Coach search notes (Smatresk’s take)

Harry

UNT president Neal Smatresk described the school’s search for a new football coach as a vital task on Tuesday, when he vowed to make the resources available to ensure the right coach takes over the program.

“Our new coach will be the most highly compensated individual at the university,” Smatresk said. “When you expend a high level of money you want a high level of production. You want athletics to develop a sense of community at the university and produce revenue.”

read more:  http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/11/coach-search-notes-smatresks-take.html/

So North Texas of us. 

This guy gets it...

I mean sure, I guess. But shouldn't the 5 or 6th highest compensated person on campus be held on account for his countless downfalls too? This whole article reads as BS. I am officially not a fan of Smastrek. He clearly has no real backbone, just lip service. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 18

What do you want him to do? fire the AD at the precise moment when you need a system in place to find the next head coach?

Yes.

If he can't make that move for financial reasons, create a new position outside of athletics for RV and park him there until his contract expires. Form a committee and pick the new coach without his input.

Letting RV make the hire locks us into 3-5 more years of his approach to the top sports. It's a factory of failure.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

Yes.

If he can't make that move for financial reasons, create a new position outside of athletics for RV and park him there until his contract expires. Form a committee and pick the new coach without his input.

Letting RV make the hire locks us into 3-5 more years of his approach to the top sports. It's a factory of failure.

Hiring a coach without an AD in place is not only more difficult, but a generally bad idea. If you get a new AD after a new coach, things can go sour too but most coaches are going to hesitate to sign up without an AD in place. Weighed against the fact that most coaches are going to be a little bit worried about working for RV given his track record for firing his hires mid season, I think Smatresk still chose the lesser of two evils. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Hiring a coach without an AD in place is not only more difficult, but a generally bad idea. If you get a new AD after a new coach, things can go sour too but most coaches are going to hesitate to sign up without an AD in place. Weighed against the fact that most coaches are going to be a little bit worried about working for RV given his track record for firing his hires mid season, I think Smatresk still chose the lesser of two evils. 

Big knock on NT is no stability. Firing the AD who has produced more facilities than ever dreamed possible is contra productive. Reducing his role in the hiring does not give the same message. Donors and alumni forced him to hire Dodge. Canales was RVs choice when Mac was hired. Rawlings forced the Mac hire on him after Neanis ( spl.) infamous consulting. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

... most coaches are going to hesitate to sign up without an AD in place.. 

Any prospective head coach is going to know that (a) RV asked for a vote of confidence from the school president and didn't get it, and (b) RV has a contract that expires in February 2017. So if an unstable AD situation is going to keep a coach away, that's already happening.

It would be better for RV to have nothing to do with the hire than to let him make the choice when he's gone in 15 months.

Big knock on NT is no stability. Firing the AD who has produced more facilities than ever dreamed possible is contra productive.

A bigger knock on UNT is sucking at football and basketball. Nobody wants to play for a school that makes them a bottom 10 laughingstock. Grading an AD on facilities instead of wins is miring us in mediocrity.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Speculation. RV made the hires. It's the baseline of his job. If he can't do that job or is not being allowed to do his job because of incompetence then fire him. Pretty simple. His 2nd primary job is to create a credible, consistent donor membership. Well...Those numbers are pretty bad. So, if he's not hiring coaches and if he's not creating a solid foundation of donors then what exactly is he doing? 

Also, interim AD is an actual thing. Make it happen. Quit feeding me lines of garbage that deflects accountability and make solid, backboned decisions. We are spinning wheels because of political correctness. Business is not democracy. Make a firm decision. Give your vote of confidence to the standing AD or remove him. Just make a <insert expletive> decision and stand by it. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Big knock on NT is no stability. Firing the AD who has produced more facilities than ever dreamed possible is contra productive. Reducing his role in the hiring does not give the same message. Donors and alumni forced him to hire Dodge. Canales was RVs choice when Mac was hired. Rawlings forced the Mac hire on him after Neanis ( spl.) infamous consulting. 

Maybe you should call his mommy. I dreamed of more. 

But I think you are dreaming. 

Donors and alumni forced him to hire Dodge. Canales was RVs choice when Mac was hired. Rawlings forced the Mac hire on him after Neanis ( spl.) infamous consulting. 

Gretchen Bataille forced him to hire Dodge. 

Dodge was ultimately chosen because he would come cheaper than Harbaugh, or Leavitt or whoever else was interested then.

Because there was no way in hell she was gonna not be the highest compensated individual at the university. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Any prospective head coach is going to know that (a) RV asked for a vote of confidence from the school president and didn't get it, and (b) RV has a contract that expires in February 2017. So if an unstable AD situation is going to keep a coach away, that's already happening.

