MGB: UNT picks up JC quarterback

Brett Vito

9 hours ago, cdizzle86 said:

Shanbour damn near winning the starting job?! Sorry man, but anything you heard to make you think that was just coach speak and to keep the players playing hard during spring camp. I think we can all agree that our depth at QB is very weak, but Shanbour is not an FBS QB. Why do you think we added O'Hara?

I agree with you. I'm just pointing out how down in the dumps the QB talent is here. Many people think a  career 4th stringer is going to be the saving grace of the QB position here just because he's from Bama. Alabama QB's are bus drivers, not playmakers. It's going to be ugly next season. We'll probably see better play the 2nd half Of the year. I fully expect a couple of QB's to make starts next season.  Hell, the shorthorns can't even find a decent QB.......

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

This guy looks like he can play.  However, I also understand some folks trepidation to jump fully on board based on our past juco QB results.  I am probably missing something but I cannot recall a modern era juco QB we have signed here that has excelled...

1 hour ago, Harry said:

This guy looks like he can play.  However, I also understand some folks trepidation to jump fully on board based on our past juco QB results.  I am probably missing something but I cannot recall a juco QB we have signed here that has excelled...

Well, if we had recruited, signed, and developed any quarterback, whether high school, jc, transfer, or any combination thereof during the time McCarney and Chico were here (I'm counting Derek Thompson as a holdover), maybe I would think more of a "JC curse".  And honestly, I think Osborn could have done well, but am just convinced he pissed off McCarney somehow, and Mac had a "no exit" policy for the quarterback doghouse.  For some reason, I think the current staff is at least willing to keep trying things, and doesn't seem to be willing to had over the starting qb position without someone earning it.

Also, two other things: one, for positions like qb and dt, we may not get the first pick of the high school crop, and two, the JUCO route is just the way a lot of schools are going these days.  At least this staff is finding JUCO talent all over the country.  I've heard a lot of good about the JC programs in California.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

A finance professor at UNT would say that a lot. Dr. McDonald would use to reference that quote when people asked him about getting a law degree, or something moronic. 

Was he talking about a law degree or lawyers? ?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Harry said:

This guy looks like he can play.  However, I also understand some folks trepidation to jump fully on board based on our past juco QB results.  I am probably missing something but I cannot recall a modern era juco QB we have signed here that has excelled...

The last QB that I remember doing much at North Texas was Vidal Carlin in the mid-60's..

8 hours ago, Harry said:

Arm strength and 3/4 arm windup delivery are the biggest drawbacks.

Also, 6'5" 215lbs may lack a bit of durability behind a suspect O line. Maybe not.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Arm strength and 3/4 arm windup delivery are the biggest drawbacks.

Also, 6'5" 215lbs may lack a bit of durability behind a suspect O line. Maybe not.

Tony Romo has a 3/4 delivery.  And, he is only 6'2".   This kid is 6'5" which makes it less of an issue.

We have seen a lot of college QB's excel with less than perfect mechanics.    Mechanics issues usually seem to start to become a big problem if and when they try and go pro.

JMHO.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, akriesman said:

Tony Romo has a 3/4 delivery.  And, he is only 6'2".   This kid is 6'5" which makes it less of an issue.

We have seen a lot of college QB's excel with less than perfect mechanics.    Mechanics issues usually seem to start to become a big problem if and when they try and go pro.

JMHO.

Arm strength is the bigger issue, I think. 

DT had a windup, 3/4 arm delivery. Right now I'd kill for DT's productivity at QB. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, jtm0097 said:

A finance professor at UNT would say that a lot. Dr. McDonald would use to reference that quote when people asked him about getting a law degree, or something moronic. 

I remember James McDonald. I went to see him in his COBA office one day and above his door he had the McDonald's "golden arches" with the phrase billions and billions failed. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, NeonGreen said:

Probably because we have 2 QBs who the coaches are comfortable with at this time. It is called building depth.  This is not rocket science.  How do you know he (Shanbour) is not an FBS QB? Maybe he is and maybe he is not.  What I saw in the scrimmages and spring game tells me he will do better than anything we put out there last year, our "FBS" QBs of 2015.

Your idea of comfortable and mine must be completely different. I don't feel comfortable with a RS Junior who hasn't been able to crack the 2 deep in his career. He has been passed by any QB who has come and gone.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

See, O'Hara has actually had the crap knocked out of him, and still stands in there and takes the hit while delivering the ball.  

And he's 6'5" with quick feet.

My prediction:. O'Hara starts by the third game.

Rick

In an ideal world they would have found O'Hara sooner and he would have been here for spring practice. As it is he is going to have to do some serious catching up.

1. I hope the current staff is better at assessing JUCO talent than the previous staff.....especially JUCO QB's. 

2. I hope Mr. O'Hara is a quick study.

3. The coaches have their work cut out for them. They better get to coaching these late signees as fast as they legally can.

4. Even if Mr. O'Hara is a quick study and the coaches are doing a miraculous job of coaching, game three is very optimistic. Having said that, the depth situation at QB (on paper) is looking better and better.

• Upvote 1

On 6/5/2016 at 10:41 AM, UNT90 said:

Observations from the film:

The good:

Always checks down to at least a secondary receiver before tucking and running with the ball.

Will move in the pocket and then actually throw the ball to a secondary receiver.

Moves well in the pocket.

Throws a very catchable ball

Appears to be good at improvising (we are only seeing the good plays, though). Appears to be a smart QB. 

The bad:

Wind up, 3/4 arm delivery that lacks a lot of zip. Probably the reason he is still on the market.

Passes over 20 yards seem to float. They always hit their target in the video, but he will be playing at a much higher level and DBs will close much quicker. That float could be the difference between a reception and an interception. Just no zip on the long balls.

Not a true dual threat. Not fast enough. But can scramble to get out of trouble.

Question:

What level is the JUCO?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Eagleisland said:

The last QB that I remember doing much at North Texas was Vidal Carlin in the mid-60's..

Mitch Maher had a great career here--it was as a I-aa QB, but he was the best QB we have had here since I began following our program. Scott Hall had the guts, but the offense he played under was meant for a busdriver--similar to Derek Thompson. Andrew Smith showed some flash and he was our qb when we own the NO Bowl, but he died so young, we just can't say for certain he would have been like those three.

The worst Qbs I have ever seen us roll out as starters are 1a): Andrew McNulty and 1b.) Josh Greer, with honorable mention to Richard Bridges...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Scott Hall had the guts, but the offense he played under was meant for a busdriver--similar to Derek Thompson.

Bull. Shit. 

First: Hall was a guy who threw the ball deep behind db's who had to come up and cover the run.  High risk/high reward.   He was Top 3 in YPA in 2003, and Top 15 in 2004.  DT's best year in YPA isn't within 2 yards of Hall's best year.    

Second: Hall's TD/INT ratio his last two years was 3-1, DT's ratio was 1-1.  

Hall wasn't a bus driver, he was a very good gambler.  He also was on a different level than DT.

• Upvote 4