The McCarney - Littrell Similarity

36 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

At the Plano Caravan, these words, first spoken by Dan McCarney, came out of Seth Littrell's mouth:

"Yeah, why not North Texas?"

So...

...there's that.  They are of the same mind in, at least, one regard.  Which, is nice?

I say that everyday! Shoot I am a little Mc!

3 hours ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Only thing I dislike more than hearing "Why not North Texas?" is "Only at North Texas"

Well, one is kinda the answer to the other. 

Only at North Texas.

1 hour ago, casual fan said:

He should be measured by wins and losses.

Actions speak louder than words.

Hattiesburg Hustler disagrees.

1 hour ago, risinggreen said:

It might be better if he (or anyone else) said "why not North Texas?" and then answered his own question in a positive manner. 

Or answered truthfully:

Because North Texas doesn't care about athletics.

because being a nice guy is more valuable at North Texas than succeeding at your job. 

because this is like a drunk redneck deciding he can win the Boston Marathon and yelling at his friend "why not Billy Ray!" Except the drunk redneck has a better plan than North Texas.

UNT wonders why North Texas athletics is nothing but a laughing stock to a vast majority of its own alumni, and then go do the very things that make them a laughing stock. Just headshakingly stupid. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 10

Why would anyone utter such a "golden-opportunity-to-get-put-down-and/or-slammed-phrase"? It's another one of those slogans and/or phrases that immediately causes an automatic response in most people minds that is along the lines of "who are you trying to convince, me or you"? 

It would be the same as someone who wanted to go to Vegas, but couldn't afford it, saying "why not Thackerville?"

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 4

Well, I could give a laundry list of "why not North Texas." It sounds slightly belittling and for him not to know that was the same BS uttered by old man mccarney is him not doing his research. Also, our social media presence has fizzled away like a fire on a rainy night. Things, and I hate to say this, have lost the little bit of monentum that was built up upon the hiring of a new coach. Tom Herman comes to mind. He took the monentum upon his hire and did everything right going into his first season at UH. He took over social media, connected with former players, got local celebrities to buy into what he was doing, uniforms, billboards, catch phrases/slogans, etc. etc. etc. etc. 

This new staff has already kind of grown stagnant, unfortunately. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

On 5/15/2016 at 0:54 PM, Ben Gooding said:

Well, I could give a laundry list of "why not North Texas." It sounds slightly belittling and for him not to know that was the same BS uttered by old man mccarney is him not doing his research. Also, our social media presence has fizzled away like a fire on a rainy night. Things, and I hate to say this, have lost the little bit of monentum that was built up upon the hiring of a new coach. Tom Herman comes to mind. He took the monentum upon his hire and did everything right going into his first season at UH. He took over social media, connected with former players, got local celebrities to buy into what he was doing, uniforms, billboards, catch phrases/slogans, etc. etc. etc. etc. 

This new staff has already kind of grown stagnant, unfortunately

Having now met and heard Coach Littrell, you have to say, he's a good guy.  But, is he the right guy?  We'll soon know.  He is 180 degrees different than McCarney in that he's not the type to fire up a crowd with a speech, that's for sure. 

There are been any number of coaches who were not outwardly rah-rah/overly emotional who coached well.  Tom Osborne.  Tom Landry.  Chuck Noll.  If this rosterful of kids is one that responds more to a lowkey coach that a loud coach, we're in good stead, that's for sure.

The important things are going to be the same as always:
-are the assistants worth a damn in getting the new systems programmed into the current roster, and
-are the players going to give a damn enough to buy into the new systems and go at it full throttle.

Those are the things remaining to be seen.  If not, we're cooked.  If so, we have better recruiting, at the least. to give ourselves a chance at becoming consistent winners.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Having now met and heard Coach Littrell, you have to say, he's a good guy.  But, is he the right guy?  We'll soon know.  He is 180 degrees different than McCarney in that he's not the type to fire up a crowd with a speech, that's for sure. 

There are been any number of coaches who were not outwardly rah-rah/overly emotional who coached well.  Tom Osborne.  Tom Landry.  Chuck Noll.  If this rosterful of kids is one that responds more to a lowkey coach that a loud coach, we're in good stead, that's for sure.

The important things are going to be the same as always:
-are the assistants worth a damn in getting the new systems programmed into the current roster, and
-are the players going to give a damn enough to buy into the new systems and go at it full throttle.

Those are the things remaining to be seen.  If not, we're cooked.  If so, we have better recruiting, at the least. to give ourselves a chance at becoming consistent winners.

Give him a couple of years to experience everything North Texas. It will change him.....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I was excited and am still excited for this staff, but it seems their social media game has fallen off considerably, which in the slow offseason is not a good thing. Willie Fritz was a name that many wanted as the coach here. He posted this a few days ago:

Really hope Littrell and staff can step it up in the next couple of months

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This social media thing is NOT the coaches, its the administration.  I promise you these coaches have assistants who manage the social media and it's their job to stay on top of it.  We saw it strong when the coaches were hired but it has died down some lately.  I believe they need a full time social media guru who manages multiple key coaching accounts.  In this tough economy, there have to be tons of qualified UNT students or alums who could own this. 

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

This social media thing is NOT the coaches, its the administration.  I promise you these coaches have assistants who manage the social media and it's their job to stay on top of it.  We saw it strong when the coaches were hired but it has died down some lately.  I believe they need a full time social media guru who manages multiple key coaching accounts.  In this tough economy, there have to be tons of qualified UNT students or alums who could own this. 

So you're saying everything is RV's fault? #hijacked

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

In this tough economy, there have to be tons of qualified UNT students or alums who could own this. 

The Communications Studies Department not only has an awesome social media presence, they have faculty and students who live and breath effective social media outreach strategies.  Call the department chair up and ask them to recommend a student who would like to work part time.  Tell them if things work out well there could be a full time position in the future.

They really know what they are doing over there.  There are several other departments on campus doing a great job, but for some of them this is literally what they specialize in.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

The Communications Studies Department not only has an awesome social media presence, they have faculty and students who live and breath effective social media outreach strategies.  Call the department chair up and ask them to recommend a student who would like to work part time.  Tell them if things work out well there could be a full time position in the future.

They really know what they are doing over there.  There are several other departments on campus doing a great job, but for some of them this is literally what they specialize in.  

And since when has the AD taken advantage of the expertise available in the rest of the university?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

Give him a couple of years to experience everything North Texas. It will change him.....

So much this. Especially with the Hattiesburg Hustler maintaining an iron first grip on all things athletics.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

17 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I thought that was the job of the dude we hired away from UTSA?

Surely it's not Scotty Conley's job, right?

You mean as the director of high school relations? It could be his job to get an intern to run it?