What can we do with our fans to teach them when to make noise and when not

KingDL1

For years our fans will cheer while our own offense is lining up and trying to call plays?

Where does that come from? 

And they can be rather quiet at times when the defense is on the field, though at times the sound is fantastic. So important for home-fields. 

I was happy about the fans forcing what I think was a timeout do to noise tonight in the first half by SMU. If so I have never seen it before where a home team was in that position. 

For years our fans will cheer while our own offense is lining up and trying to call plays?

And they can be rather quiet at times when the defense is on the field, though at times the sound is fantastic. So important for home-fields. 

I was happy about the fans forcing what I think was a timeout do to noise tonight in the first half by SMU. If so I have never seen it before where a home team was in that position. 

Well they want to cheer, and our team doesn't give them much to cheer about in general, so maybe they are just trying to cheer then as opposed to when things go wrong which is more and more.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to be able to blame our fans, and in this case, it would be legitimate.  It's just that the fans at least showed up; the coaches never quite made it.

I think the funniest moment was when we were trying to convert 4th and short (or 3rd and short?) and the cheerleaders got in a pyramid holding up "GET LOUD!" signs. 

This really needs to be addressed

Edited by KingDL1

I think the funniest moment was when we were trying to convert 4th and short (or 3rd and short?) and the cheerleaders got in a pyramid holding up "GET LOUD!" signs. 

Wouldn't it be helpful (and fairly easy) to have one of our GAs go sit down with the Cheer squad and help them to understand these very simple concepts?

I thought it was hilarious that there were tons of fans around the lower part of section 122 yelling at them to put the signs down and shut up, but I guess they thought they were doing a great job because the chicks were just smiling from ear to ear holding up their "make some noise!" signs.

• Upvote 1

You make crowd noise to hurt the team on offense, hopefully forcing them to go to a silent count.  If the team on offense is your team, then you shouldn't try to hurt them.

I'm well aware of the ramifications of crowd noise on the offense and I could care less. I've been to UNT games where you could hear crickets in the stadium because no one went to the games. If UNT fans, who obviously aren't going to have a lot to cheer for this season, want to scream all day then I say let them. As a player you'd rather have cheering fans than dull fans.