It would be better for RV to have nothing to do with the hire than to let him make the choice when he's gone in 15 months.

so... Being that RV probably isn't going anywhere for 15 months, shouldn't we just hire Chico for 3 years? (Since 1 year is insulting)

i much rather get a new head coach with a past of success. But I'm afraid that you could have a valid point. RV is going to be toxic in this next hire. And I much rather have Chico run this team, then another Dodge/McCarney melt down.

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 1

No matter how confident you are this is the truth, either the AD is incompetent or UNT is just toxic coaching situation that goes way deeper than just the AD.  That still means clearing the decks needs to happen.  If he wanted Canales after Dodge was fired that he isn't incompetent, just castrated.   (I was a big supporter of Canales back then and wondered what the hell happened so I feel a little sympathy for him if that is the case but not enough sympathy to set the program back another 5 to 10 years hoping he gets this opportunity right.  

Speculation. RV made the hires. It's the baseline of his job. If he can't do that job or is not being allowed to do his job because of incompetence then fire him. Pretty simple. His 2nd primary job is to create a credible, consistent donor membership. Well...Those numbers are pretty bad. So, if he's not hiring coaches and if he's not creating a solid foundation of donors then what exactly is he doing? 

Also, interim AD is an actual thing. Make it happen. Quit feeding me lines of garbage that deflects accountability and make solid, backboned decisions. We are spinning wheels because of political correctness. Business is not democracy. Make a firm decision. Give your vote of confidence to the standing AD or remove him. Just make a <insert expletive> decision and stand by it. 

I with Ben Gooding.  I have yet to see a good argument with keeping RV around.  RV is the very face of the dysfunction and instability here.  Would you rather take a contracted job under boss with a horrible track record of success or a job in which the boss of your future boss told you "we are taking our time finding the right AD for our program, until that time you have complete freedom to run your program how you see fit and we will support you whatever way we can"?  No direct boss is better that boss with a track record of failure who may try to take you out with him when he goes down. 

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2

A bigger knock on UNT is sucking at football and basketball. Nobody wants to play for a school that makes them a bottom 10 laughingstock. Grading an AD on facilities instead of wins is miring us in mediocrity.

CSU fired their AD last August, hired Mike Bobo away from UGA for $1+ Mil in early December, approved a $220 Mil stadium in mid December and finally hired an AD (from Texas Tech) the following March. Things can be done without an AD in place. However their leadership is probably leaps and bounds ahead of ours. 

• Upvote 5

CSU fired their AD last August, hired Mike Bobo away from UGA for $1+ Mil in early December, approved a $220 Mil stadium in mid December and finally hired an AD (from Texas Tech) the following March. Things can be done without an AD in place. However their leadership is probably leaps and bounds ahead of ours. 

and holy CRAP is that stadium impressive http://stadium.colostate.edu/

This is so much Crap. So RV is only responsible for the good things, eh? All the bad hires were other people's fault.

That is the RV party line. Responsible for nothing bad, yet everything good.

The ONLY place it works this way is UNT. Is it any wonder we are consistent losers at all revenue sports?

Looks like RV has been working the phone lines with certain people...

Yep. We just choose the backward path at UNT.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If RV was forced to hire Dodge ... and Mac ... and Shanice ... what does that say if he's never trusted to make a hire?  What does it say about RV if he can't even tell a head coach he can't bring in his high school staff?  Does RV has a horrible record of hiring coaches or does no one respect his recommendations?  Either answer means RV needs to go.  

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 3

I dont understand this thinking... What do you want him to do? fire the AD at the precise moment when you need a system in place to find the next head coach? Rick V did himself a favor by firing mac when he did (not how he did, that will cost him his job) because now Smatresk has to wait until the AD gets settled down again before he can make a move. he clearly isn't happy with Rick and the way he has been changing university leadership since he got here, I bet Rick will be gone sooner rather than later. But, obviously, Smatresk cannot come out and say that. it would be in poor taste and people would have a problem with that too, much like we have a problem with Rick firing Mac in the locker room interrupting his message to the players after a game.

Who has a problem with RV firing Mac in the locker room? I wish he had fired him on the field in the fourth quarter of the embarrassment he precipitated for homecoming by having a team that completely quit against an FCS. Much like Tom Landry the game and the art of coaching  had long since passed him by.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I understand that sometimes you as an administrator are stuck with the initial hand you are dealt with and it takes time to change that, and I do have faith he will change it (if you don't believe that look at who is now provost and what has happened in the financial staffing president's office, and various other positions throughout campus so far).  If we are going to have to accept that Smatresk is not going to fire RV immediately (mainly because he cant have the complete power vacuum that it will cause throughout the entire AD when the AD is already in dire straits) then RV needs to essentially be AD in name only in this process. Let Smatresk and whoever in the AD he actually trusts to do the work and RV can be a figurehead puppet he should be at this point.

