D. Smith

GreenTexan13

I think Smith could be terrific.  He’s definitely got the physical and mental tools, and he can make plays.  A telling thing last night is that due to his ability to keep plays alive and get the ball (at least a few times) where it needed to be, there was much more involvement from a great number of receivers.  That’s a big deal.

I think there were legitimate reasons for keeping AM at QB up until now, and those were alluded to in Canales’ interview pre-game.  I sometimes wonder if people have lost their minds sometimes about putting in the “better player”, because it’s not that simple.  One telling thing that Canales also said—and I’m paraphrasing—was essentially ‘It’s not just about being a great athlete.  You have to be a great *quarterback*.’  There are a lot of components to that, and they are not all physical.  But whatever.  I think Smith could possibly be exactly what the team needs.  I think this offense can be pretty good by the end of the year.

Having said that, the defense…wow.  Cornerback is going to be a strength, IMO, but wow are they green.  Where UNT is really struggling is at LB.  Not sure what’s going on there, but unless the defense can get off the field more consistently and stop people on 3rd downs, there is a real possibility of 0-fer. 

LBer appears to be the worst unit on defense. 

• Upvote 2

Give this kid the rest of the season, plus spring, plus summer, plus fall, plus hopefully a new head coach and signal caller. Imagine what he could be next year. For the doubters, anyone see the SMU qb last year? Chad Morris has made him better. Anyone see what Trevon Boykin was before the co-OC came in last year? From dud to Heisman candidate! Coaching matters! He has talent, we need someone who can put it together and find the next guy, and the next, until a P5 steals him. 

You've got to be kidding me, D Smith has a decent long ball, not good, decent, but he's like a Quinci Carter of the Cowboys, mobile, but can't hit a target, over throws, under throws, come on, really, you can either throw or you can't. Way too late to try to teach someone to throw accurately, should have developed by 7th grade. Next year start over, no more transfers start fresh from the bottom.

• Downvote 10

You've got to be kidding me, D Smith has a decent long ball, not good, decent, but he's like a Quinci Carter of the Cowboys, mobile, but can't hit a target, over throws, under throws, come on, really, you can either throw or you can't. Way too late to try to teach someone to throw accurately, should have developed by 7th grade. Next year start over, no more transfers start fresh from the bottom.

Maybe he should have been having first team reps all season. In one game as a starter he is already about halfway to Mcnutlys total yards and had surpassed him in Tds. That's just one game as a starter. A stubborn coach is the reason Smith was not on point with the starters. He had 3 days to prepare while Mcnutly had been given two years!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

yeah those 7th graders tally double digit offers from most major programs in the country. The kid has talent, he needs to be coached.  He was being recruited to replace teddy bridgewater, let that sink in. 

• Upvote 2

yeah those 7th graders tally double digit offers from most major programs in the country. The kid has talent, he needs to be coached.  He was being recruited to replace teddy bridgewater, let that sink in. 

incorrect. he was recruited at the same time a Teddy. teddy is why he flipped to ucf at the last minute. people thought smith would be better than teddy being the hometown kid and all, flipping to ucf was probably the worst decision he ever made.

Edited by MeanGreen13

incorrect. he was recruited at the same time a Teddy. teddy is why he flipped to ucf at the last minute. people thought smith would be better than teddy being the hometown kid and all, flipping to ucf was probably the worst decision he ever made.

gulp, had my years mixed up. So he was recruited with Bridgewater, and competed with Doughty (spelling) for a job at WKU. Man he must have been a terrible quarterback. 

His ex coach compared his arm Mettenberger and I think that guy knows a little bit more than you. He has a live arm and probably the strongest in CUSA. He is a career 50-55% passer. He isn't the most accurate guy out there, but he has the tools to be a good QB in CUSA. 

• Upvote 1