Marcus Trice supporting Chico for HC job

Harry

Like someone said before.  If Chico is able to put a couple W's on the board, it will look good on his resume.  It's 5 years too late, we need to change the whole staff. 

^

Seems like a great guy, but I don't see him being able to do the most important thing in CFB very well...Recruit. And if we aren't implementing the triple option anytine soon our next hire has to put an uptick in recruiting. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If Chico gets the job, I want to see big name staff surrounding him and top tier recruiters.

I like Chico a lot, honestly. Always have.

But at this point, RV knows he has to clean house and make a big splash, so it would be doubtful he stays.

I wouldn't be upset if Chico got it, but I do like other candidates.

The players really respect him, wouldn't be surprised to reel off Ws against MUTS and UTEP, make it close against LaTech. 

And the important part--we aren't as bad this year as SMU was last year.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

If he were to get his wish and Chico was hired, I would hope that Canales would hire him as a GA or safeties coach. He and Orr were a big reason the '13 defense was so damn good.

tap the brakes on safety coach. GA absolutely, but this guy screwed up plenty and took garbage angles often.  His passion and energy would be an asset but only as a GA. He has a lot to learn, and we saw what happened the last time we brought in under qualified position coaches and coordinators.

• Upvote 1

We won one game.. I like Chico, I like his energy I like that the players like him. That being said we won one game lets not start second guessing is he or isn't he. My preference currently is a big name that has recruiting ties.. But I would certainly take Chico over the loser we are probably going to try and hire..

• Upvote 2

Like someone said before.  If Chico is able to put a couple W's on the board, it will look good on his resume.  It's 5 years too late, we need to change the whole staff. 

Glad to see some sanity in this thread.

If he were to get his wish and Chico was hired, I would hope that Canales would hire him as a GA or safeties coach. He and Orr were a big reason the '13 defense was so damn good.

A guy who has never been a grad assistant or coached at any level.

And you want to put him in charge of the secondary?...

just...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

If Chico gets the job, I want to see big name staff surrounding him and top tier recruiters.

I like Chico a lot, honestly. Always have.

But at this point, RV knows he has to clean house and make a big splash, so it would be doubtful he stays.

I wouldn't be upset if Chico got it, but I do like other candidates.

The players really respect him, wouldn't be surprised to reel off Ws against MUTS and UTEP, make it close against LaTech. 

And the important part--we aren't as bad this year as SMU was last year.

100% this

If he wins at MUTS & UTEP, then he would be 3-4 this year and 2-3 last time around when he almost took out Kansas St. and the MUTS.

If he had won one of those games and gone 3-2, he might have been hired 5years ago.

if he can get 2 more wins it would mean he took 2 dead in the water teams that were a combined 1-11 and finished 5-7 with exactly the same players. 

Winning 2 more games this year might be a stretch.  Beating UTEP is likely.

Honestly, I don't think there's anything wrong with hiring Chico.  There are better coaches and better recruiters out there, sure.  But, let's be honest - they aren't coming here.  The school's reputation aside, we simply can't pay them enough.  I don't want a big school coach in here anyway - I'm not sold that they can come down here and work without the safety nets, resources, and momentum that big schools have.

If you're not going to get a turnkey coach, the next best thing is a guy who is reasonably qualified, hungry, and knows the landscape.  Say what you want about Chico, but he at least fulfills those three criteria for me.  After being here for 5 years, he knows the warts and challenges, and he still wants it.  That says something.

Ultimately, I don't think much will change unless we happen to get lucky and catch lightning in a bottle.  Even then, history has shown that sustaining that success is too hard to reasonably expect it.  I'd say just let Chico run with it for a few seasons and see how he does.  Maybe it'll work out, maybe it won't.  It will be a crapshoot no matter who we hire - at least with Chico there's less lead-in time.

#damnwithfaintpraise

Edited by mad dog
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Honestly, I don't think there's anything wrong with hiring Chico.  There are better coaches and better recruiters out there, sure.  But, let's be honest - they aren't coming here.  The school's reputation aside, we simply can't pay them enough.

UNT pays the fourth-highest salary in CUSA, and that might go up for the next hire. We have a good stadium and are located in DFW, the largest metropolitan area in the South and the No. 5 TV market in the U.S. These are all selling points.

There's no reason to believe, as you appear to, that nobody good would want this job.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 3

I like Chico's enthusiasm and connection with the players, but I would have to see what the list of real alternatives are.  I don't see any reason why he would not be given the opportunity to interview if he was interested.  He seems like he has at least earned the right to an interview.  I would not say the same for Cosh.  If nothing else, it gives him a chance to polish his HC presentation skills for his next opportunity.