Marcus Trice supporting Chico for HC job

Harry

UNT pays the fourth-highest salary in CUSA, and that might go up for the next hire. We have a good stadium and are located in DFW, the largest metropolitan area in the South and the No. 5 TV market in the U.S. These are all selling points.

There's no reason to believe, as you appear to, that nobody good would want this job.

Is Houston a bigger metro area than DFW?

Also, you usually see better play from a team once an embattled coach is fired and an Interm is named.  

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

UNT pays the fourth-highest salary in CUSA, and that might go up for the next hire. We have a good stadium and are located in DFW, the largest metropolitan area in the South and the No. 5 TV market in the U.S. These are all selling points.

There's no reason to believe, as you appear to, that nobody good would want this job.

No, there are certainly positive aspects to the job, as you pointed out.  My point is that turnkey coaches demand top dollar, and we aren't currently equipped to pay it.

Saying that we have the 4th highest HC salary in the conference is accurate, but misleading.  Coach McCarney's salary ranks 85th out of 121 surveyed schools in this USA today poll.  I would love to see that go up, but even if it increased by 50%, that puts you barely ahead of UL- Lafayette at #71.  And your turnkey guys don't start until much, much higher on the list.

Short of a Manchester City level cash infusion by Saudi oil barons, you're basically priced out of the kind of name that we could reasonably EXPECT to turn it around.  That's not to say that no one else COULD, but, realistically, the rest of the barrel are going to be gambles.  And if we are going to gamble, why not gamble on a guy who at least knows the landscape and challenges, and still wants the job?

Dallas-Fort Worth is 6.9 million. Houston is 6.4 million. No. 4 and 5 nationally, behind New York City, L.A. and Chicago.

Go Texas! 

And if you want some stats in interim coaches as the permanent hire, here ya go:

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/eye-on-college-football/24265499/historical-study-what-happens-when-you-hire-the-interim-coach

• Upvote 1

Saying that we have the 4th highest HC salary in the conference is accurate, but misleading.  Coach McCarney's salary ranks 85th out of 121 surveyed schools in this USA today poll.

I don't see what's misleading. We compete in CUSA. Our salary is fourth in CUSA. There's no reason to believe we can't hire a coach who can compete in our conference at the present salary. That's a reasonable expectation for a coach -- not a lofty one that might require $1 million or more in salary.

Coaches turn around programs in the FBS for less than what we're paying. Boise State went from being our Big West conference mate to a big program through smart coaching hires within a budget that was once paltry.

• Upvote 1

Go Texas! 

And if you want some stats in interim coaches as the permanent hire, here ya go:

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/eye-on-college-football/24265499/historical-study-what-happens-when-you-hire-the-interim-coach

I would have thought there were more examples to draw from, but in that article, the 2 times the interim was actually hired they did well.

I believe he said he wouldn't campaign for it like last time. That's a little different than not interested.

According to RV, Chico told him he wasn't interested in the job.  His family has also made comments saying he will definitely not be back next year, regardless of what happens the rest of the season.

• Upvote 1

If Chico gets the job then he will most likely keep a majority of the current staff and that is a major problem. We cannot expect to move forward if we keep anyone from the current staff save Perry and Patrick.

What if the entire staff was let go and he was hired as head coach? The current staff would have to interview along with all of the other assistant coaching candidates. I doubt Chico would jeopardize his dream shot for his buddies.

According to RV, Chico told him he wasn't interested in the job.  His family has also made comments saying he will definitely not be back next year, regardless of what happens the rest of the season.

Canales isn't acting like someone who is gone no matter what.

But maybe that's just because he's dedicated to his job and these players.

• Upvote 2

Go Texas! 

It doesn't happen often, I only saw two on your list there and they were both successful (Dabo Swinney and George O'Leary).

100% this

If he wins at MUTS & UTEP, then he would be 3-4 this year and 2-3 last time around when he almost took out Kansas St. and the MUTS.

If he had won one of those games and gone 3-2, he might have been hired 5years ago.

if he can get 2 more wins it would mean he took 2 dead in the water teams that were a combined 1-11 and finished 5-7 with exactly the same players. 

Winning 2 more games this year might be a stretch.  Beating UTEP is likely.

This program has hit rock bottom, and from an attendance point is an unsellable product. It will be nearly impossible to sell season tickets to see the guy who faltered under Dodge and absolutely tanked under McCarney lead the team.

