D. Smith

GreenTexan13

Obviously he was a little hyper....

But I don't know if I've seen a UNT QB with an arm like his. He has a rocket. I like him running the ball too. 

If he settles down, he could be fun to watch. 

(Edit--he was fun to watch.....but could be really special if he settles down)

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 7

He looks like a legit FBS QB. He's forcing things still, IMO. Needs to settle down and get adjusted to the speed of the game. I really like his potential.  WKU is a really good team.   I haven't a doubt he shoulda started since week one. 

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 5

He's great at extending plays, but needs to learn to set his feet when throwing. 

If the time had been invested in him the day he stepped on campus that would have been fixed. Instead Mcnutly was given all the attention. One decession left this team with the possibility of going 0-12 and now Smith has to come in and clean this mess up. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

If the time had been invested in him the day he stepped on campus that would have been fixed. Instead Mcnutly was given all the attention. One decession left this team with the possibility of going 0-12 and now Smith has to come in and clean this mess up. 

I agree, he is definitely making beginner mistakes. But, there is a better chance that we would have done better against SMU and Rice. I think the Portland state score would have been way different because he would have had 4 games under his belt. We are a victim of Mac's stubbornness. But I think we won't go 0-12 if Smith plays out the rest of the season. He will need the experience of Marshal next, to prepare himself for the U. Texas step children.

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 2

Really great arm strength. He has a lot of zip on the ball when on the run both the right and the left. He seems to almost be more comfortable throwing on the run than setting up in the pocket. He is a real threat to run the ball which gives this offense another dimension. Teams will have to respect that aspect of his game. He looks very decisive on his runs. He has great escapability and a knack for feeling the pressure. He has some very correctable errors in his throwing motion. His release point needs work as he throws some both hi and low when he sets up in the pocket. He gets excitable and needs to calm down and play more controlled. He needs to work on ball protection. Needs to recognize where the linebackers are on zone read. Again, the downside to his game is all easily correctable, coach able, and will come with more reps.

This is basically what some WKU fans said about D Smith when he was with them.    Still, they didn't want to see him go.    He needs all the work he can get this year.

• Upvote 1

It's not a mistake that we scored more points tonight than we have all year. Just makes me sick that Coach Mac would be that stubborn to start his friend's son over putting Smith at QB and winning! I think Canales wanted to start Smith but Coach Mac wouldn't allow it.  I also hope we don't have Canales as our future head coach and we get someone who can recruit! Our entire defense is not athletic.  I like how Coach Art Briles of Baylor recruits ATHLETES and plugs them where they are needed on the team. Gary Patterson of TCU does the same. 

I would love to see Coach Art Briles son, Kendal Briles, as our new head coach. 

Edited by MeanGreen01
  • Upvote 2

I'll that I'm more mad at Mac now than I was even after Portland State. It would've been one thing if Smith were a bust. But he's not. He made first-timer mistakes, but those were mistakes that would've been coached out if he got first team reps and more time at starter. If he started after SMU, this might be a 3-3 team, maybe even a 4-2 team.

Just...yeah, after seeing his numbers tonight, I'm more angry at a UNT coach than I've ever been. I feel like Williams could've been special. Smith more than likely IS.

• Upvote 6