UNT will determine COA stipends soon

Harry

Full ride scholarship players are the ones that this new CoA is designed to benefit, no? These same full ride scholarship players are given just that, the full ride. Meal plan, room, a sweet cafeteria, free books, free tuition, free tutors, study halls designated specifically for them, free UNT apparel, entertainment centers tapped out to the max (not entirely tapped out at UNT, but my God look at other places), traveling expenses for the family of players to travel to bowl games and who knows what other amount of incentives tied to the "free ride." IF they are sitting at their own off campus apartment then THEY are the ones that need to get over themselves. No one is too good to live on campus for 4 years. 21 year olds don't rate anything except for what they have earned in an actual real world job. Again, these players don't have to be here. Every last one of them are replaceable. If they didn't like the previous CoA standards in place, piss off and don't play. These guys act like they are Chinese slaves destined to have the Great Wall as their burial ground. No one forces them to play football. No one. And you have the audacity to tell me to get over myself. Cute. 

yeah DAMN those kids who are getting a "free ride" you're such a tool.  I bet you wouldn't say that to Marcus Trice face, or any other UNT player current or former.

These kids (young men) bust their ass everyday, if it is deemed that they need to receive extra help then so be it. That's like saying, hey Ben, I know you work (you probably bitch about that too), and we know you've been coming up short on money but we aren't authorizing you for a loan or pay raise or whatever the hell you want to call it. These kids have ZERO way to make money outside of a tiny window during the summer. How exactly do you expect said kid to pay for things of his own? I'm sure you ate every single meal on campus. You should do everyone a favor and just keep stuff to yourself. You sound more and more foolish every time you talk.  How do you propose these people get themselves back and forth during holidays or vacation off time with no money?  Never mind, according to you they don't deserve to see their families because they chose to receive a scholarship for their athletic and academic ability. No family time either. Got it! 

• Upvote 4

Full ride scholarship players are the ones that this new CoA is designed to benefit, no? These same full ride scholarship players are given just that, the full ride. Meal plan, room, a sweet cafeteria, free books, free tuition, free tutors, study halls designated specifically for them, free UNT apparel, entertainment centers tapped out to the max (not entirely tapped out at UNT, but my God look at other places), traveling expenses for the family of players to travel to bowl games and who knows what other amount of incentives tied to the "free ride." IF they are sitting at their own off campus apartment then THEY are the ones that need to get over themselves. No one is too good to live on campus for 4 years. 21 year olds don't rate anything except for what they have earned in an actual real world job. Again, these players don't have to be here. Every last one of them are replaceable. If they didn't like the previous CoA standards in place, piss off and don't play. These guys act like they are Chinese slaves destined to have the Great Wall as their burial ground. No one forces them to play football. No one. And you have the audacity to tell me to get over myself. Cute. 

I was almost going to like this post, then it got weird and dark.

The stipends are not to help the "poor" student athlete, they are just the newest recruiting tool to keep pace with the rest of college football, and a tool to beat back future lawsuits over licensing rights.

Maybe it's just time to pull our heads out of the sand and realize a vast majority of college students as well as student athletes really struggle to make ends meet. We were all there. The difference between student, and student-athlete, when student is done with classes etc they have the option to go work and make some $. Student athletes entire day is taken up usually from around 7:30-8/9 at night during season.  You can call it what you want, entitlement is not anywhere on my radar. These kids bust their ass to represent our university in the best way they can. I'm all for taking away one stress on them. Hell, just go look and Byrds old tweets they used to ask if anyone had food bc their fridge had nothing left and their checks hadn't come in yet. Is that how you want our athletes treated? Not eating or eating crap and expecting them to perform? I find that to be ludacris. 

Why? Because they are kids and can't budget?  Come on...I am calling BS on that empty frig crap....as an undergrad my frig was pretty damn empty quite a bit of time and the only check I had coming in was from my part time job.  They get a stipend already...if you can't budget...gee...go over to a friend's  and grab some chow.  I did..and my friend did at my place when his was running low.  Sounds like college to me.  Hey...news flash...you that poor?  Stay in the dorm and eat in the dorm.  Or, Learn some budgeting skills and use your more disposable money that many other college undergrads in a better manner...or try roommates or and extra roomie.  You know...sort of like regular college students.  

