Dennis Dodd makes a valid point

Harry

His question is why did not every G5 contact the Big 12 about membership consideration?

The truth is, if Arkansas State, Northern Illinois and Rice are throwing their hats into the Big 12 ring, should we and a lot of other G5's as well?  Did someone at UNT just make a decision to not pursue it?  Or perhaps, we are just not in a good place or time to pursue it?  Self esteem?  Lack of resources or that the resources should be focused on more important things?

Here's the deal -- The Worst thing that could happen is they say no, and I doubt they can arbitrarily leave some schools out without catching some discrimination grief...

2 hours ago, Harry said:

His question is why did not every G5 contact the Big 12 about membership consideration?

The truth is, if Arkansas State, Northern Illinois and Rice are throwing their hats into the Big 12 ring, should we and a lot of other G5's as well?  Did someone at UNT just make a decision to not pursue it?  Or perhaps, we are just not in a good place or time to pursue it?  Self esteem?  Lack of resources or that the resources should be focused on more important things?

Here's the deal -- The Worst thing that could happen is they say no, and I doubt they can arbitrarily leave some schools out without catching some discrimination grief...

I made a thread about this. Yes, we should've/should throw our name in the hat. That should go without saying. But, apparently, Ricky V decided to not get "laughed at" according to some on here. A freakin' disgrace is what that man was to this athletic department. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Really good point @Harry. You have to ask for what you want. You have to pursue it. You also have to tell people why you are great and deserve it. If you keep saying it over and over more people will begin to believe just because they keep hearing it.

The truth is, UNT would be great in the Big 12. All of the grads that don't support now would start too. We have a lot of alumni and they would support it. We'd be a better choice than many that are already in the conference. Problem is, the people in charge don't think we deserve it, like that is even relevant.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

RV had no desire to move up.  He basically said that when we joined CUSA.  The new AD has either just started or will start next week.   There's no way we can present a credible plan to join another conference.  

In the eye's of the Big12 a credible plan wouldn't be credible anyway. Prez and Co. just need to throw whatever they can together in an auto-slide powerpoint and send it. It's about getting the UNT brand into the air, nothing more. If it were to maturate then great, but that's not what this is about. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I made a thread about this. Yes, we should've/should throw our name in the hat. That should go without saying. But, apparently, Ricky V decided to not get "laughed at" according to some on here. A freakin' disgrace is what that man was to this athletic department. 

Dude. You made a thread about it after I publicly wondered why UNT administration AND UNT fans had no problem not throwing UNT's hat in the ring. 

Do you often take credit for others ideas?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 10

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

Dude. You made a thread about it after I publicly wondered why UNT administration AND UNT fans had no problem not throwing UNT's hat in the ring. 

I didn't take credit for anything. I just said that I made a thread about just this topic. Which...I did? 

Well before you were shaming UNT fans (as usual), I was calling for the school to throw the name in the hat. Don't be so naive as if you were the ONLY person hoping this would happen. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

UNT Athletics since 1995-

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzJiZ87KgmOFof9a-KpfJ

When I first got re-involved with UNT athletics, my first impression of the athletic department was "small time." Over the years that impression changed to incompetent. 

Welcome, Wren Baker. You have a massive job in front of you. Please succeed. 

2 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I didn't take credit for anything. I just said that I made a thread about just this topic. Which...I did? 

Well before you were shaming UNT fans (as usual), I was calling for the school to throw the name in the hat. Don't be so naive as if you were the ONLY person hoping this would happen. 

Really? Privately to you friends? Because you didn't say a peep about it on here until I brought it up.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9

3 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

When I first got re-involved with UNT athletics, my first impression of the athletic department was "small time." Over the years that impression changed to incompetent. 

Welcome, Wren Baker. You have a massive job in front of you. Please succeed. 

Really? Privately to you friends? Because you didn't say a peep about it on here until I brought it up.

I'm not going to dig through my 5k posts to find it. I did. If you want to soldify your idocracy, dig away. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

40 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

38 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

36 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

31 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I'm not going to dig through my 5k posts to find it. I did. If you want to soldify your idocracy, dig away. 

26 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Na, we both know. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

The more important part of the article is where he breaks down the true reason Texas and OU want to remain in the big 12.  If they leave the they are no longer the 600 pound gorilla on the block...in te SEC or another league they're just another monkey

Yes, until the LHN contract runs out.  Then, as cables influence is dwindling now, it will be more splintered then.  ESPN will have lost money on the deal and won't re-up.

