You Have Just Been Hired As Coach of UNT

UNTLifer

Go back to the Dickey and Gary Patterson philosophy.  Recruit the heck out of quarterbacks.  Not all of them should be QBs, mind you....but find those guys that can just play football and move them around the field (TE, LB, DBs etc).  I'd like to see us bring in at least 4 or 5 of that kind of player every year.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 6

5 O-linemen

6 D-linemen

3 QB

1 RB

3 WR

3 LB

2 CB

2 Safeties

I think this looks about right and balanced, but I too am on the QB/Athlete train that TCU and others have built a lot of success off of.

So I'd modify and say:

5 O-linemen

5 D-linemen

5 QBs/Athletes

1 RB

2 WRs

1 TE

2 LBs

2 CBs

2 Safeties

This knowing full well that among those Athletes will be players that will see multiple positions across their tenure.

• Upvote 1

5 O-linemen

6 D-linemen

3 QB

1 RB

3 WR

3 LB

2 CB

2 Safeties

I think with the history of the position, and what we have currently, we could use more than 2 LBs in this class.  Our LB play was not very good last year.  

Garner & McNair both look to be nice young pieces, but aside from them we have Finney, Ellis (who somehow got in the doghouse), Minor & Scott.   Is Bean getting a hardship waiver & coming back next year?

10 linemen, I can determine if they'd be better on offense or defense when they get here

2 quarterbacks

4 linebackers

2 running backs

2 tall receivers

5 athletes(skill set and S&C work will determine what position they play)

But before all that, I need to go to Park Place to pick up my new ride.

Edited by Cr1028

Go back to the Dickey and Gary Patterson philosophy.  Recruit the heck out of quarterbacks.  Not all of them should be QBs, mind you....but find those guys that can just play football and move them around the field (TE, LB, DBs etc).  I'd like to see us bring in at least 4 or 5 of that kind of player every year.

I think Littrell has to have two QBs on the roster by spring ball that can run his offense.  For all we know he may think he at least one of them here now, he may look at Quinn Shanbour and think "that is exactly what I need."  If they aren't here he has to go find them ASAP.

Outside of that just recruit athletes.  You can't teach tall, you can't teach fast.  A good S&C can do wonders with everything else.  

Edited by Cerebus

If I am the new coach I want to approach recruiting with a sense of urgency.  Obviously, you need to hire the best assistants you can, but also look at whether or not they can pull their weight in recruiting.  Also, you need to quickly develop your SWOT analysis on recruiting.  It's not just the best players, everyone says that.  It's the best players that a).  want to stay close to home.  b).  fit the system c).  want to be here.

UNT has strengths besides just Littrell and our location.  We have a lot of good academic programs that aren't available at places like SMU and TCU and other C-USA programs.  Kids want to play right away so that is another advantage we can offer.  Kids want nice facilities and we can offer that now.  Mac did a good job with our academics and we should sell that to parents who want to know their kid will graduate and be able to get a job.

I agree with someone else recently here who stated, they wanted us to go after players with other offers.  I agree with this.  If you identify there is no chance then move on but plant you seed and see what happens especially if it is a kid that would have to leave the state or area.

Every kid out there wants to go to UT, A&M etc... at this point in the game (late Dec Jan) they are realizing that will probably not happen.  I would go after these types of kids hard.

I also think you should go after some grade risks who are difference makers.  Not a lot but a few.  Let them sign with us and if they have to double sign with a juco so be it.  There are some good kids out there who just don't test well or did not apply themselves in high school.  It will be easier for us to bring these types of guys in versus an SMU or TCU.

Support and develop the Eagle Angels group.  These ladies can make a very positive impression on the recruits on their official visits and make them feel at home.

Let me state again, we have to OWN our own backyard.  We just have not done a good job of this.  If it takes hiring a full time position to manage the big high schools in DFW so be it.  My goal would be simple... we WILL NOT lose on a quality prospect in DFW against La. Tech, UTEP, UTSA.  We will lose some to Rice for academics but will also win some because of their academics.  Southern Miss rarely comes in here, same for UAB etc.. We should own C-USA in Texas period, there frankly is no excuse not to and the fact we have let these others do so well in our own backyard is a travesty.

