MGB: UNT press conference notes (updated with McNulty, Harris video)

Brett Vito

Rice is a fresh start? What is fresh about it? The defense and special teams did all they could do on Saturday and we still lost. Are we supposed to believe that since the 4 weeks of fall practice didn't work, that the week between SMU and Rice is the week that #5 becomes vastly improved?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 5

Hate to break this to you Mac, but Rice will be more of a challenge than SMU was.

Yes, if we couldn't move the ball against a mediocre defense at best last week, moving the ball against what looks to be a very good defense in Rice is likely going to be damned near impossible. I'm afraid that our fresh starts aren't going to end anytime soon.  

Rice is a fresh start? What is fresh about it? The defense and special teams did all they could do on Saturday and we still lost. Are we supposed to believe that since the 4 weeks of fall practice didn't work, that the week between SMU and Rice is the week that #5 becomes vastly improved?

Game 1 to Game 2 is the biggest learning curve of the season; so, ya never know?

Having said that, this is spelling out to the tune of another ~2 win McCarney season.

• Upvote 1

How did nobody on offense play good enough? Jimmerson looked pretty good. Murray looked like a monster except for a hands to the face penalty. Just covering for his boy #5.

"We've really, really executed well in our offense through spring ball and through camp"

Really Mac? They executed well against air? Go figure.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

How did nobody on offense play good enough? Jimmerson looked pretty good. Murray looked like a monster except for a hands to the face penalty. Just covering for his boy #5.

On that hands to the face penalty, he looked like the big brother holding the little brother at bay as the lil bro tries to land a punch but can't reach. I was hoping he would then throw the guy down, pin his arms, and do that thing where he lets spit almost hit his face just before sucking it back up over and over.

Edited by cwb
  • Upvote 2

Dan Mccarney is full of shit. We know it. It's safe to say Smastrek knows it. Most of the BOR probably knows it. Even deep down RV knows it. But, nothing will be done about it and that is why after getting off work at 3:30 in Denton and driving like a bat out of hell to get to Dallas to watch this garbage, I am done until changes are made. Our football program is a joke. Our coaching staff is a joke. And in hand, it's making our university look like a joke. President Smastrek said it best a few weeks ago, "Like it or not, athletics gives our university the best pedestal as a university." I obviously paraphrased, but it's something a long those lines if not that exact line. Well, Prez, our pedestal is about 2 inches tall buried underneath every single FBS athletic program in the state of Texas, and that's just scratching the surface. If Smastrek doesn't start attaching action to his words relatively soon it will just prove valid that he has gotten snowballed with them all. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Trotting out the same offense against Rice will be a disaster. Until we can balance the attack we are going to get our asses handed to us.

I remember "Throw the F'n ball, Dickey!!". Maybe it is time to update that call.

• Upvote 1

Trotting out the same offense against Rice will be a disaster. Until we can balance the attack we are going to get our asses handed to us.

I remember "Throw the F'n ball, Dickey!!". Maybe it is time to update that call.

I heard that a lot during the game. The gentleman in front of me was giving it to our staff. I appreciated this very much.

Back to the press conference, I appreciate Vito straight up asking Mac about Canales' freedom to call the plays at the 12:15 mark.

He talks about UT being one-dimensional and how Heard only threw 7 times. He failed to mention that Heard averaged 17 yards per attempt and ran 10 times for 96 yards. Someone needs to inform Mac that it is 2015 and quarterbacks are allowed to run. Additionally, the forward pass can be really effective with the right man throwing it.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

How the heck are you going to execute on offense, if your QB can't throw a decent pass to our receivers?! and then a defense knows UNT can only run the ball due to the lack of skill of throwing skill at QB, and the runners will stand no chance.... I sat in the endzone last Saturday...And several terrible throws, that the receiver stood no chance at catching.

• Upvote 1

*** Please don't take this as defending what happened on the field last weekend. ***

33 rushing attempts versus 34 pass attempts.  If that's not a balanced offense, what is?

What needs to happen is the offense needs to become more efficient.  16 of 34 passing with no TDs and 2 INTs ain't going to win you very many games.

• Upvote 3

I heard that a lot during the game. The gentleman in front of me was giving it to our staff. I appreciated this very much.

Back to the press conference, I appreciate Vito straight up asking Mac about Canales' freedom to call the plays at the 12:15 mark.

He talks about UT being one-dimensional and how Heard only threw 7 times. He failed to mention that Heard averaged 17 yards per attempt and ran 10 times for 96 yards. Someone needs to inform Mac that it is 2015 and quarterbacks are allowed to run. Additionally, the forward pass can be really effective with the right man throwing it.

Does Mac know that UT had the ball for only 16 minutes on Saturday?   Or that they only ran 38 plays as an offense?  They didn't have much time or much of a need to open it up.    

*** Please don't take this as defending what happened on the field last weekend. ***

33 rushing attempts versus 34 pass attempts.  If that's not a balanced offense, what is?

What needs to happen is the offense needs to become more efficient.  16 of 34 passing with no TDs and 2 INTs ain't going to win you very many games.

Agreed! My bad. I really should have suggested we edit the cry to "Complete the F'n pass, ......." but then I would have to advocate getting on a specific player. I do not advocate that.

The statistics show that we attempted a balanced attack, for sure. Getting the ball to Harris, Goree, et al, in stride headed upfield a few times should free up some running room. Someone has to be capable of putting a catchable ball there for them. Surely one of our quarterbacks could do that. Playbook be damned! I don't care if they draw the play up on the artificial turf if they can execute it. They have to find a way to get the defense to respect the pass or we will be seeing more of our talented running back corps get hurt.

One more thing : GO MEAN GREEN!  I'll get off my soapbox now. Thanks for letting me vent.