Why not bring Dickey back?

midlane

I've always liked the mental image of, "pound sand."  I see this guy, kneeling in front of a pallet sized box filled with masonry sand.  And the guy is so frustrated that he keeps hitting and hitting the sand expecting something to change.  Homer Simpson's dad is the perfect character for my pound sand image.

If my description was too wordy, well sir, you can pound sand.  Heh.

Oh, and "No" to the return of Dickey.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

This thread is symbolic of why we can't have nice things at UNT. And its unrealistic on many, many levels. Dickey doesn't want to come back here anymore than our dumbass AD wants him to even come back to Denton in any capacity.

Dickey had three winning seasons here--out of 9. He clearly had no interest in interaction with and building up the fanbase. Basically, Dickey was boring as hell. And not exactly a warm guy. When you win and go to bowl games, that's fine. When you win 2 or 3 games with a gameplan that features the strategy of running out the clock as fast as possible, you aren't going to make many folks jump up and down to have your back. That is what got Dickey in the end. The SBC caught up to our talent and in many ways surpassed us at the time in facilities and funding.

Be thankful for the 4 SBC Championships that did grow the program up from about 2000 diehards to where we are now, with about 8000 diehards. And celebrate his time here when you see the Darrell Dickey Practice Fields, after his 42-64 tenure here, that the university allowed to be named so that we could keep a million dollar donation from a guy who won't give a dime back to us ever again. Pretty soon, you'll be able to enjoy those fields from the Rick Villareal Athletic Department Complex, so that should provide a lot of comfort to the RV and DD fans.

Go get Chris Thomsen from ASU. Let him build us up, like he did at ACU. Or get Sonny Cumbie, an up-and-coming coach with great Texas ties from his playing days at Tech and his coaching days at Tech and TCU.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So everyone I've followed the board for the better part of 15 years (by the way great feedback and information for an Alumni that has not lived in Texas for a long time) and this is the first time I've ever felt a need to express my opinion!  No to Dickey!!!  Just No!  Never seen a guy with such a generic playbook that was so afraid to throw the ball!  Really the only reason he was successful at UNT was due to the fact the Sunbelt was composed of FBS start ups and UNT was just plain better then they were the first few years of the conferences existence.  A few years later all those FBS start ups passed us by and Dickey couldn't keep up.  I know his play calling has changed as the OC at Memphis but it would just be a matter of time before the famous 3rd Down Draw that everyone could see was coming a mile away is back in Denton!

By the way Go Pound Sand is a military term, probably why some of you are not familiar with it!

Edited by MeanGreenNC
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I know his play calling has changed as the OC at Memphis but it would just be a matter of time before the famous 3rd Down Draw that everyone could see was coming a mile away is back in Denton!

LOL. Didn't fans used to yell "draw" all the time on third and long, knowing that Dickey was going to call it again?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why not bring Dickey back? Sure. Great idea. Kinda like after divorcing your 3rd wife... rather than look into the rich pool of younger and talented candidates - how bout just remarrying your first wife? Sounds like a recipe for success to me.

I dont know which is better, the statement itself or the statement next the picture of Paulie Walnuts?

• Upvote 1

LOL. Didn't fans used to yell "draw" all the time on third and long, knowing that Dickey was going to call it again?

Still to this day, one of the all-time funniest things I have ever heard at a UNT game was when we played TCU in Ft. Worth in 2000. They had Franchione as their coach, LT was having an awesome season, and were on their way to another bowl berth. But that day, our defense played great--to the point that LT was held to just around 100 yards. We trailed 13-3 going into the 4th, as we got into FG range because we faked a punt in the second quarter. Other than that, we basically handed off the ball every single down--where we ran into TCUs front 9 every down. Finally, the UNT fans had had enough and started chanting "THROW THE BALL!! THROW THE BALL!!" over and over...which the Dickster obliged by running more draws on 3rd and 30 until the game ended, which TCU won 23-3, IIRC. I was at the game with several TCU family and friends and they basically just patted me on the back and said that was too bad the Mean Green didn't try on offense or that game might have gone the other way. A complete defensive gem by UNT completely wasted because the coach had given up before the game started. Shockingly, that season ended at 3-9, when we beat NMSU at Fouts in front of about 250 people in the Saturday after Thanksgiving. In essence, for those not around for the Dickster, this his program in a nutshell for his entire tenure. If he felt we had a better team, we opened up a little bit more on offense. If he didn't think we had a prayer, he just ran out the clock as much as possible to try and keep the scores from getting too ugly. Unfortunately, as the spread became more popular at the P5 giants we would play, he couldn't keep UT or LSU from scoring under 50. But he was able to keep Oklahoma, Arkansas, Alabama, and Texas A&M from scoring 40 on us, so I guess that made him feel better...

• Upvote 3

If I had to choose, I'd take TD over DD. But only if we could pick TD's assistants, and pay his free reign DC twice that of TD. Might actually work.

Sadly,  I think his time at North Texas broke Dodge.  I don't know if Graham just didn't offer him to stay on when he moved over to AZSt from Pitt, or if he just said, "forget coaching college, I'll just go back to Texas".  If he would have stuck with Graham, I think he would have been a fine coach in the future... probably taking a Chad Morris-like path.

• Upvote 1

Sadly,  I think his time at North Texas broke Dodge.  I don't know if Graham just didn't offer him to stay on when he moved over to AZSt from Pitt, or if he just said, "forget coaching college, I'll just go back to Texas".  If he would have stuck with Graham, I think he would have been a fine coach in the future... probably taking a Chad Morris-like path.

You mean he would become a failed HC somewhere in the metroplex....

...feels like TD was actually years ahead of Chad Morris

• Upvote 1

Not just 3rd and long, about ninety percent of the time. The only guess was if it left or right. 

Not just 3rd and long, about ninety percent of the time. The only guess was if it left or right. 

True story. My wife went with me to Tulsa in 06. I went to the game, and she went to a museum in Tulsa. She called me in the fourth quarter to see how things were going and I told her that NT had the ball on 3rd and long around mid-field. She just laughed and said "well since the only choice of play will be run it right or left, I choose right". So there you have it, my wife standing around in a museum across town from the game could have called the defensive plays for Tulsa.

• Upvote 2