UNT commit making biggest impact in 2016?

Harry

UNT commit making biggest impact in 2016?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. UNT commit making biggest impact in 2016?

• RB - Nic Smith (Arlington Martin)
    • LB - William Johnson (Arizona Western CC)
    • WR - Rico Bussey (Lawton, Oklahoma)
    • WR - Tyler Wilson (Arlington Martin)

I think Johnson is the best commit this year(and maybe the best one in the last 10-15 years). I think it takes at least 1/2 to one full season for most fall JUCOs to acclimate to FBS. For this reason I think Nic Smith will have the biggest impact as I think he will work his way to 2nd on the depth chart behind Wilson. There have been exceptions to the fall JUCO ramp-up time. Michael Pruitt is a good example as we didn't sign him until summer of 2003. He came in and got playing time behind Booger and had 10 TFL and 5 sacks as a DT in his first season so it can be done. I'm still gonna stick with Smith as the impact player.

We have a lot of Jucos.  Probably needed to list more of them because I think a lot of them will play.  Everything is starting over and players will be fighting for spots.  

We have a lot of players returning, but these jucos were picked by the new coaches.  Sets up for some good battles and evaluation. Hopefully it creates a situation where we have quality D1 talent on the field and depth in most areas.

Personally, I think any one of the JuCo's we just signed could make a huge impact. Evidently Ekeler went up to Arizona Western CC and said "any of those guys could play for me," and picked 3 of them. That was, I assume, while he was still with Georgia too so that's a good sign. We really need the help in the spots we are filling with JuCos this year too.

The question is worded to include only 'commits'.  That would be those who went through the recruitment process.  We have two transfers during the recruitment period but they have already enrolled.  Alec Morris is the only one that will play this coming fall and he will be the #1 (new) impact player.

For those whom we competed for commitments, I believe that William Johnson not only is the most talented but is also at a position of great need.  He could easily be the defensive equivalent of our new quarterback.  He is probably the only player new to the squad who is destined to start (and that may include Quay Bain should he commit).  

I do believe that Nic Smith and Rico Bussey very likely will play this year but not as starters (barring injury to a starter).  Both could be important contributors but Smith, especially, will have a tough time dislodging the starter.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

The question is worded to include only 'commits'.  That would be those who went through the recruitment process.  We have two transfers during the recruitment period but they have already enrolled.  Alec Morris is the only one that will play this coming fall and he will be the #1 (new) impact player.

For those whom we competed for commitments, I believe that William Johnson not only is the most talented but is also at a position of great need.  He could easily be the defensive equivalent of our new quarterback.  He is probably the only player new to the squad who is destined to start (and that may include Quay Bain should he commit).  

I do believe that Nic Smith and Rico Bussey very likely will play this year but not as starters (barring injury to a starter).  Both could be important contributors but Smith, especially, will have a tough time dislodging the starter.

If he works himself past the 4th string I'll be very impressed. At the risk of starting another debate about what "depth" means, we are IMHO deep at RB.

I don't know what FFR means when he declared Smith "bad ass" (I've always reserved that term for RB's like Earl Campbell, and that guy at Seattle), but to me any running back weighing in at 175 better have "bass ass" speed like Lance Dunbar and the ability to avoid direct hits like Jamario Thomas and.....well.... Lance Dunbar, AND the late, great, Bernard Jackson.  At 5-11 X 175, BJ set a single season rushing record in 1978 (1453) that didn't get broken until Patrick Cobbs rushed for 1600 in 2003.

So a Bernard Jackson with more speed would indeed be "bad ass".

5 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

If he works himself past the 4th string I'll be very impressed. At the risk of starting another debate about what "depth" means, we are IMHO deep at RB.

I don't know what FFR means when he declared Smith "bad ass" (I've always reserved that term for RB's like Earl Campbell, and that guy at Seattle), but to me any running back weighing in at 175 better have "bass ass" speed like Lance Dunbar and the ability to avoid direct hits like Jamario Thomas and.....well.... Lance Dunbar, AND the late, great, Bernard Jackson.  At 5-11 X 175, BJ set a single season rushing record in 1978 (1453) that didn't get broken until Patrick Cobbs rushed for 1600 in 2003.

So a Bernard Jackson with more speed would indeed be "bad ass".

This kid Smith is really really good.  You never know how prospects will pan out but this was a big pickup for the staff and the program.  I am really interested as to which coach reeled this player in as well as the juco linebacker who was another big catch.

1 minute ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Unless Smith is so good he wins the #1 spot, it would probably be better that he redshirts.

I would rather him play if that means 2 more wins.  He is a ridiculous play maker who changed plenty of games with his speed and vision.  I wouldn't mind the redshirt but I don't think he is a guy who needs to be off the field.  However, if he and the coaches come to an agreement and he WANTS to red shirt I am totally down for that as well.  Just my humble opinion. I've only been wrong a million times in my life. 

4 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I would rather him play if that means 2 more wins.  He is a ridiculous play maker who changed plenty of games with his speed and vision.  I wouldn't mind the redshirt but I don't think he is a guy who needs to be off the field.  However, if he and the coaches come to an agreement and he WANTS to red shirt I am totally down for that as well.  Just my humble opinion. I've only been wrong a million times in my life. 

Well, of course.  But there is no way a #2 or (more likely) #3 RB brings a team 2 more wins by himself.

9 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

how is Smith at catching the ball.  This O will need plenty of hands.  If he is great in space, I say give it to him on flares, wheel routes.  Maybe use him in the slot as well.

Stick-Em

34 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Well, of course.  But there is no way a #2 or (more likely) #3 RB brings a team 2 more wins by himself.

The difference with Smith is his ability to find the end zone. He is the all-time leading scorer in the entire Arlington ISD(not just Martin High School). This includes Martin, Lamar, Arlington, Sam Houston, Seguin, and Bowie. The kid finds the end zone. 

• Upvote 1