Mason Fine

ABrownGMG

37 minutes ago, RealMeanGreenMatt said:

How many scores do we have to go up on Beth Cook before we see O'Hara & Shanbour in mop duty? Will Shanbour ever leave the doghouse? 

If it gets to that point, I hope Fine gets 100% of the snaps. I don't want to see any other QB after Morris other than Fine......

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Coach loves Fine!!! Who was the last UNT Qb to play as a true freshman and how did that work? With Alec we saw the best Qb we have seen in years even with the picks! My arm is worn out from First Down! I think the coach is going slow with him strictly because his size and strength! ( not ht) Get into the 4 - 5th game then make the call! Watch Fines play on the crossing catch. He is back with feet set in a nano second! This will serve him well on staying healthy! Gmg 

6 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

McNulty

6 hours ago, Big E said:

Yep, McNulty came in at QB as a true freshman and scored the very first touchdown at Apogee vs. Houston in 2011.

All true but the last true freshman we rolled out in an offense like this the kid ended up being sunbelt freshman of the year, 3rd team freshman all-American, and set some freshman records that still haven't been broken.

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

All true but the last true freshman we rolled out in an offense like this the kid ended up being sunbelt freshman of the year, 3rd team freshman all-American, and set some freshman records that still haven't been broken.

Yes, and McNulty was never named starter, except one game due to injury.  Vizza became starter at the beginning of conference play in '07, IIRC (I know it was the LaLa game).

24 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Yes, and McNulty was never named starter, except one game due to injury.  Vizza became starter at the beginning of conference play in '07, IIRC (I know it was the LaLa game).

And didn't he quit because of he was tired of the nagging injuries due to the continuous pounding? I know I just opened the floodgates for diabetes jokes....

Edited by Got5onIt

4 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

If it gets to that point, I hope Fine gets 100% of the snaps. I don't want to see any other QB after Morris other than Fine......

If we are up big, early (mid second), I hope we see Fine. Assuming we are still up big early fourth quarter, I want to see O'hara and/or Shanbour. No point in risking injury to Fine at that point and it would be nice to know what we have with the other two in case Morris gets hurt and one has to backup Fine.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

And didn't he quit because of he was tired of the nagging injuries due to the continuous pounding? I know I just opened the floodgates for diabetes jokes....

No, at least that was never what he said.  He definitely took a beating (I don't remember him injured much, though), but he said he quit because he was tired of all the losing.

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Strong chance we never see either of those guys.

Is it a "doghouse" if they just aren't as good as Morris/Fine?

Has to be a doghouse.  I've heard tell Quinn is the best on the roster, quickest release and super mobile!  Wasn't it only Vito/McCarney/Chico/everyone associated with Mean Green Football, keeping him down?

Damn Doghouse

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

If we are up big, early (mid second), I hope we see Fine. Assuming we are still up big early fourth quarter, I want to see O'hara and/or Shanbour. No point in risking injury to Fine at that point and it would be nice to know what we have with the other two in case Morris gets hurt and one has to backup Fine.

I just want to win. IF(and that's a BIG if) we win going away then put in the back-ups and get guys some experience. Freshman need to be playing right now at any opportunity that presents itself. We can't worry about protecting red-shirts. We just don't have enough bodies under scholarship.  We need as many experienced players on this team now and in the future. But the first priority this week is simply to win. This team and this fan-base needs it right now.

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Green P1 said:

Has to be a doghouse.  I've heard tell Quinn is the best on the roster, quickest release and super mobile!  Wasn't it only Vito/McCarney/Chico/everyone associated with Mean Green Football, keeping him down?

Damn Doghouse

Wasn't Shanbour hurt the vast majority of fall camp?

19 hours ago, NewNTfan said:

not the big lineman, but the skill people.  I heard he benches over 300 which is pretty good for skill guys straight out of high school.  The big guys are a totally different category.  If they aren't benching 400-450 something is wrong.

Welcome to the Mean Green family.  We hope all of you NE Okies hang around long after Mr.'s Fine and Pirtle set many records in Denton.

Oh, and our NewNTfan stated that Fine might be the strongest PER POUND.  Big difference.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

15 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

No, at least that was never what he said.  He definitely took a beating (I don't remember him injured much, though), but he said he quit because he was tired of all the losing.

23 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

If Fine were redshirted he would have ZERO game experience next year when we should be improved in most other areas.  How do you know that bulking up would reduce his chances of injury?  You're not going to make him 6-3, 210 pounds with his frame.  He is in tremendous shape and the added weight might diminish his ability to get out of the way.  He and Riley Dodge are not that much alike, especially in temperament, and unlike Dodge, Fine was not injured in high school.  Fine is a quarterback.  Dodge was an athlete playing quarterback.

Littrell is closer to the situation than anyone on this board and I believe that if Seth thought that his quarterback needed more physical development that he would've redshirted him.

Not really.  The reason Fine is getting a sniff is because other than Morris, there are no FBS-quality QBs on the roster.  Littrell's other choices, which aren't really choices at all, are the JUCO kid who couldn't cut it at an FCS, and Shanbour who has stuck around for years, but can't crack the two-deep.

Beating out out FCS-Failed JUCO and Shanbour aren't high bars to cross.

He's playing by default of the bad QB situation left to Littrell.  Keep hoping and praying he isn't injured because if he is, Morris' backup is all of the sudden one of two guys who don't have FBS talent.  And, one, we already know, doesn't even have FCS talent.  

By the way, Popular Backup from last year is starting at a DII this year.  Went 13-38 for 277 in his DII debut.  Lost 50-29after falling into a 36-0 hole in the first half.  At least he's accustomed to losing.  His accuracy hasn't improved with the drop in competition either.  http://www.kwcpanthers.com/boxscore.aspx?id=6189&path=

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Get Fine into some rotation this year, then count on 3 solid years from him as a starter.  If this offense gets rolling and Littrell and Co can start reeling in TX QBs of their choice, we don't really need 4 solid years out of a QB.  Hell, maybe even only 2.

Obviously, that's an optimistic take on things long term.  Let's see how games 2-3 of the Seth era pan out.

16 minutes ago, NT91 said:

How tall is Fine..5' 10"

Uh oh here we go again......

Where's the guy who came swinging in on Mason Fine's ball sack and called us all idiots? 

I like Fine and it looks like he might be the best QB on the roster, but it's apparent NT's QB woes aren't going away this year. Morris might be topped out and Fine will have to get acclimated on the fly. Future looks bright but, currently, it's still an issue....

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1