That being said, I would not be opposed to Canales receiving a ONE YEAR CONTRACT TO PROVE WHAT HE CAN DO if, and only if, he is able to produce a couple more wins this season. I, in no way shape or form, would even consider entertaining the thought of an extension past one year before the morning of September 4.

Until then there should be no guaranteed contract for Canales: 2016 only. Because of the circumstances that he helped create he would have to survive trial by fire to get any contract beyond the 2016 season.

• Upvote 2

It doesn't happen often, I only saw two on your list there and they were both successful (Dabo Swinney and George O'Leary).

Right, it doesn't happen a lot. Also, quite a few made an improvement from the coach that was fired.

Moral of the story? Don't get geeked up because Chico wins a game or 2. That's what usually happens in a situation like this. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If Chico gets the job then he will most likely keep a majority of the current staff and that is a major problem. We cannot expect to move forward if we keep anyone from the current staff save Perry and Patrick.

No, he won't. These aren't his guys. These are Mac's guys. Canales has been coaching for almost 30 years, he has a long list of quality guys I'm sure.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

This program has hit rock bottom, and from an attendance point is an unsellable product. It will be nearly impossible to sell season tickets to see the guy who faltered under Dodge and absolutely tanked under McCarney lead the team.

That being said, I would not be opposed to Canales receiving a ONE YEAR CONTRACT TO PROVE WHAT HE CAN DO if, and only if, he is able to produce a couple more wins this season. I, in no way shape or form, would even consider entertaining the thought of an extension past one year before the morning of September 4.

Until then there should be no guaranteed contract for Canales: 2016 only. Because of the circumstances that he helped create he would have to survive trial by fire to get any contract beyond the 2016 season.

we seem to have this debate every year so let me try to address this.  You cannot go to a recruit and tell them you have a 1-year contract and win said recruit against any other coach recruiting against you.  The standard contract term for an FBS football head coach is 5 years.  Please stop offering up short term contracts as viable options for our struggling program right now.

Secondly, I appreciate everything Chico is doing.  He is clearly out performing his predecessor.  However, Chico has to take responsibility for the lack of success under his predecessor as well.  QB evaluation and recruiting was unacceptable and that is why he and the rest of the staff have got to be replaced.

You cannot go to a recruit and tell them you have a 1-year contract and win said recruit against any other coach recruiting against you.  The standard contract term for an FBS football head coach is 5 years.

Right...because signing 5 year contracts and extending them has worked out really well so far for us.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9

If they gave Chico a 3 yr deal that is on the low end of the conference but heavy in incentives it would not be the end of the world for me.  Every time I see his teams on the field I see kids that are fired up and ready to go.  No, this is not about beating UTKFC for me.  Evaluating the losses I feel the same. 

Willie Fritz is my first choice but consider this. If you hire Fritz it will almost assuredly be 4 million over 4 years to get him. This is very important because you have to look at coaching hires as a imperfect science where the ability to get away from a bad one is just as important as finding a good one.   Being able to give Chico his shot for half that is something to think about.  If I thought he could recruit I would be all in.  I'm not certain he can but I am certain he would give the job everything he's got.

I agree. Sometimes our best option is sitting there staring us in the face, and we get so stupidly greedy that we can't even see what's in front of us. It has certainly happened to me with women more than once in my life. My concerns about him are more related to recruiting rather than field/player generalship. The idea is no doubt worthy of consideration IMO.  

• Upvote 4

So what happens if we beat LaTech, Middle Tenn, Tennessee and Utep?  Canales for President?

....of the Untied States...yes!

Full disclosure...I think we need to move in another direction. 

With that said, if we finish 3-4 with Canales running the show and stay competitive with La Tech I can't help but imagine what if. And if that what if happens he has to bring in new assistants that can make hay on the recruiting trail. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A defensive player recommends the offensive co ord? Trice must of been impressed from what he saw as a player.

How much did Mac hold back a Chico offense and how much did the run first of Mac make QBs say no thanks.

Just look at the stats of Chico compared to Mac, pretty impressive in a short period of time.

His energy is a huge plus. It is always mentioned to coach up the talent we can get. That is happening.

I hope he can win 2 - 3 more games, then we really take a look at Chico. Sign him for 3 yrs, $500,000 to $600,000 range with the requirement of a new OC and DC, in the $350,00 to $ 400,00 range! Bump for up for all Assistant Coaches.

Go Chico! Make it a tough decision for us!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1