Gotta give Chico credit here

Harry

Yes it was still a loss, but that was a respectable showing against a superior opponent.  He deserves credit for that.

I love his energy. The team looks like a different team. I am on the Chico bandwagon.

Chico for head coach. Hire a young hungry guy to be the offensive coordinator. Spread money around to pay assistant coaches.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 11

I love his energy. The team looks like a different team. I am on the Chico bandwagon.

Chico for head coach. Hire a young hungry guy to be the offensive coordinator. Spread money around to pay assistant coaches.

This game turned out better than expected, and Chico deserves credit. But last week - La Tech was I think far uglier than expected. If we finish with 2 impressive wins in very winnable games - I may hop on Chico's bandwagon. But unless and until that happens - I still think we can do better. 

• Upvote 2

I thought the coaching staff had a good game plan and the kids gave a great effort.    Sometimes you get beat by a better team and that is what happened today.    We have nothing to be embarrassed about after this one.       I agree that Chico will make somebody a good head coach if they will give him a chance.   It won't be at North Texas but I will root for him wherever he ends up. 

• Upvote 6

Lol. A 24 point loss where his offense does nothing and his QB throws for 105 yards.

#Chicoforheadcoach 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 4

Tennessee ran a vanilla offense and a vanilla defense today, and was still able to get an early lead very easily. They took their foot off the gas and didn't embarrass us. Wilson had a nice day.

I like Canales, but he isn't the answer to our problems. I have no doubts about his ability to be a head coach. But, we need a coach that can out recruit the top G5 programs around the nation and some of the P5 too. Canales has not done that at UNT, and he has been here longer then any other coach left on this staff.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 3

Did you watch the game? 

I watched the entire game. No one laid down. We aren't as talented as the Vols. The announcers on the SEC network were far more complimentary to the Mean Green than the SEC team playing at home. I don't think we saw the best that Tennessee has to offer, but they didn't mail it in either.

Chico has the team caring again. This is the same team that "laid down" against a FCS opponent on homecoming. Laid down is a nice way of putting it. They were mutineers. Chico has done an admirable job keeping this team together. I know wins and losses ultimately matter, but this was a good effort. If there weren't a couple of key drops I think we would have gotten in the endzone or at least on the score board.

We can all dream of a big name here as the HC at UNT, but with the current AD I am not sure we will get one.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Reality check...Tennessee football budget vs. ours.  Good showing against one of the semi-pro teams in America.  Chico did all he could with what he had...dropped passes were not his fault.  Team played hard.

• Upvote 6

Tennessee ran a vanilla offense and a vanilla defense today, and was still able to get an early lead very easily. They took their foot off the gas and didn't embarrass us. Wilson had another very nice day.

I like Canales, but he isn't the answer to our problems. I have no doubts about his ability to be a head coach. But, we need a coach that can beat out the top G5 programs around the nation and some of the P5 too. Canales has not done that at UNT, and he has been here longer then any other coach left on this staff.

I got the feeling that Tennessee got the game under control and could have turned it up a few notches if we had ever been a scoreboard threat. As for Canales, I wish him the best and think he really, truly deserves a fresh start and a HC gig somewhere. Too much history here at this point.

This is from this morning's edition of the Memphis Daily News:

UT coach Butch Jones says Canales is “a great friend of mine.”

“I’ve known Mike for a very, very long period of time,” Jones said during his Monday press conference. “I’ve admired him as a play caller, as a quarterback coach, as an offensive coordinator, and he’s done a great job in a difficult situation, and you can see their offense now starting to take on his personality.”

The article went on to imply that Jones would not embarrass Chico. 

• Upvote 6

This is from this morning's edition of the Memphis Daily News:

UT coach Butch Jones says Canales is “a great friend of mine.”

“I’ve known Mike for a very, very long period of time,” Jones said during his Monday press conference. “I’ve admired him as a play caller, as a quarterback coach, as an offensive coordinator, and he’s done a great job in a difficult situation, and you can see their offense now starting to take on his personality.”

The article went on to imply that Jones would not embarrass Chico. 

You could tell they are friends by their post game handshake. Jones still went for it on 2-3 Fourth Down and short plays with a 17 and a 24 point lead. Against an offense who had not posted a point.

• Upvote 1

Finally we scraped the tempo. That helped the defense a lot. We should run the ball and  control the clock the rest of the way.

No reason a better DC can't come in here and clean up the D. They have made strides lately, but have had too may missed assignments and flaws in the overall design  

It's was tough to run it against an SEC DL

That playing surface was atrocious. That was unacceptable and contributed to injuries. 

I thought DaMarcus Smith handled the game pretty well. He missed some passes and his WRs had some big drops. Yes he only had like 100 yards passing, but he threw a lot of short ones.

Tennessee scored and their offense shut it down then they stalled and tried to turn it back on again. Hard to do. 

Too many missed tackles.

Canales is a great motivator and has a ton of energy. He lacks in other key areas though that takes away from him having a legit shot at the job here.

Hated to see so many guys get banged up in an unnecessary game.   

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1