Not having to pay for college would sure have taken some stress off me...poor little guys...so stressed by that extra academic help they get, help registering for classes, getting a stipend already...yep...damn stressful.  News flash...don't play if it is so stressful and try your hand at paying for college...want some stress?  Try that buckaroo!  

Yes, they work very hard.  And, they get quite a payoff for all that hard work.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I find it strange that this angst didn't exist when the NCAA, schools, conferences, coaches, athletic directors, media conglomerates,  sponsors, construction companies, security companies, staffing companies, vendors, etc made money... it wasn't wrong until the players wants to make some?

So in this billion dollar industry the only people not supposed to make money are the people risking their bodies for the entertainment value?

Why do this not apply to anyone else?  How do you think this would fly:  "Hey RV, this is an amateur sport and its played by student athletes so instead of paying you $300k, we're going to give you free tuition and meals... perfect time to get that masters degree!"

OR

"Hey NCAA, this is an amateur sport and its played by student athletes so instead of paying you hundreds of millions in broadcast rights, we're going to donate a nice sum to the charity of your choice, how about Médecins Sans Frontières?

Of course that is all unthinkable, but for some reason if Jamario Thomas had made a couple thousand a year for this it would have meant the end of Western Civilization?

I don't get it.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

yeah DAMN those kids who are getting a "free ride" you're such a tool.  I bet you wouldn't say that to Marcus Trice face, or any other UNT player current or former.

These kids (young men) bust their ass everyday, if it is deemed that they need to receive extra help then so be it. That's like saying, hey Ben, I know you work (you probably bitch about that too), and we know you've been coming up short on money but we aren't authorizing you for a loan or pay raise or whatever the hell you want to call it. These kids have ZERO way to make money outside of a tiny window during the summer. How exactly do you expect said kid to pay for things of his own? I'm sure you ate every single meal on campus. You should do everyone a favor and just keep stuff to yourself. You sound more and more foolish every time you talk.  How do you propose these people get themselves back and forth during holidays or vacation off time with no money?  Never mind, according to you they don't deserve to see their families because they chose to receive a scholarship for their athletic and academic ability. No family time either. Got it! 

Well damn dude, how do all of those other college students figure the shit out while having no meal plan afforded, no free place to live, no free tuition, no free AC/heat, no free books, no free tutors, no car, no money and a shit job (if they're lucky) which is equivalent to jack shit because all of them are broke, hungry and damn near can't afford to go home, ever. But, but, but these poor athletes. 

And how do I propose they pay for things? Well, the same fucking way the athletes did it the 100 YEARS before them. That's how. 

As for not saying something to one of them? Why would I? They didn't create this godawful system. However, if they needed to hear something I would say whatever I needed to. I'm not your stereotypical music/art major weasel like you apparently believe. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

"College athletes are not like all other students. They’re just not.

Student-athletes are brought in under special circumstances, provided special housing, special meal plans and special tutors. They are representing the universities they play for."

Exactly, they are provided this. And now the system is throwing more at them. We are going to get left in the dust in the grand scheme of things. I understand we're struggling to get a real seat at the real table as is, but this whole fiasco all but solidifies that it will never happen, ever. 

I get that these guys need a little throw around money, but other programs are opening the bid at 5k. That's just for starters, but imagine 10 years from now. Players use to be kind of hesitant to decommit from us for the likes of Tech, Colorado, IA St., Indiana etc. This all but ensures we will NEVER get any of those players, ever again. Unless a kid just doesn't like having more money compared to having less money. That's my whole ordeal with this. The system is officially putting us (G5's) under their thumb and slowly pushing down. And to my disbelief, there are people on here that are OK with it. If the NCAA came out and said, "baseline pay for all athletes across the board at $1800" I wouldn't blink an eye because that is keeping it at a reasonable price without allowing a far fetched competitive advantage.    

Well damn dude, how do all of those other college students figure the shit out while having no meal plan afforded, no free place to live, no free tuition, no free AC/heat, no free books, no free tutors, no car, no money and a shit job (if they're lucky) which is equivalent to jack shit because all of them are broke, hungry and damn near can't afford to go home, ever. But, but, but these poor athletes. 

