TCU QB Trevone Boykin arrested after bar fight, accused of striking officer

UNT 90 Grad

Maybe this helps us with recruiting?  I'm sure there are a few moms out there that don't want their boys winding up in a situation like this.   #thankstcu

TCU quarterback Trevone Boykin was reportedly arrested and faces charges of assaulting a police officer, resisting arrest and public intoxication. 

http://es.pn/1IFRIqK

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I am most certainly NOT teaching my children that getting drunk and fighting with police "could happen to anyone".  

This is the attitude that leads to the issues we are facing nationwide right now.

I hate to sound like an old man, but when I was a "kid" you knocked off the fighting when the authorities arrived, if not sooner.

The best way to not be arrested for this crap is not to be there when the police show up...

1 minute ago, southsideguy said:

i am sure patterson will review the situation after the game is over.

Well, they are still gathering facts. I wonder if one of those facts is who has the bail money...

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I am most certainly NOT teaching my children that getting drunk and fighting with police "could happen to anyone".  

This is the attitude that leads to the issues we are facing nationwide right now.

I think by anyone, I think he meant any athletic program can have a 21 year old get drunk and do something really really dumb. 

But rarely does that stupidity include hitting a police officer. 

But to your pint in general, ya...

• Upvote 6

This happened at 2am in San Antonio, the location of TCU's upcoming bowl game.  The question I have is if he was down there with the team or did he go down ahead of the team.  If he was down there with the team, did he violate a curfew or does TCU not believe in those sort of controls over their players?

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I totally agree with you.

47 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

This can happen to anyone, anywhere, anytime. TCU had a huge drug scandal back in 2010 or 2011 and that certainly didn't hinder recruiting so I don't see why this will. 

No it doesn't. In fact, it happens to very few people, in very few places, and usually after most people have called it a night.

This wasn't an accident and the young man isn't blameless.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

This happened at 2am in San Antonio, the location of TCU's upcoming bowl game.  The question I have is if he was down there with the team or did he go down ahead of the team.  If he was down there with the team, did he violate a curfew or does TCU not believe in those sort of controls over their players?

Teams arrived in San Antonio on 12/26. I would assume he broke curfew on this one.

Some interesting tidbits here:

• About 3 million violent crimes occur each year in which victims perceive the offender to have been drinking and statistics related to alcohol use by violent offenders generally show that about half of all homicides and assaults are committed when the offender, victim, or both have been drinking.
  • More than one million people are arrested annually for driving while intoxicated, which is the third most commonly reported crime in the United States. 
  • 1.9 million of 2.4 million juvenile arrests had substance abuse and addiction involvement, while only 68,600 juveniles received substance abuse treatment.
  • Each year, more than 600,000 students between the ages of 18 and 24 are assaulted by another student who has been drinking.

Striking a police officer is about the dumbest thing you could choose to do.  So is drinking and driving.  But to say these things are rare or limited to just a few bad apples appears to be statistically inaccurate.  Yes, the person responsible has to deal with the consequences and maybe "it can happen to anyone" isn't entirely accurate, but it isn't far off.  After all, over-imbibing tends to lead us to do things we typically would not.

https://ncadd.org/about-addiction/alcohol-drugs-and-crime

http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=2313

Edited by Tyler Maryak
Edited to include sources
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Let me give you some statistics that are actually relevant to this particular conversation.  

I have arrested, in 13 years of law enforcement, about 500 people for some type of alcohol related offense (from public intoxication, to DWI, to intox  manslaughter).  Of those may 5 have attempted to assault me while I was effecting the arrest.  Five.  So that's roughly 1%.  If you want to argue that Trevone Boykin should get to play the "it could happen to anyone" card based on his being in the top 1% of dumb-asses then so be it.  

Thank you for standing between us and those that may harm us.

I tried to word my statement carefully to avoid causing offense.  Again, he should (and will) have to deal with the consequences of his actions.  My intent is not to suggest he should get to play.  My intent is to take a tiny step to alter a pervasive belief that people who make a mistake like this are bad people and wholly different from ourselves.  

You stated that you would not teach your children that getting drunk and fighting can happen to anyone.  But if it happened (let us pray it never does, and i'm sure with your good parenting it never will), would you disown them?  Would they not be worth society's time because they did?  That was my point.  Making a mistake like this, no matter how stupid, doesn't make someone worthless.  I know that no one is making that statement about this particular case, but it appears that the general belief has shaped some things that have been said.

Edited by Tyler Maryak
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Yes he was in the hotel at midnight for his room heck and curfew then went back out. 

59 minutes ago, wardly said:

North Texas has had its own problems with athletics and the law, so I wouldn't dog pile TCU.

Yeah, but who really notices? And after all, like I said about Corkey Nelson when comments were made about his penchant for drinking......."if you had to work under our administration, you'd drink to excess too".  The same would pretty much apply to our football players.

• Upvote 2

Didn't their last QB get arrested for drunk driving a couple years ago? Now a drunken bar fight with the next one? I may be going out on a limb by saying this, but I think there needs to be a mandatory alcohol awareness class that all the players should attend before the start of the season. It might help with the future decision making (before the pick up of the bottle/glass).

Good job on TCU for suspending the guy. If he ended up playing this Saturday. I and I hope many other people would lose any sort of respect for that program.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

This can happen to anyone, anywhere, anytime. TCU had a huge drug scandal back in 2010 or 2011 and that certainly didn't hinder recruiting so I don't see why this will. 

Unless someone happens to hang out with Bill Cosby, getting wasted enough to charge a group of cops is pretty much a personal choice.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

Didn't their last QB get arrested for drunk driving a couple years ago? Now a drunken bar fight with the next one? I may be going out on a limb by saying this, but I think there needs to be a mandatory alcohol awareness class that all the players should attend before the start of the season. It might help with the future decision making (before the pick up of the bottle/glass).

Good job on TCU for suspending the guy. If he ended up playing this Saturday. I and I hope many other people would lose any sort of respect for that program.

This is something that should be done in all high schools and colleges.  And not just the low budget, check-the-box stuff that some places do.  Something that isn't just cause and effect, but actually has an impact.

• Upvote 3