Should Coach Mac....

H-towngreen

Should Coach Mac  

107 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, with where we are as a football team in year 5 under Coach Mac, should he be fired?

• Yes
    • No

I wouldn't fire him yet after week one. I'd let the season play out. Maybe he gets this team to rally. However, the way things are going right now he won't be able to rectify the situation. He isn't going to allow the offense to be wide open. He is going to stick with McNulty like a boat captain going down with his ship. 

The reason you have to move on from Mac is the offensive woes. If North Texas wants to be a top tier P5 program they need to be able to score more than 23 points a game like his teams have averaged throughout his career. Defense & special teams are nice, but today's college football game is about offense. Mac has shown his teams are inept on offense. He has shown an inability to change with the times. I appreciate his work here. He cleaned up a mess, but we need a different guy to take us to the promise land. 

• Upvote 1

Buy out  Mac's contract and allow Chico to run it his way. His interim stretch post Dodge was brilliant.

You paying for that buyout?  
McCarney got a 5 yr extension @ something like $800k/yr after the HoD bowl win.  We're in year 2 of that extension, so you're going to be out of pocket around ~$3million.

Chico did not call the plays when he was the interim HC, the WR coach that became the OC did.  I can't recall his namebut he is back coaching HS ball if I remember correctly.

I think we all understand that...   but,  just like the Chico is subject to the McCarney's philosophies now, Coach Hines (now at Denton Ryan) was subject to Chico's philosophies while he was interim.  Make sense?

You people want me to believe Canales has been farting around here for all these years as a 'Yes' man to McCarney? Bullshit. He's failed to find and develop QB talent. That's on him. Hence, we get the pathetic offense we roll out week to week.

The 2 dudes he was 'allowed' to bring in were:
Means - committed early, and was exposed during his H.S. Senior year.  Definitely a bust, and a poor reflection on Canales.
Dajon - certainly showed flashes of being the kind of QB Chico liked, but he did not care for the football.  Another bust, but I think Canales identified his talent... he just couldn't put it together against FBS opponents.  
I think we're all pretty sure McNulty was not Chico's guy.

He wanted Scotty Young... we get Berglund.  Lately, he wants to offer H.S. QB's (likely to rectify his poor choice of Means), we get JUCO QB transfers instead.

I think many of us would do things a little differently at our jobs, but we have bosses who cascade their visions down to us.  In that case, what do we do?  Defy the boss?  Or fart around as a 'Yes' man while trying to do what you can?

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
Forgot about Dajon
  • Upvote 2

The one dude he was 'allowed' to bring in (Means) committed early, and was exposed during his H.S. Senior year.  Definitely a bust, and a poor reflection on Canales.  I think we're all pretty sure McNulty was not Chico's guy.

He wanted Scotty Young... we get Berglund.  He wants to offer H.S. QB's, we get JUCO QB transfers.

I think many of us would do things a little differently at our jobs, but we have bosses who cascade their visions down to us.  In that case, what do we do?  Defy the boss?  Or fart around as a 'Yes' man while trying to do what you can?

Not how it works, Offensive Coordinators have their own style and Canales' has been the same across several different head coaches. I looked him up when he was announced and I lost all excitement. Plus pay attention here, regardless of play calling he has never had a offense that came out on the field that looked ready to play. If you think so you are simply fooling yourself.   

And we would be out of our minds to not go out and find a better than Chico when there is a coaching change. 

Not how it works, Offensive Coordinators have their own style and Canales' has been the same across several different head coaches. I looked him up when he was announced and I lost all excitement. Plus pay attention here, regardless of play calling he has never had a offense that came out on the field that looked ready to play. If you think so you are simply fooling yourself.   

And we would be out of our minds to not go out and find a better than Chico when there is a coaching change. 

We saw his "style" when he was the interim HC.  I'm not sure what you mean by "looked ready to play".

Don't worry.  You'll get your wish for a new O.C.  Maybe even before this season is over.  Mac could bring Hal Mumme in to be the new O.C. and we'll still be running the ball a ton.

We saw his "style" when he was the interim HC.  I'm not sure what you mean by "looked ready to play".
Don't worry.  You'll get your wish for a new O.C.  Maybe even before this season is over.  Mac could bring Hal Mumme in to be the new O.C. and we'll still be running the ball a ton.

You should not kid yourself about the interim stuff, if you look it up most teams have a bit of a bounce back if a head coach is fired mid season. Hines was calling Hines style not Canales style plays.  You know it is all out there if you want dig. Or are you saying every Head Coach has kept Chico down? 

There is a reason Chico is not a head coach anywhere and it started long before he showed up at UNT.

You should not kid yourself about the interim stuff, if you look it up most teams have a bit of a bounce back if a head coach is fired mid season. Hines was calling Hines style not Canales style plays.  You know it is all out there if you want dig. Or are you saying every Head Coach has kept Chico down? 

There is a reason Chico is not a head coach anywhere and it started long before he showed up at UNT.

Conroy Hines was not an offensive coordinator.  He did not have a "style" to call.  He was calling Chico's plays out of Chico's book.

He clearly wasn't having issues with South Florida between 2006-2009.  His QB's were throwing for almost 3k yards, and the leading rushers were ALSO the QBs EVERY SINGLE YEAR.  What would suddenly change (besides the QBs he can work with... you know the ones who are not under 6'3", except McCarney's homeboy, re: not fast enough to run) that would keep him from keeping up the same offensive style?  You guessed it, old-school McCarney.

