SMU opens -10.5 versus UNT

Harry

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Did you even read what I posted? 

And holding Cosh accountable for coaching one year of a defense on which he had no personnel that he recruited and following a DC that didn't recruit is ridiculous and show a lack of a college football IQ. 

Well Skladany didn't seem to have a problem and I'd bet money that Ekeler won't have one either.

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

Well Skladany didn't seem to have a problem and I'd bet money that Ekeler won't have one either.

Skladany DID have a problem in 2014 when the offense became the king of the three and out. Those problems continued under Cosh. I think Skladany saw the talent he had coming back on defense and knew that he was going to get zero help from the offense and bailed. Pretty smart on his part, don't you think?

What do you consider "not a problem" as far as Ekler is concerned and are you really prepared to "bet money" or was that just an expression. Because if you don't crawfish like Ben, maybe we can work something out.

65 scholarship players. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Here was Skladany's problem:

The 2013 squad had these seniors that were not replaced well enough by the entire coaching staff at the time - Skladany included:

-Derek Thompson
-Brandin Byrd
-Brelan Chancellor
-Darnell Smith
-Drew Miller
-Chris Anyiam
-Daniel Prior

Although he didn't coach the offense, that was a heck of a lot to lose.  Whether you like Thompson or not, he did move the 2013 squad and keep them on the field long enough to help out the defense, who in return, more than helped out the offense that year.

The entire defensive line's starters:
-Richard Abbe
-Ryan Boutwell
-Brandon McCoy
-Aaron Bellazin

Two of the three starting linebackers:
-Zack Orr
-Will Wright

Secondary and team leader Marcus Trice also played his last game at the Heart of Dallas Bowl.

The truth is, after these guys left, Skaldany and company hadn't recruited or developed enough behind it.  There is no arguing that.  Six of the starting front seven were gone, and Skladany and McCarney hadn't back filled with enough recruits for the unit to do much in 2014  Then, Skaldany walked, leaving  the whole mess with Cosh.

I'll never say that Cosh doesn't bear much of the blame.  But, he was here less than a calendar year.  Skladany was here for three season and should have been more than ale to recruit and develop.  Maybe he had retiring on his mind at that point.

Whatever.  But, let's not get caught in this notion that Cosh came in here with the same set up Skladany did.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Just a follow up thought: There's more to this debate than what the fans will like, right?

I am referring to the notion that we - UNT, SMU and TCU - compete as the largest universities in one of the largest media markets in the country.  Would beating SMU not be good for us in the sense that local news would be forced to show us as the victor over one of the two other major schools?  In a battle for page space, or media presence in general, it would be a lot more difficult to ignore us (locally, at least).  Are there examples of newspapers on Monday highlighting a SMU loss and bumping a UNT victory to the small print on the back page?

I don't know one way or the other.  How were we treated compared to TCU and SMU the Sunday/Monday following our victory over Indiana?

No. It's the Big 1 and the little 2 as far as the media is concerned.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On August 11, 2016 at 2:31 PM, UNT90 said:

Consistently winning against recognizable programs advances our program. 

Thats what got TCU to where they are. 

You want to go there or are you happy getting your ass handed to you once or twice a year at a P5 to make enough money to be an average CUSA team? 

Except for 2013, average in the SBCUSA would be a dream...

8 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Lol. This is the delusional hatred and the way overvaluing a terrible SMU program that UNT fans do on a consistent basis. Beating SMU will mean more to recruits than a victory over a Big 10 team?  Delusional lunacy.,

Well, we didn't get "throttled" by K State the last time we played them at Fouts, did we?

For people who are supposedly UNT fans and supposedly believe Luttrell is the guy to turn this around, you Mofos sure do lack confidence in the product that will be on the field in a couple of years. 

Why is that? I mean this is from people who always accuse me of being negative, but when I try to suggest something that will give this program a chance to take off, these same people assume UNT will get blown out at home by a P5. 

That's optimism, right? 

So dumb.

SMU gets P5s to their tiny 30k seat stadium. But you say UNT can't. Typical negativity from a UNT fan who doesn't believe in the product, program, or new AD.