At that point, Texas jumps ship, Oklahoma follows, and Kansas is thrown a lifeline by either the Big Ten or Big East because of basketball.

Until then, the Big 12 may rent a space or two to a Houston or BYU.  But, it will be for much less money that the rest of the Big 12 schools make.  They'll pay a high entry fee, give up most their money while a member, then be left when OU, Texas, and KU split when the LHN deal runs out.

The untold truth is that no one from the administration was willing to stick their neck out financially to pursue a better conference for our athletic programs.  The only time that we made any kind of move in that direction we were turned down by CUSA and UTEP was accepted.  We did not have the facilities, attendance or financial backing was supposedly the reason.  

It began back in 1981 when Chancellor Hurley decided that we couldn't have academics and athletics on our budget.  It was easier to get money from the state for academics (in fact it was illegal to use state monies for athletics) and so athletics was dropped a level because we would've needed another 10,000 seats added to Fouts, more money for additional scholarships, and many more large investors for backing and improvements.  Dr. Hurley was right.  To his credit he did improve academics which is the most important mission of our university.  But, for twelve long years our sports suffered.

Even when we returned to the Division 1A level in 1994 we were woefully underfunded.  We couldn't afford to pay for good coaches or administrators.  Travel costs hurt us badly when we were in the Big West and that kept us from improving until the Sun Belt started.  As much as we badmouthed the SBC, the four consecutive bowls allowed us to begin moving toward a new stadium and improved stature again.  Pow!  Then nine straight seasons with losing records took its toll with fans and supporters.  Frankly, we were lucky to be accepted by CUSA.  

But, YES!  Now is the time to start throwing our name in some pots.  I hope that it's one of Wren's early acts.  And, due to his earlier contacts while at Memphis, the AAC might be a good possibility since their commissioner sent him a congratulatory message when he accepted the Vice President and Athletic Director's job here.  So, at least he's known and respected.  I hope that it's also on WB's agenda to begin friendly relations with other members of any conference to which we aspire.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

The untold truth is that no one from the administration was willing to stick their neck out financially to pursue a better conference for our athletic programs.  The only time that we made any kind of move in that direction we were turned down by CUSA and UTEP was accepted.  We did not have the facilities, attendance or financial backing was supposedly the reason.  

It began back in 1981 when Chancellor Hurley decided that we couldn't have academics and athletics on our budget.  It was easier to get money from the state for academics (in fact it was illegal to use state monies for athletics) and so athletics was dropped a level because we would've needed another 10,000 seats added to Fouts, more money for additional scholarships, and many more large investors for backing and improvements.  Dr. Hurley was right.  To his credit he did improve academics which is the most important mission of our university.  But, for twelve long years our sports suffered.

Even when we returned to the Division 1A level in 1994 we were woefully underfunded.  We couldn't afford to pay for good coaches or administrators.  Travel costs hurt us badly when we were in the Big West and that kept us from improving until the Sun Belt started.  As much as we badmouthed the SBC, the four consecutive bowls allowed us to begin moving toward a new stadium and improved stature again.  Pow!  Then nine straight seasons with losing records took its toll with fans and supporters.  Frankly, we were lucky to be accepted by CUSA.  

But, YES!  Now is the time to start throwing our name in some pots.  I hope that it's one of Wren's early acts.  And, due to his earlier contacts while at Memphis, the AAC might be a good possibility since their commissioner sent him a congratulatory message when he accepted the Vice President and Athletic Director's job here.  So, at least he's known and respected.  I hope that it's also on WB's agenda to begin friendly relations with other members of any conference to which we aspire.

Agree 100%.  My sense is most of the applicants know they aren't getting in, but it positions them as a team who "was considered" for the next round of realignment.

The fact that we aren't applying is embarrassing. If you don't think you're good enough to deserve more, why should anyone else?

We are a better choice than most of the schools on that list. What the whole thing values most is money. And money takes fans. We have the potential for a lot of them. More than pretty much everyone on the list except a few. This is what we should be selling. Plus, you tack on the bandwagon fans we'd get for being so close to Dallas if we were ranked (see SMU basketball) and it's a good fit.

I hope The Wren and Smatresk want this for UNT. And more importantly start expecting it.

• Upvote 2