Dear God I hope he hires a competent one. Recruiting sure as hell didn't help our case, but our guys look so small, weak, and slow compared to when Wintrich was here

My sense on this, and this applies to Wintrich is they have been focused on the overall athleticism versus size.  I think that we need to move things back to the traditional way.  Our team has looked extremely small in the last 2-3 years.  We need linemen to carry weight... I don't give a shat if they can pull themselves up on a bar.    I want them to be 300 pounds and be nasty.  Look at each player and come up with a weight goal.  If you are a d tackle and weigh 260 we need you to be at 285 by such and such date.

If I am the new coach I want to approach recruiting with a sense of urgency.  Obviously, you need to hire the best assistants you can, but also look at whether or not they can pull their weight in recruiting.  Also, you need to quickly develop your SWOT analysis on recruiting.  It's not just the best players, everyone says that.  It's the best players that a).  want to stay close to home.  b).  fit the system c).  want to be here.

UNT has strengths besides just Littrell and our location.  We have a lot of good academic programs that aren't available at places like SMU and TCU and other C-USA programs.  Kids want to play right away so that is another advantage we can offer.  Kids want nice facilities and we can offer that now.  Mac did a good job with our academics and we should sell that to parents who want to know their kid will graduate and be able to get a job.

I agree with someone else recently here who stated, they wanted us to go after players with other offers.  I agree with this.  If you identify there is no chance then move on but plant you seed and see what happens especially if it is a kid that would have to leave the state or area.

Every kid out there wants to go to UT, A&M etc... at this point in the game (late Dec Jan) they are realizing that will probably not happen.  I would go after these types of kids hard.

I also think you should go after some grade risks who are difference makers.  Not a lot but a few.  Let them sign with us and if they have to double sign with a juco so be it.  There are some good kids out there who just don't test well or did not apply themselves in high school.  It will be easier for us to bring these types of guys in versus an SMU or TCU.

Support and develop the Eagle Angels group.  These ladies can make a very positive impression on the recruits on their official visits and make them feel at home.

Let me state again, we have to OWN our own backyard.  We just have not done a good job of this.  If it takes hiring a full time position to manage the big high schools in DFW so be it.  My goal would be simple... we WILL NOT lose on a quality prospect in DFW against La. Tech, UTEP, UTSA.  We will lose some to Rice for academics but will also win some because of their academics.  Southern Miss rarely comes in here, same for UAB etc.. We should own C-USA in Texas period, there frankly is no excuse not to and the fact we have let these others do so well in our own backyard is a travesty.

My sense on this, and this applies to Wintrich is they have been focused on the overall athleticism versus size.  I think that we need to move things back to the traditional way.  Our team has looked extremely small in the last 2-3 years.  We need linemen to carry weight... I don't give a shat if they can pull themselves up on a bar.    I want them to be 300 pounds and be nasty.  Look at each player and come up with a weight goal.  If you are a d tackle and weigh 260 we need you to be at 285 by such and such date.

Harry is my nomination for the recruiting adviser role he talked about in another thread.

• Upvote 1

This^. Wintrich did not do a good job. I don't give a damn about the holistic BS he was trying to implement with his new age (trying to make a name for himself) weight program. Our look like they have regressed each off-season. We need guys to be able to bench bress 250lb defensive ends out of the way, not twirl around them like an acrobatic fairy. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Here's my breakdown.  I do think we need a JUCO TE and DT that are able to come in a contribute immediately.

2 - HS QB's

1 - HS RB's

3 - HS WR's

1- HS TE

1- JUCO TE

4 - OL's

2 - HS DT's

1 - JUCO DT

3 -  HS DE's

3 -  HS LB's

4 - HS CB's (can convert to safety)