MGB: Sounds like Smith is going to get his shot

Brett Vito

great news --- finally. 

I think people are going to be amazed at how wide open Canales will be now without Mac around. 

I remember how wide open he was when TD left.... Oh wait, lol it was the same stuff. I liked it then, I like it now. Get the ball into Tee, Wilson, Ivory, Smith, and Harris' hands and see what happens. 

• Upvote 6

At the end of the season Canales and UNT go their separate ways,  no matter what happens in the next 7 games. 

That may be true, but these 7 games are important for both Coach Chico and our program.  We have never gone winless at North Texas.  Chico's legacy here and at future places could well be defined by this 7-game stretch.   I for one am pulling for him to be successful.  As fans we will again get to see the real Chico offense and that should be fun.

I don't think that Smith's ability can be defined by this game. He will have had only two practices with the starters and he will be playing against an incredibly solid team that is predicted to kick the crap out of us no matter who we start at quarterback. We could trot Peyton Manning out there and still lose by 50. I am happy that we are finally giving some quality time to an underclassman though and I hope Smith reaches the potential that so many recruiting staffs once saw in him.

• Upvote 5

I don't think that Smith's ability can be defined by this game. He will have had only two practices with the starters and he will be playing against an incredibly solid team that is predicted to kick the crap out of us no matter who we start at quarterback. We could trot Peyton Manning out there and still lose by 50. I am happy that we are finally giving some quality time to an underclassman though and I hope Smith reaches the potential that so many recruiting staffs once saw in him.

It would be tough for us to beat them, but at least we shouldn't have to wonder why no highly regarded transfer quarterback can ever see the field here.  And our previous numbers 1 and 2 couldn't translate their success in practice to game time, so am looking forward to the relatively unpracticed number 3.

• Upvote 2

Should the team respond positively under Canales, should he be given the opportunity to interview and be a serious candidate?

If Canales had a winning record after the next seven games you bet he would make my top 3.  That is a HUGE if.  Our schedule is tough. Still if we a playing hypotheticals yes I would take a hard look but ultimately think I would pass on him as I don't think he can recruit. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

You people don't seem to get it.   If after the Mickey Mouse operation he's witnessed the past 7 years around here...Chico still wants to work another day after this season is over then he needs his head examined.

The absolute best thing for Mike is to get the F<£# out of Denton as soon as possible.

Rick

Yeah, but people tend to get cushy (not "Coshy" I hope) and settle into their jobs. I guess we'll find out how aggressively ambitious Chico is at this point in his life pretty soon.

No

I don't get some of you guys. The athletic program is probably at its lowest point in terms of competitiveness in its history and some of you want to put a band-aid on a bleeding open wound. 

This.

The willingness to accept mediocrity... Strike that... FAILURE by this fan base never ceases to amaze me.

Its ok to like yourself, people.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1