MGB breaking news -- Smiley suspended for SMU game

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

See, you completely ignore the fact that Smiley is facing that one game suspension ON TOP of what the criminal justice system mets out as punishment. So ya, the regular college kid gets LESS punishment for this criminal offense than Smiley will endure. 

And no, I don't feel remorse. 

Did you drive after those "couple of glasses of wine?" If so, chances are you were over the legal limit. 

Here is a clue. No one ever thinks they are intoxicated, especially when they are at a .09 or .10. Most think they can function normally, yet are legally drunk. So when you had those two glasses of wine (or the equivalent of 4 to 5 Coors lights because wine has about a 15% alcohol concentration), you may have been exactly at the intoxication level of Smiley. Kinda ironic, dontcha think? 

Also, while its great you are at a station in life where you have the credit to obtain a credit card, many 21 year olds are not, especially if they come from a low socio-economic background. And their parents may not have a credit card, either. Can't get uber or lyft wothout one.

People always think about theyselves when applying their standards to others. Human nature. 

Dude.  No.   To all of it.   

If he were a regular college kid, he could be terminated from his job for this... ON TOP of what the criminal justice system hands down as punishment.  This kind of thing happens in all phases of life.

And something may have been lost in translation on my remorse comment.  So let me clarify.  If you have no remorse for wanting a 1/2 or 0 game suspension for this, then whatever, that's just like your opinion, man.   If you have no remorse for driving drunk in the past...  You're a piece of garbage.

Have you ever had wine at a restaurant before?   They give you like 5oz.  So no, it's not like "4 or 5 Coors lights".  You're not getting anywhere near the limit off a glass of wine, or even 2 (which I cannot bring myself to purchase for the price) unless you're drinking some kind of fortified wine.  I think you & I can agree that unless you have a severe eating disorder, 2 Shiners won't get you anywhere near the limit either.

And I'm pretty willing to bet that Mr. Smiley has a bank debit card, which works just fine for Uber.

All the above BS aside...   This is about Mr. Smiley, his mistake, the ramifications (crashing into something hard enough for the airbags to deploy), and his consequences (legal & otherwise).    A 1-game suspension is MORE THAN FAIR.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If he were a regular college kid, he could be terminated from his job for this... ON TOP of what the criminal justice system hands down as punishment.  This kind of thing happens in all phases of life.

And something may have been lost in translation on my remorse comment.  So let me clarify.  If you have no remorse for wanting a 1/2 or 0 game suspension for this, then whatever, that's just like your opinion, man.   If you have no remorse for driving drunk in the past...  You're a piece of garbage.

Have you ever had wine at a restaurant before?   They give you like 5oz.  So no, it's not like "4 or 5 Coors lights".  You're not getting anywhere near the limit off a glass of wine, or even 2 (which I cannot bring myself to purchase for the price) unless you're drinking some kind of fortified wine.  I think you & I can agree that unless you have a severe eating disorder, 2 Shiners won't get you anywhere near the limit either.

And I'm pretty willing to bet that Mr. Smiley has a bank debit card, which works just fine for Uber.

All the above BS aside...   This is about Mr. Smiley, his mistake, the ramifications (crashing into something hard enough for the airbags to deploy), and his consequences (legal & otherwise).    A 1-game suspension is MORE THAN FAIR.

As would have been a half a game.

So why are we arguing again? 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

5 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

As would have been a half a game.

So why are we arguing again? 

Reading your post, I got that you were kinda sweeping it under the rug as not a big deal... simply because he's sitting in a wrecked car saying he shouldn't have done that, instead of running off.

I apologize if that's not what you meant, but now at least all of GMG.com knows my drinking habits a little better!

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Reading your post, I got that you were kinda sweeping it under the rug as not a big deal... simply because he's sitting in a wrecked car saying he shouldn't have done that, instead of running off.

I apologize if that's not what you meant, but now at least all of GMG.com knows my drinking habits a little better!

In the grand scheme of life and in the eyes of the law, it's a minor offense. He should be punished and move on. I think he deserves a lesser punishment because of his honesty. That is all.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Very few college kids have jobs that would terminate them for a DWI!!

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Let's look at what Smiley DIDNT do.