His stop at Arizona was admittedly not good.  Otherwise, his offenses have been pretty potent everywhere he's been... until McCarney.

NO TO THIS, Canales is a big problem. Chico needs to be gone tomorrow.

Quarterback is the problem. The bus drivers we like to tout around (Trent Dilfer, Greg McElroy, Derek Thompson) did one thing that #5 cannot, they made the throws that were asked of them more times than they missed them.

I've heard from several player families that Chico is incredibly frustrated with the offense he is ordered to run, and would be running something completely different if he had gotten the job.   

I have no idea what that would look like, I am just passing on what I have heard.

As stated in other topics, I would be genuinely interested if this were brought up at the open mic for the coaches show. Mac needs to be held accountable about how abysmal the offense has been under his regime. I can only imagine what kind of numbers we would be putting up with the receiving corps we have and an Air Raid type offense with DaMarcus Smith at the helm. 

Conroy Hines was not an offensive coordinator.  He did not have a "style" to call.  He was calling Chico's plays out of Chico's book.
He clearly wasn't having issues with South Florida between 2006-2009.  His QB's were throwing for almost 3k yards, and the leading rushers were ALSO the QBs EVERY SINGLE YEAR.  What would suddenly change (besides the QBs he can work with... you know the ones who are not under 6'3", except McCarney's homeboy, re: not fast enough to run) that would keep him from keeping up the same offensive style?  You guessed it, old-school McCarney.

His stop at Arizona was admittedly not good.  Otherwise, his offenses have been pretty potent everywhere he's been... until McCarney.

Yeah did he really need to develop the QB at South Florida? No 

I would be happy with a prepared offense then I can worry about the play calling.

He needs to go, maybe Mac too. But changes need to be made

Edited by KingDL1

The one dude he was 'allowed' to bring in (Means) committed early, and was exposed during his H.S. Senior year.  Definitely a bust, and a poor reflection on Canales.  I think we're all pretty sure McNulty was not Chico's guy.

He wanted Scotty Young... we get Berglund.  He wants to offer H.S. QB's, we get JUCO QB transfers.

I'm paid to do my job the best I can. If I need to "defy" my boss, I will. Who would want a coach at any level that wasn't the same way? We aren't wondering about the best way to flip a burger at McDonald's.

Regardless of who he's "allowed" to bring in and what he's been "allowed" to do, he has failed.

• Upvote 1

Yeah did he really need to develop the QB at South Florida? No 

Gothe got progressively better every year.  So... yeah.  I would say so.

Don't worry though King.  You'll get your wish shortly.  Either sometime this season, or at the end of the year.  Just don't be surprised to see the same crap next year.

And when Chico winds up at some SBC school (because those coaches will remember his offense from 2010) somehow, the playbook will magically open up!

Gothe got progressively better every year.  So... yeah.  I would say so.

Don't worry though King.  You'll get your wish shortly.  Either sometime this season, or at the end of the year.  Just don't be surprised to see the same crap next year.

And when Chico winds up at some SBC school (because those coaches will remember his offense from 2010) somehow, the playbook will magically open up!

I would figure a really talented QB would get better with real experience over the years I would not pin that on Canales I would say he got better in spite of Canales. I clearly don't like what I have seen with Canales period. This is his 6th year and I am ready to see him leave we need a change, but I a fine with a clean slate starting at the AD level. But I don't think Mac will fire anyone including Canales. 

If we fire Mac please have our new coach hire his guys with an all new staff. 

This is why family members shouldn't get on boards. You aren't really defending these "kids." You're taking his comment personally and you are lashing out to defend John. Let's be serious...

Where is Andrew McNulty at right now 5 years after graduating high school if THIS staff didn't offer him? Riddle me that. 

I don't mind that approach on 3rd & 20 in a close game. I mean sure, run a screen or something to at least give your guys a shot of breaking a play for a 1st down, but that doesn't bother me. What bothers is recovering the muffed punt on the road early in the game we run the exact or similar form of the same play 3 straight times conceding to the world that no QB improvement has actually been made and indirectly telling every smart fan worth his/her salt that we are getting ready to witness an entire year of the same exact ugly bullshit. That's the kind of stuff that bothers me.

My wife knows little about football. Midway through the 2nd quarter she looked at me and said why do we keep running the same run play over and over when it's not working. 

Oh Jeeeeezzz.... YOU come on, "Ben Gooding"...  Is your voice screechy? It is in my head.

What are you even still doing here? Your life can't be that bad....?  WHY are you so passionate about this? Have you asked yourself?   It's creepy.... I'm glad you like UNT football and everything but I haven't heard anything remotely close to what a "fan" would say.  Seems like you just like to bitch.

AND- Before you start- SAVE IT, BENNY BOY.  We have how many paragraphs of yours now? WE KNOW.  WE. KNOW.  I could type a response believably yours in 5 minutes.  And....we Don't care. You've become predictable.  Change it up and be funny or go away.

Go ahead.  -1 me all you want, folks... You're welcome.  You have ALL thought it.

"GMG"

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Didn't dispute what I said, no? 

My physical presence is stopping. Until D1 athletes are recruited and started at key positions I will not be showing up. No worries. I'll stay at home and watch real football with family and friends that have real offenses being manned by real quarterbacks who are developed by real coaches. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2