Today really hurt

El Paso Eagle

It's hard to invest a lot of yourself when it's obvious that none of the administration/coaching staff does. I invested a ton of myself into the basketball program, just to see it get ripped to shreds by an incompetent hire of an incompetent coach. It takes a special level of masochism to be a UNT fan.

whoa whoa whoa.  There is a big difference between not investing in themselves and incompetence.  I think they invest in themselves. 

Not for the loss, or the way we played. But the realization after 30 years of watching the Mean Green that I'm starting to not care. That hurts me more than any loss.

The commentators stated that the remainder of the schedule was the toughest in Conference USA. So it continues to go down hill? We looked like a FCS opponent today. Hopefully we can beat the FCS opponent who is coming to Appogee for Homecoming. I am starting to be thankful that I will be on the East coast that weekend. I will not have to sit in the stands and be embarrassed further.

whoa whoa whoa.  There is a big difference between not investing in themselves and incompetence.  I think they invest in themselves. 

I think that is extremely questionable after today for a number of reasons with the coaching staff.

With the administration, I think it's a mixture of laziness, incompetence, and just not giving a shit.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Mac better give the fanbase hope and look for that quick shot in the arm.  The only way he can do that is give players that don't normally play a chance to play. His current personnel selection  is taking him straight to an 0-5 start. Something has to change Coach Mac. Whatcha gonna do before the fanbase goes down quicker than this season does?

• Upvote 1

Yes, very true the person doing the hiring the of the coaches has to go.   How much time does RV has on his contract?   I give Mac the 2016 season to turn it around maybe, if RV is gone.  I would like the new AD to have a year under their belt learning about the program before hiring their first football head coach.  That is if you can go big time and get really good coach on the rebound at the end of 2015, like a Chip Kelly.   Also I was so sick of hearing about our staff's connections with Iowa.   If you are talking about our schools connections with another school no where near Texas it should be a program with recent national championship game appearances or near misses.   Hearing about Hayden Frye doesn't dazzle recruits from the state of Texas, their parents or even grandparents (in some cases) .

• Upvote 5

Yes, very true the person doing the hiring the of the coaches has to go.   How much time does RV has on his contract?   I give Mac the 2016 season to turn it around maybe, if RV is gone.  I would like the new AD to have a year under their belt learning about the program before hiring their first football head coach.  That is if you can go big time and get really good coach on the rebound at the end of 2015, like a Chip Kelly.   Also I was so sick of hearing about our staff's connections with Iowa.   If you are talking about our schools connections with another school no where near Texas it should be a program with recent national championship game appearances or near misses.   Hearing about Hayden Frye doesn't dazzle recruits from the state of Texas, their parents or even grandparents (in some cases) .

Mac can't turn it around until he joins the modern world of college football, and that ain't likely to happen. God help us.

• Upvote 3

I agree with you.  But this program is always crying poverty and he does have 2 years left on his contract.  So I don't even want to get my hopes up about him being gone.  And I would bet my life they won't fire both of them with more that one year left on their respective contracts.  So if I can only reasonably hope to get rid of one this year, it would be RV.  Because we absolutely can't let RV select another head coach.

Mac can't turn it around until he joins the modern world of college football, and that ain't likely to happen. God help us.

I agree with you.  But this program is always crying poverty and he does have 2 years left on his contract.  So I don't even want to get my hopes up about him being gone.  And I would bet my life they won't fire both of them with more that one year left on their respective contracts.  So if I can only reasonably hope to get rid of one this year, it would be RV.  Because we absolutely can't let RV select another head coach.

• Upvote 2

this is correct. We have the money to buy out RV and Benford. Canales's contract is up at the end of the year and will/should be gone. 

Hopefully the new AD won't be scared of the people that work for him and will order DMac to hire a young, aggressive AD and tell Mac that he has no say whatsoever in the offense. See how that works for a year and then can Mac's ass if it doesn't work or he interfers in the offense. 

But this scenario contains some logic, so there is no way this happens at UNT. 

• Upvote 4

this is correct. We have the money to buy out RV and Benford. Canales's contract is up at the end of the year and will/should be gone. 

Hopefully the new AD won't be scared of the people that work for him and will order DMac to hire a young, aggressive AD and tell Mac that he has no say whatsoever in the offense. See how that works for a year and then can Mac's ass if it doesn't work or he interfers in the offense. 

But this scenario contains some logic, so there is no way this happens at UNT. 

I don't think ordering Mac to get out the offense will work regardless of who the next AD is.  Mac is stubborn and at this point in career he has nothing to lose.  So I think he would force the new AD to fire him under those conditions or keep his hands in the offense.  I am less concern about Benford because there are no colleges in the area with a tradition of basketball success so it is just a harder job here at UNT.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1