Today really hurt

El Paso Eagle

What hurt most about watching us lose today was seeing our helmets with those 125 year stickers on them, knowing we are a 37,000 student university and have been playing football for over 100 of those years... yet we tolerate stinking at football. This is Mac's 5th season. He owns these results, whether or not he will admit to it. None of us were expecting a win today in this "opportunity game", but it would have been nice to see something that might give us hope for a win in our next home game, even if only a few of us will be there to see it.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 4

What hurt most about watching us lose today was seeing our helmets with those 125 year stickers on them, knowing we are a 37,000 student university and have been playing football for over 100 of those years... yet we tolerate stinking at football. This is Mac's 4th season. He owns these results, whether or not he will admit to it. None of us were expecting a win today in this "opportunity game", but it would have been nice to see something that might give us hope for a win in our next home game, even if only a few of us will be there to see it.

5th season.

But, ya.

I don't date back as far as many people, but I did grow up in Denton and both of my parents are alums (and my dad was a four year letterman in track/cross country) so my blood runs pretty damn green.  I attended some basketball games when I was still in elementary school (probably football too, but I don't remember those). 

This is the first time since ...ever(?) that I don't have any hope in any of our big three sports.  When I was a kid in the late 80's we made the NCAA tourney in basketball.  We nearly made it back a couple more times.  Coach Simon had some nice teams and a memorable win over Texas Tech (and three great quarters against Texas A&M a week later).  Even in the dark days of Trilli and Dickey's first couple of seasons at least Slinker had some entertaining teams.  When Dickey turned it around it was okay that basketball was struggling.  Then it was okay when football was because JJ gave us a reason to be proud.  Now there is literally nothing about our big sports that makes me think we have a shot to do anything.

I do enjoy following our "off brand" sports (especially the runners given my family connection to the program)-- but it's still not the same.  There's just so little hope right now.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 5

I do enjoy following our "off brand" sports (especially the runners given my family connection to the program)-- but it's still not the same.  There's just so little hope right now.

Yup. Anyone that's looking forward to the future... Why? Sincerely, where is your optimism? Because I'm really, really struggling to see a bright future anywhere within the next 12-24 months, anywhere on our major sports horizon. 

Is it basketball? Men's or Women's... I don't think you're in for much to celebrate this year. 

Is it next season? What improvement are you expecting? Which of our verbals (we do have two, right?) are going to come in and change things? Which QB is going to develop and outshine what we've seen the past two years? What JUCO or HS recruit is going to come here based on the way we've developed freshmen or served as a platform for success for JUCOs/transfers? 

Is it the hope of a change in leadership? If so, where? If we replace either our basketball coach or our football coach... Do you feel optimistic about whoever our AD will hire to replace them? Even with the hiring history he's demonstrated in the past 15 years? If we replace our AD, but can't or won't spend the money to change either or both coaches, does that mean those coaches are going to start coaching and/or recruiting better anyway? If we clean house and hire a new AD, a new football coach, and a new basketball coach all within 12 months of each other... What are the odds that we hit on any or all of those? What can we even afford given what those buyouts would cost?

Seriously, because I'd love to know when I can even expect to be excited about something... Where the hell are we supposed to look to see something, anything, that isn't a miserable slog on all fronts for at least another year, if not more? 

RIght now, the only thing that makes me think we might have any level of success in any major sport any time before our next paycheck trip to Iowa is the fact that we've finally put DaMarcus Smith in the game. Those 3 relatively unproductive plays are all I'm hanging my hopes on for the short term future. And if he gets a few starts but can't lead us to wins? Oy... Then what? 

Yup. Anyone that's looking forward to the future... Why? Sincerely, where is your optimism? Because I'm really, really struggling to see a bright future anywhere within the next 12-24 months, anywhere on our major sports horizon. 

Is it basketball? Men's or Women's... I don't think you're in for much to celebrate this year. 

Is it next season? What improvement are you expecting? Which of our verbals (we do have two, right?) are going to come in and change things? Which QB is going to develop and outshine what we've seen the past two years? What JUCO or HS recruit is going to come here based on the way we've developed freshmen or served as a platform for success for JUCOs/transfers? 

Is it the hope of a change in leadership? If so, where? If we replace either our basketball coach or our football coach... Do you feel optimistic about whoever our AD will hire to replace them? Even with the hiring history he's demonstrated in the past 15 years? If we replace our AD, but can't or won't spend the money to change either or both coaches, does that mean those coaches are going to start coaching and/or recruiting better anyway? If we clean house and hire a new AD, a new football coach, and a new basketball coach all within 12 months of each other... What are the odds that we hit on any or all of those? What can we even afford given what those buyouts would cost?

Seriously, because I'd love to know when I can even expect to be excited about something... Where the hell are we supposed to look to see something, anything, that isn't a miserable slog on all fronts for at least another year, if not more? 

RIght now, the only thing that makes me think we might have any level of success in any major sport any time before our next paycheck trip to Iowa is the fact that we've finally put DaMarcus Smith in the game. Those 3 relatively unproductive plays are all I'm hanging my hopes on for the short term future. And if he gets a few starts but can't lead us to wins? Oy... Then what? 

Ugh. Why don't you just fill up the bathtub, hand me the razor, and let me get it over with?

• Upvote 1

Ugh. Why don't you just fill up the bathtub, hand me the razor, and let me get it over with?

There's still something to live for, Rob. 

You can donate change for a Smatresk crowdfund on the 10th! Or give me your parking pass for the CUSA championship game to support an art project! 

After that, though... Go, DaMarcus? 

FWIW, I will be curious to know if/how things change when Andrew's gone.  It may tell us something about this team and staff, or it might not tell us anything at all.

The best thing that happened was also the worst thing that happened. The smoke and mirrors of 2013. I was at or watched every game like most here. That season was a fluke. We were blinded by facts because of results. Our offense wasn't great. Our   D, while solid, wasn't as good as it looked on paper. It was opportunistic as all get out. So was special teams.

Our schedule wasn't great that year either. But it was fun, not going to lie. I enjoyed the hell out of that bowl win. But man, looking back now...red flags everywhere.

When McCarney was hired, I had a big ? over my head. But initially I thought...he can get the foundation of this program to a point where 5 wins is guaranteed (before the cusa jump and we were winning 1 a season) and then a new guy can take over and get us ahead...a la the Chad Morris or that ilk.

Now I wonder if Franchione would be better, and if it's possible Leach is fired and available. Screw updated 10 year old locker rooms. Move McCarney to AD and hire Leach. That $5 mil or whatever should cover that. 

I DVR'd the game and am watching it at 6am because I'm a masochist. 

When it was 28-3 in the 2nd quarter after that wide open 88yd TD pass by the Hawkeyes, one of the ESPN-U announcers said Iowa's offense against was "like the Death Star against Alderaan."

That stings worse than anything that happened on the field.

• Upvote 1