The reporting seems to indicate that he hit a parked car or other fixed object (no mention of another driver and Smiley called police himself). He didn't leave the scene of the accident. He could have left a note on the car he hit, left his car, and gone home and reported the next morning to avoid a DWI charge. But he didn't. He stood up and took responsibility for what he did. He called police on himself. He didn't lie about drinking or apparently how much he had (5 beers over a couple of hours would put his BAC at about the level he tears for). He told the officer he shouldn't have been driving. 

Yes, he made the initial mistake but didn't complicate it by hiding his behavior. This is a lesson several posters on here recently demonstrated they haven't learned at a much older age. 

Glad it was only one game. Give this fact set, I may have made it for just the first half of the SMU game. 

This.  Smiley handled it like a lot of adults would not.  Honestly, I am proud of him and fully expect him to work hks way back in to a starting position.  There are a number of professional athletes, celebrities and others that could learn something from his actions.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Why do you think a regular college kid would be terminated from his job?   I would think that would be unusual after one dwi.  

Not sure where you get your drinking to the limit data.  A lot of factors primarily size and speed of drinking contribute, two shiners or two glasses of wine consumed within an hour will get most people over the limit.  

The one game suspension is next to nothing and probably appropriate under the circumstances.  

1 hour ago, 4MYMGE said:

Turner Smiley is a good kid that will be just fine.  I will be rooting for him to get past this and if it keeps the same thing from happening to other kids...then we will all be okay. 

Sounds like you know him.  That is good to hear.  I am pulling for him.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

Agreed with you never beating fry, its hard to believe that the Athletic Department doesn't have some form of a taxi service for student athletes.. If anything he could have called a coach or something... 

Like TexasA&M ? 

have to give Smiley credit sounds like he handled it like a man and did not lie and try to weasel out of it. He screwed up admitted to the police and now serving punishment handed out, hope it is a learning experience for him. Sucks to miss him in SMU game, but hopefully he takes the knockdown and gets right back up.

Case closed

20 hours ago, UNT90 said:

These are some of the most honest statements I've ever seen from a DWI suspect. That deserves a reward. 

The DA's office will appreciate his assistance with their argument, and if his case falls into the "wrong" court, well... In the criminal justice system, there are repercussions for dishonesty *and* honesty.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RushnStudies said:

The DA's office will appreciate his assistance with their argument, and if his case falls into the "wrong" court, well... In the criminal justice system, there are repercussions for dishonesty *and* honesty.

Actually, this will help him with his sentence. It's mitigating behavior. And his attorney will point that out to the judge and prosecutor time after time. Does it ensure a conviction? Probably. Is it a major consideration in punishment? 

ABSOLUTELY. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, UNT90 said:

Actually, this will help him with his sentence. It's mitigating behavior. And his attorney will point that out to the judge and prosecutor time after time. Does it ensure a conviction? Probably. Is it a major consideration in punishment? 

ABSOLUTELY. 

It is. Especially if he gets the "wrong" judge.

1 minute ago, RushnStudies said:

It is. Especially if he gets the "wrong" judge.

Then you plea open to a jury. The judge doesn't get to make any decision. He has very knowledgable representation. This isn't rocket science. 

Not to mention that prosecutors will most likely be impressed with this oddly honest behavior, which they rarely see. This will probably be pleaded, which again takes the judge completely out of the picture. 

And lastly, no judge in Denton county is getting all worked up over a 1st time DWI. Ever. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

It isn't. I'm not trying to be contrary for the sake of being contrary. It *should* be an easy case to mitigate because he did accept responsibility, etc. I guess my caution is colored by years of working with the courts in Harris County-- where a defendant stood a better chance of receiving punishment than lenience.

13 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Why do you think a regular college kid would be terminated from his job?   I would think that would be unusual after one dwi.  

Not sure where you get your drinking to the limit data.  A lot of factors primarily size and speed of drinking contribute, two shiners or two glasses of wine consumed within an hour will get most people over the limit.  

The one game suspension is next to nothing and probably appropriate under the circumstances.  

I sure hope not, because if it does I better be more careful.

http://www.moderation.org/bac/bac-men.shtml#1hour

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, UNT90 said:

It always amuses me how one wants tough punishment for a college kid who did exactly what that guy did when he was in college, except he didn't get caught. 

He didn't hurt anyone. Yes, he could have, but he didn't. You don't punish people for what could have happened. 

These are some of the most honest statements I've ever seen from a DWI suspect. That deserves a reward. Otherwise you just encourage him to lie the next time something goes wrong in his life. 

90:  the flaming, bleeding heart liberal...when it comes to UNT football players.

• Upvote 1