MGB: DeVante Kincade calls UNT his top choice

Brett Vito

1 minute ago, UNTexas said:

This would be a good pick up but if he redshirted and only played 2 seasons, then why would he only have 1 year left to play after sitting out a year? What happened to 4 years of playing time?

You lose a year of eligibility by sitting out when you transfer. Sort of a way to discourage transferring. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, UNTexas said:

I didn't know you lost an entire year after sitting it out. Awful. 

Yep. It's to discourage players changing teams like free agents. If a player still has his redshirt available then he can use it while he sits out after he transfers.

Edited by BillySee58

47 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

How do you figure? He said we're his top choice, but still discussing with his family and still communicating with the coaching staff. You might be right, but I didn't get that feeling after reading the article.

He doesn't have other options with SMU or Houston. It sounds a little like politicking! But I hope we get him. Great energy with English for recruiting!

6 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

He doesn't have other options with SMU or Houston. It sounds a little like politicking! But I hope we get him. Great energy with English for recruiting!

UNT - Alec Morris transfer in and more than likely will start for his final year of football + DeMarcus Smith will be a senior which leaves an easier chance for Kincade to start.

Houston - Kyle Allen transfers from A&M + Now you go into your final year battling him out for the starting job

SMU - Matt Davis is the starter right now + With the addition of Ben Hicks who has 3 years of eligibility remaining.

7 minutes ago, NTAlum09 said:

UNT - Alec Morris transfer in and more than likely will start for his final year of football + DeMarcus Smith will be a senior which leaves an easier chance for Kincade to start.

Houston - Kyle Allen transfers from A&M + Now you go into your final year battling him out for the starting job

SMU - Matt Davis is the starter right now + With the addition of Ben Hicks who has 3 years of eligibility remaining.

I actually expect this to be a dogfight until the end of Fall.  With good QB coaching, I think Smith can shine.

Now, I'm not very confident in ANYONE behind him, so yes, once Morris finishes up his eligibility and Smith graduates, Kincade should have no problems stepping right in.  I'm not expecting Starkel or anyone of his caliber to enroll here this year... just not enough time for Littrell & Co. to get a top-notch Freshman QB in here to challenge a guy like Kincade.
I do expect them to find a nice QB prospect for NEXT year's class, so a redshirt year behind Kincade in 2017, then stepping up in 2018 will be perfect for whoever that is.

15 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I actually expect this to be a dogfight until the end of Fall.  With good QB coaching, I think Smith can shine.

Now, I'm not very confident in ANYONE behind him, so yes, once Morris finishes up his eligibility and Smith graduates, Kincade should have no problems stepping right in.  I'm not expecting Starkel or anyone of his caliber to enroll here this year... just not enough time for Littrell & Co. to get a top-notch Freshman QB in here to challenge a guy like Kincade.
I do expect them to find a nice QB prospect for NEXT year's class, so a redshirt year behind Kincade in 2017, then stepping up in 2018 will be perfect for whoever that is.

I agree except for the part I put in bold.  I think Littrell and staff will surprise us with this recruiting class.  I am also intrigued by Shanbour and would be interested to see how the new staff assesses his chances.  Hell, as tough as it has been for Greer, some decent coaching might help him out.  His JUCO/HS highlights looked good.  He looked like a totally different, not in a good way, player once he arrived in Denton.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I agree except for the part I put in bold.  I think Littrell and staff will surprise us with this recruiting class.  I am also intrigued by Shanbour and would be interested to see how the new staff assesses his chances.  Hell, as tough as it has been for Greer, some decent coaching might help him out.  His JUCO/HS highlights looked good.  He looked like a totally different, not in a good way, player once he arrived in Denton.

I was at the season opener against texas when greer started. Had endzone seats on the side we started on. From the very 1st snap he looked overwelmed with the size and speed difference from the juco level. Maybe after being here a while and good coaching he can improve but it seemed to be more mental from what I saw and I'm not sure coaching fixes that.

23 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

You could be right.  Many on here said that the former coaching staff did a poor job of "coaching up" the players. Or whatever the term they used.  Thus the need for 10 QBs on our roster, none of whom worked out for us.

Yes, I agree.  My Greer comment is probably a stretch, but I have always kind of felt sorry for the young man as it was quite obvious he was not properly prepared for that game and it has effected his performance ever since.

23 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

This is awesome. I don't care if he has 6 games of eligibility left. He rates a scholarship at UNT and would do absolute wonders for us. If we land him this will be far more exciting than the English decision. 

?? Explain. 

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

He doesn't actually have 6 games left. 

Double explain You have lost me.  English has 3 years at worst 4 years at best. Kincade is 1 year minimun, while at a very important (most important for us) position of need.  Landing a guy like English who can make a heavy impact for multiple years.  Neither is guaranteed to work out but  their offer list is so impressive that I can't count them out.  I am personally more excited about Honeybear than Kincade. 

• Upvote 3

I"d like them both.  However, if we just get the kid from Allen/Bama, then sign a couple of real FBS prospects this year, I'd be happy.  Kinkade would be gravy in that scenario. 

I trust Littrell & Co. can find a prep QB or two who can throw the ball three yards behind or in front of the line of scrimmage, as is the Air Raid way.

What we need is WRs who can block for this type of offense.  Big and physical on the outside...which I think we already have, so clear out the junk for the little guys making the majority of the catches to run around after the catch - the Wes Welkers and Danny Amendolas. 

19 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Yes, I agree.  My Greer comment is probably a stretch, but I have always kind of felt sorry for the young man as it was quite obvious he was not properly prepared for that game and it has effected his performance ever since.

To me, Greer would have been a solid fit at a FCS school. Its obvious that the FBS level is too high for his ability. Its like the guy who kills it at AAA, but comes to the majors and can't hit or pitch. He gets the label of being a "AAAA" player, too good for the minors, but too bad for the majors.