SMU opens -10.5 versus UNT

Harry

27 minutes ago, NTXCoog said:

Technically it's a neutral site game, not a roadie.

It's a roadie that will have more OU in the stands than Houston. Game day atmosphere will be in a different location for the Sooners.  Result might be slightly less embarrassing for Houston than it would be in Norman; but, not much.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It's the stereotypical class warfare rivalry.  It's good stuff and I hope we keep it going.
The stereotypes are that SMU alumni are wealthy people who have everything in life handed to them because they came from wealth.  While UNT alumni are blue-collar people making music, teaching, or other jobs to make a living.  
Of course, not everyone fits into these stereotypes.  I know a few SMU kids that did not come from wealth and are down-to-earth people.   I know some UNT alumni who came from wealth and spoiled rotten.

tumblr_lr4l9c6zmk1qhq1pjo1_500.gif

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

The disdain is that it doesn't fit the popular narrative that anything scheduled by RV must be awful and it takes up a schedule spot that some seem to think can be filled by UT, Ohio State or the like in a home and away series.  

The reality is it a very good series for both programs at this time.   Both get an opponent that they match up with that their fans can easily make an away game.  NT gets a very marketable game on their schedule that they should be able to compete with.    SMU get an oc opponent that brings a lot of fans into Ford that they actually have some advantages over.   

Except SMU fans don't care about the UNT game and only travel 200 fans to Denton. 

Might as well be playing LaLa

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Lolz. Hardly, but whatever it takes to pretend to have a rivalry, right?

I work with several SMU grads who are smart, hardworking peeps. 

But again, that doesn't jive with your football rivalry generalizations. 

So according to your view, all UNT students must be poor, stupid working class people who couldn't get into a better school, right? Because isn't that the way this foolish game works?

How many times do you think you have to tell the board (yourself) that smug is not hated? Different people of all ages keep disagreeing with you. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

How about I put it this way.

I hate SMU. Why?

j26GJNu.jpg

And they don't care that you hate them. As a matter of fact, they rarely think of UNT fans at all. 

Thats the way rivalries work, right?

3 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

How many times do you think you have to tell the board (yourself) that smug is not hated? Different people of all ages keep disagreeing with you. 

Oh, about 20 people on here have delusional hate for them, no doubt. 

20 people.

It's the typical "set your sights slightly above zero" mentality of the UNT fan base.,

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

3 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

And they don't care that you hate them. As a matter of fact, they rarely think of UNT fans at all. 

Thats the way rivalries work, right?

Oh, about 20 people on here have delusional hate for them, no doubt. 

20 people.

It's the typical "set your sights slightly above zero" mentality of the UNT fan base.,

I think this calls for a poll...

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Only older, extremely hard core fans have misplaced disdain for SMU.

Others just see them as another regional OOC game. 

I know many, many of my current students from the last two years and even this week have mentioned their desire to win this game because of its rivalry and the dynamic between both institutions.

And these are music students for Christ'sakes.

• Upvote 6

13 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

I know many, many of my current students from the last two years and even this week have mentioned their desire to win this game because of its rivalry and the dynamic between both institutions.

And these are music students for Christ'sakes.

Hope!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

32 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Maybe you should have screened better.

I mean, if 2 are bad, they all HAVE to be bad, right? 

Ahh, playing to old assumption game again.  They cleared screenings and had their degrees, but lacked a basic understanding of our business and didn't want to work hard.  Having a lack of basic principles of our business, yet obtaining a degree in that field tells my that are not properly prepared by the school.

27 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I think this calls for a poll...

Worthless.  90 is always right in his mind and will twist results/comments to fit his agenda.  Should work on the Hillary campaign.  Perfect fit.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Worthless.  90 is always right in his mind and will twist results/comments to fit his agenda.  Should work on the Hillary campaign.  Perfect fit.

What's funny is I never make statements like this about you or others because I understand different people have different opinions. 

