Attendance

meangreenacct

I don't think people are understanding your point MG93-98.   I gotcha though.  The dismal attendance last night attests to what you're saying.    It's sad.

People get what he's saying. Our fan base isn't lousy, our team is. Why should we keep blowing money and time year after year after year to watch this pathetic program? Most people are like me. They are tired of their school being an embarrassment. It sucks and I'm just tired of it.

• Upvote 3

People get what he's saying. Our fan base isn't lousy, our team is. Why should we keep blowing money and time year after year after year to watch this pathetic program? Most people are like me. They are tired of their school being an embarrassment. It sucks and I'm just tired of it.

Great question.  At the risk of sounding too much like KRAM1, my answer is: Because it's your alma mater.  
If you're a sports fan, and you graduated from UNT, then be a fan of UNT and spend your money year after year (good times or bad) supporting your school.  

IMO, we shouldn't think of our school as a professional franchise.  We have no ties to professional franchises.  Jump on the wagon when they're good, jump off when they're not...  You graduated from North Texas.  These student-athletes wear that across their chests.  They represent you.  We all love it when we're crowded into the Cotton Bowl on a beautiful January afternoon, and we all hate it when we're setting records for worst loss ever by an FBS team to an FCS team.  But we persevere and support our team, because it's OUR team.

What would you do with your money otherwise?   If you spend time with family or something, then hey!  Can't fault you there.  Go do it.  
But if you would go shopping for some other team who isn't 'lousy', then you're exactly who MG93-98 is pointing at.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

JPbCHvo.jpg

This is the student side at it's most used point.  No way that is 1/3 full.  The wingzone has about 50 people sitting in it, the alumni side is a little fuller than than the student side.

Even the club level was largely empty.

Isn't there only around 300 kids in the band?  If so...in looking at that photo your looking at MAYBE 1,000 on that side?????

BTW....November 18th, 2000 vs NMSU at Fouts was much much worse.  Many of us counted less than 700 total.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

Isn't there only around 300 kids in the band?  If so...in looking at that photo your looking at MAYBE 1,000 on that side?????

BTW....November 18th, 2000 vs NMSU at Fouts was much much worse.  Many of us counted less than 700 total.

Rick

I wish I had a picture of the night game at Fouts in November of 1992 when we played Nicholls State...there weren't  500 people in the stands that night, including the band. 

Random Thoughts On Attendance

If you build it AND DEFEND IT, they will come! Our real goal should be win at home and split on the road. It will take at least four years of 7 - 5 or better to get close to what we want attendance numbers to consistently be. In retrospect, 2013 was an outlier. In essence, "everyone loves a winner" and those of us who have suffered for years made up a substantial part of that 10,000 we saw on Thursday. I suspect that we will see what the real core attendance is in the next two games at home. I need a beer so I can focus.

Further affiant sayeth not.

• Upvote 1

It's ridiculous that we have all the early games during the scorching heat of September, and then a night game on October 31st, ensuring that people with kids won't come and students won't come. I'd be surprised if there's 5k people at that game.

Because we are a whore for TV.  And that sucks.  "You want us to play on a Thursday night when attendance will be crappy?  Yep, sure if we can be on TV.  Halloween night?  Sure, no problem".  Not worth it!

Edited by vpackrats

Because we are a whore for TV.  And that sucks.  "You want us to play on a Thursday night when attendance will be crappy  Yep, sure if we can be on TV".  Halloween night?  Sure, no problem.  Not worth it.

I think that's a function of CUSA, not UNT.  I despise the weeknight games.  I mean, I really, really hate them because I always have to pay for them and rarely attend them.  But so goes the G5 television contracts of the day.  EVERY school in CUSA, and probably the other four G5 schools is getting stuck with this crap now.

• Upvote 2

Because we are a whore for TV.  And that sucks.  "You want us to play on a Thursday night when attendance will be crappy?  Yep, sure if we can be on TV.  Halloween night?  Sure, no problem".  Not worth it!

We could have stayed in the Sun Belt and still had Thursday night games.  If the fan base is so against Thursday night games, then we should suck up our pride, pack our bags, and move into a lower division.  That way we won't get any TV coverage unless we get lucky and an FBS schedules us for a game and we get lucky to have the game be broadcast on TV.

I get it's where I graduated from but there are other ways to support UNT other than football. Like taking my family to watch soccer like we already do. I'm not going to run out and become a fan of someone else but I'm not going to run out and watch us get killed either. This is why I haven't been to a games since the home opener and cancelled my trips to Tennessee and Louisiana. I'm a graduate of North Texas and a 4 year Letterman who is fed up with our football program continually rebuilding.

The football team is so bad even the TV commentators were laughing at this team. They are an embarrassment to the university. We get blown out every week because we aren't competitive and those players who wear that name on their chest quit on the university, coaches, students, and alumni. Firing a coach won't change that either.

I get how good it felt when we played in the HOD Bowl. When 80 teams play in bowl games annually and we go once a decade then I'd say that's pretty ridiculous. I also love blowing thousands on hotels, airfare, tickets, and travel time to go see this team embarrass itself. UTEP last season concluded me traveling to see this team for the foreseeable future.

I'll always be a UNT fan but I'm not going to get to worked up over a team that may not be consistently good in my lifetime. If they give me a reason to get excited then I'm all in but I'm not holding my breath. In the meantime maybe basketball will improve. I'm very dissatisfied. I've been on the band wagon for a several decades and continue to be in the wagon. I'm just half asleep in it.

This team is like an abusive spouse that keeps beating me, then tells me they are sorry and promise never to do it again. And then I come home again.

Uhg,  frustrated...

I'm guessing you watched on TV based on this comment.  
If so, you probably saw that the players didn't have any quit in them.   Just because they got blown out by the conference juggernaut doesn't mean they quit.  This coming weekend, they'll probably get blown out by the other conference juggernaut, but I imagine there will be no more quit this year.  If you're able use your tickets on 10/31 & 11/28, do it.  I think you'll see some pretty great games, possibly wins.

By all means, keep going to the soccer games!  You're absolutely right about other ways to support the University's student-athletes.  

sticker,375x360.png

• Upvote 1

...or some of us could grow a spine and demand better?

Rick

Demand better what, exactly? There are P5 games played on Thursday nights alongside the NFL.  UCLA and Cal have a game this Thursday.

If you don't want Thursday night games, talk to the conference and not NT.  The conference is who ultimately agrees to the TV deal. The school has to go with the agreement no matter what the fans say.

• Upvote 2

Demand better what, exactly? There are P5 games played on Thursday nights alongside the NFL.  UCLA and Cal have a game this Thursday.

If you don't want Thursday night games, talk to the conference and not NT.  The conference is who ultimately agrees to the TV deal. The school has to go with the agreement no matter what the fans say.

So you mean to tell us that the conference decides all and never allows input from the schools? Never takes into account significant dates in each school's area/region?

So you mean to tell us that the conference decides all and never allows input from the schools? Never takes into account significant dates in each school's area/region?

The school can ask the conference to consider certain things (like other games going on in the DFW area) but again, the conference and the respective TV station will dictate dates and times games are played.  I think the risk involved with that could be your school gets fewer TV games, so it's a tough line to cross as you don't want to bite the hand that feeds you.