I think that at this point, UNT just has to prove they can be a winning program more than once in a blue moon. When you realize that we have had exactly 5 winning seasons in the last 25 years, it's very easy to believe it just can't happen here. If Littrell can't turn this around, the rest of the CFB world isn't going to hold it against him because outside of this website, nobody believes you can win here.

But if Littrell does turn us into a winner in the next three years, he's going to be hailed as a miracle worker. He's got a FCS roster, with very little size and talent. To build this up is going to take a huge upgrade of talent. And that talent has to get developed in the years ahead. It's why a <2 win season won't tell us anything about Littrell as a head coach, just like it didn't tell us anything about Chad Morris at SMU last year as a head coach. 

I think people on this site don't want to admit just how much of a crater we are in from the McCarney regime. You cannot go 4 years with terrible recruiting that now leaves us with less than 70 scholarships. A category 5 hurricane decimated this place on Homecoming last year. You cannot endure something like that and expect to be able to bounce right back up. It's gonna take years (at least three) to get a winner around here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I think that at this point, UNT just has to prove they can be a winning program more than once in a blue moon. When you realize that we have had exactly 5 winning seasons in the last 25 years, it's very easy to believe it just can't happen here. If Littrell can't turn this around, the rest of the CFB world isn't going to hold it against him because outside of this website, nobody believes you can win here.

But if Littrell does turn us into a winner in the next three years, he's going to be hailed as a miracle worker. He's got a FCS roster, with very little size and talent. To build this up is going to take a huge upgrade of talent. And that talent has to get developed in the years ahead. It's why a <2 win season won't tell us anything about Littrell as a head coach, just like it didn't tell us anything about Chad Morris at SMU last year as a head coach. 

I think people on this site don't want to admit just how much of a crater we are in from the McCarney regime. You cannot go 4 years with terrible recruiting that now leaves us with less than 70 scholarships. A category 5 hurricane decimated this place on Homecoming last year. You cannot endure something like that and expect to be able to bounce right back up. It's gonna take years (at least three) to get a winner around here.

You made me sad. i do think your right. but i drink a lot of beer on game day and a lot of green punch. i have hope and faithful to the Mean Green.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Agree. The one caveat is if Fine or some other recruit proves to be an exceptional CUSA QB.

That can cover a lot of warts on a G5 football team. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Skladany DID have a problem in 2014 when the offense became the king of the three and out. Those problems continued under Cosh. I think Skladany saw the talent he had coming back on defense and knew that he was going to get zero help from the offense and bailed. Pretty smart on his part, don't you think?

What do you consider "not a problem" as far as Ekler is concerned and are you really prepared to "bet money" or was that just an expression. Because if you don't crawfish like Ben, maybe we can work something out.

65 scholarship players. 

I'm down. What are the metrics by which we will consider it improved? Ranking? Yards per game? Points per game (must exclude pick 6s)? Forced turnovers? After we know what we are betting on, we will come to terms on the wager.

29 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

So, I put 90 on ignore but everyone has to quote is inane dribble, so it ends up showing up on my screen anyway. Is there a setting to block his quotes?  This DB has worn me out. 

See, this would get me a stern be nice warning, but since it's directed at me, no worries.

#mystruggle.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 8

On 8/12/2016 at 9:01 PM, UNTLifer said:

So, I put 90 on ignore but everyone has to quote is inane dribble, so it ends up showing up on my screen anyway. Is there a setting to block his quotes?  This DB has worn me out. 

Cliffs Notes:  RV was bad x 25,000 posts.  So, essentially, second verse same as the first.  You're missing nothing.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

Tim to rip off the rearview mirror of the buick and start looking forward.  I know my green sunglasses are in the glove box.  I think the program was under bad leadership.  I still not saying we win more than three games this year but I hope to see we are moving in the right direction.  It is hard to get a feel for the team watching the scrimmage game. I think Fine may turn out to be Fine!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Cliffs Notes:  RV was bad x 25,000 posts.  So, essentially, second verse same as the first.  You're missing nothing.

And if it were up to you, RV would still be here and would retire from UNT in another 5 years.

So who is really worse?

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2