That being said, all pressure still must be exerted by the fanbase to show that RV is unacceptable to those outside the university. Smatresk may not publicly want to admit that RV must go, but if the fanbase keeps the pressure on it allows him much greater leeway in private to steer RV out the door sooner than many of his supporters intend.

I will back any ideas for banners or billboards knowing that more than likely it will not provide instant visible results. Just because we cannot see the repercussions of these types of efforts does not mean that it is not impacting the situation internally. Just the initial funding of the first banner forced some action publicly by RV, regardless how his reaction was viewed. If that attempt forces that much of a public response, do not underestimate how large of an impact it has had internally. 

Never forget that in his heart Smatresk is as much of a hatchman as much as anything else. Regardless of the flowery stories about his accolades or virtues, his real "job" is to completely revamp the personnel and structure of UNT to match our academic and athletic profile for the years to come and move us away from the thinking that persists that UNT is still a 10k student teaching school.  He is not afraid to change things to fix "problems" regardless of how the old system used to be or who people are tied to and will do it publicly if he is unable to accomplish it privately, which he would prefer.  I have personally seen this on the academic side at UNT as had several colleagues state the same thing regarding his time at UNLV. 

I have faith in Smatresk, just not in RV.

• Upvote 2

This is so much Crap. So RV is only responsible for the good things, eh? All the bad hires were other people's fault.

That is the RV party line. Responsible for nothing bad, yet everything good.

The ONLY place it works this way is UNT. Is it any wonder we are consistent losers at all revenue sports?

Looks like RV has been working the phone lines with certain people...

Yep. We just choose the backward path at UNT.

The backward path at UNT is going behind the scenes to be great pals with the UNT 17 and the BOR--it amazes me that a total of about 30 people can have that much control around here...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I understand that sometimes you as an administrator are stuck with the initial hand you are dealt with and it takes time to change that, and I do have faith he will change it (if you don't believe that look at who is now provost and what has happened in the financial staffing president's office, and various other positions throughout campus so far).  If we are going to have to accept that Smatresk is not going to fire RV immediately (mainly because he cant have the complete power vacuum that it will cause throughout the entire AD when the AD is already in dire straits) then RV needs to essentially be AD in name only in this process. Let Smatresk and whoever in the AD he actually trusts to do the work and RV can be a figurehead puppet he should be at this point.

That being said, all pressure still must be exerted by the fanbase to show that RV is unacceptable to those outside the university. Smatresk may not publicly want to admit that RV must go, but if the fanbase keeps the pressure on it allows him much greater leeway in private to steer RV out the door sooner than many of his supporters intend.

I will back any ideas for banners or billboards knowing that more than likely it will not provide instant visible results. Just because we cannot see the repercussions of these types of efforts does not mean that it is not impacting the situation internally. Just the initial funding of the first banner forced some action publicly by RV, regardless how his reaction was viewed. If that attempt forces that much of a public response, do not underestimate how large of an impact it has had internally. 

Never forget that in his heart Smatresk is as much of a hatchman as much as anything else. Regardless of the flowery stories about his accolades or virtues, his real "job" is to completely revamp the personnel and structure of UNT to match our academic and athletic profile for the years to come and move us away from the thinking that persists that UNT is still a 10k student teaching school.  He is not afraid to change things to fix "problems" regardless of how the old system used to be or who people are tied to and will do it publicly if he is unable to accomplish it privately, which he would prefer.  I have personally seen this on the academic side at UNT as had several colleagues state the same thing regarding his time at UNLV. 

I have faith in Smatresk, just not in RV.

Well said.  My thoughts exactly.  

Again, I think RV is gone, whether when his contract expires or before.  It is apparently assumed that RV has great upper level support, yet that is coming from one source.   I have not seen any official statements of support.  

RV is on his fifth president, so he has magnificent survival skills.  However, his record is becoming worse not better every year.   I think he can make a case for himself with better facilities and high level donations, however I think this is at least questionable.  Compare NT's accomplishments with peer institutions and really look at how Apogee was financed before being too impressed with these achievements.   The question is not how NT is compared with it's own history, but with it's basic competition.  

RV is very vulnerable if you look at overall donations, revenue sports records, attendance and a poor hiring performance.  I can't believe anyone thinks that a manager is not responsible for his results no matter who may or may not have directed to him to make bad decisions.  Couldn't control Dickey because of the board, had to hire Stephens because Gretchen demanded it, Dodge was the best he could do because of financial considerations and everything is super difficult because of NT's culture.  A competent leader persuades others to see his view point and if he fails to that, he makes the best available choices.  It is beyond me, how anyone who is in his fifteenth year talks of culture difficulties. 

• Upvote 1