But by all means, keep up the personal attacks. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

3 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see a final score of 42-32 and having it go either way

Morris has had one more year on Littrell in terms of system and secruiting so his team, on paper, should be better. But we almost always show up in Denton, especially against smut

Should be a fun game to watch. Key to stopping smut will be to spy the shit out of Davis and not let him get 10+ yards a carry

Seems like we could do this last game until our defense got tired and demoralized by the lack of offense in the 2nd half.  Isn't this basically the same UNT defense?

2 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

It's a roadie that will have more OU in the stands than Houston. Game day atmosphere will be in a different location for the Sooners.  Result might be slightly less embarrassing for Houston than it would be in Norman; but, not much.

Hmmm...  So that's why the UH section sold out WAY before the OU section.  Projections have been 60-40 UH fans.  Guaranteed at least 30k UH fans there (24k season tickets plus 5k student tickets)

• Downvote 2

6 hours ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

I don't understand the disdain for this series.  All we have talked about all off season (and the past two offseasons) is the game with SMU.  It allows us a home game every over year against a team our fans and students recognize and have disdain for.  It allows us a road game every other year that is an easy road game to travel too.  

I have a love/hate relationship for this series.....

I Love playing SMU

I HATE SMU

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Except SMU fans don't care about the UNT game and only travel 200 fans to Denton. 

The Mean Green (1-1) is now 2-0 against the Mustangs at Fouts Field and 4-27-1 overall in the series.North Texas last defeated SMU, 14-7, in 1990 at Fouts Field.

The two teams last met in 1990, resulting in a 28-14 win for SMU (0-2). The victory is the program’s first home-opening win since 2003 over Baylor. The announced crowd of 25,231 is the third largest to watch a game at Fouts Field.

They showed in '06. They didn't come in '14 because the game started before their morning martini.

2 hours ago, NTXCoog said:

Hmmm...  So that's why the UH section sold out WAY before the OU section.  Projections have been 60-40 UH fans.  Guaranteed at least 30k UH fans there (24k season tickets plus 5k student tickets)

Bold + bold equals like 29K, dude. Don't smug up your attendance. 

• Downvote 2

4 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Seems to me that SMU has the problem if they only bring a few hundred fans, not NT.  

Yes, Lala would really fire up the home crowd, get more media coverage, and NT will travel thousands to Lafayette because the cajun food is better.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

They showed in '06. They didn't come in '14 because the game started before their morning martini.

No, they didn't. UNT fans showed after a bowl season in 2013. There may have been 200-300 SMU fans in the stadium.

19 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Seems to me that SMU has the problem if they only bring a few hundred fans, not NT.  

Yes, Lala would really fire up the home crowd, get more media coverage, and NT will travel thousands to Lafayette because the cajun food is better.   

Really? Because UNT brought about 8k to the Hilltop.

A series slanted in SMU's favor. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

11 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

No, they didn't. UNT fans showed after a bowl season in 2013. There may have been 200-300 SMU fans in the stadium.

Really? Because UNT brought about 8k to the Hilltop.

A series slanted in SMU's favor. 

Kind of proves my point doesn't it.   Name another regular season away game, that has drawn that many NT fans?  

They will bring a lot more fans this time, but even if they don't it doesn't matter because the game will still be one of NT's best attended home games.    

• Upvote 5

13 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Kind of proves my point doesn't it.   Name another regular season away game, that has drawn that many NT fans?  

They will bring a lot more fans this time, but even if they don't it doesn't matter because the game will still be one of NT's best attended home games.    

The only non-SMU regular season games outside of Denton that I recall with better NT attendance were at neutral sites in Irving and Dallas. Never been to an NT game at Amon Carter, but I doubt we've had any true regular season away games where we've traveled better than we have to SMU's home stadiums.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, risinggreen said:

The only non-SMU regular season games outside of Denton that I recall with better NT attendance were at neutral sites in Irving and Dallas. Never been to an NT game at Amon Carter, but I doubt we've had any true regular season away games where we've traveled better than we have to SMU's home stadiums.

Actually, there has been one game that I think may have been better traveled.   Not counting Texas Stadium or Cotton Bowl games.