And how do I propose they pay for things? Well, the same fucking way the athletes did it the 100 YEARS before them. That's how. 

As for not saying something to one of them? Why would I? They didn't create this godawful system. However, if they needed to hear something I would say whatever I needed to. I'm not your stereotypical music/art major weasel like you apparently believe. 

Yes, everything is free; if you don't count the thousands of hours put in to play college athletics.  I don't like the stipend either, because it is just another thing that is going to make it harder for most universities to field  competitive teams.  However, this athlete should be happy with what they get argument is inane. Yes, the hc's should be happy with the best breaking into 6 figure income, but I don't see a lot of outrage at football coaches making more than the whole scholarship amount for their entire teams. 

Meaning what?

That there are exceptions to everything perhaps, so......your point?

Still crap-ola and a pure entitlement mentality.  Scholarship worth thousands and thousands, graduating without much or any debt, being treated to special academic counseling that regular students do not get, receiving plenty of housing and free meals....that's not enough?  School needs to pay for tattoos, cell phones and dates now?

look...if you are in favor of this crap...good for you.  Your opinion and you are welcome to it.  For me...this is pure crap and a symptom of a much bigger problem within our great nation.

But, it is what it is....if you think this crap ends here, you are sadly mistaken.

I agree.  I just thought you needed a breathe of positive air.

Here is a link to a UNT website that shows the average annual cost of attendance, as provided by the university.  If I am reading it correctly, the COA figure should be roughly $3,100.  It will be interesting to see the final number that gets published.

http://financialaid.unt.edu/2015-2016-academic-year-traditional

That is interesting. I think the booming economy and rising housing market in North Texas could end up being an advantage and lead to a higher COA for our program. Here are the numbers of other Texas universities. I have arranged them in the current order of highest to lowest. At $3,100 UNT would be tied with UTEP, just behind Baylor. But It wouldn't surprise me if we came in a little higher.

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2015/06/a-look-at-the-financial-impact-of-additional-benefits-texas-colleges-will-be-able-to-provide-scholarship-athletes/#33649101=11

1. Texas Tech $5,100

2. TCU $4,700

3. Texas $4,310

4. Baylor $3,882

5. North Texas $3,100 (Projected based on your university numbers)

5. UTEP $3,100

7. Houston $2,994

8. Texas A&M $2,706

9. SMU $2,700

10. UTSA $2,500 (Projected)

Rice (TBD)

Texas State (?)

My point about the athletic scholarship approach vs student loans approach is that you have one group that, exchange for receiving an education, are required to participate in a sport for 4 - 5 years in exchange for getting the cost of their education mostly covered.  Indentured servitude

You have another group that, in exchange for receiving an education, are required to repay their student loans for an undetermined amount of years, for getting the cost of their education mostly covered.  Indentured servitude.

Like I said in an earlier post, I don't have a problem with the kids getting some additional money, but it sure seems like it will be the beginning of the end.  I agree that it is fool's gold to think we will somehow be able to keep up.  The governing body (NCAA) will have to increase subsidies (taxes) on the  P5 (rich) in order to allow the G5 (middle class) to conitnue the illusion of keeping up.  Or, the G5 could grow and backbone and stop spending their way to poverty in the hopes that the P5 might let us joint their club one day.  Until the day comes that the G5 says enough and goes their own way, they will always be at the mercy of the P5. 

And we know that the NCAA is basically controlled by the P5, so...

Edited by greenit
  • Upvote 1

Maybe it's just time to pull our heads out of the sand and realize a vast majority of college students as well as student athletes really struggle to make ends meet. We were all there. The difference between student, and student-athlete, when student is done with classes etc they have the option to go work and make some $. Student athletes entire day is taken up usually from around 7:30-8/9 at night during season.  You can call it what you want, entitlement is not anywhere on my radar. These kids bust their ass to represent our university in the best way they can. I'm all for taking away one stress on them. Hell, just go look and Byrds old tweets they used to ask if anyone had food bc their fridge had nothing left and their checks hadn't come in yet. Is that how you want our athletes treated? Not eating or eating crap and expecting them to perform? I find that to be ludacris. 

On on the flip side, I think the first time something is reported or found out as that money isn't going to the appropriate cause there should be penalties and maybe loss of a portion of it, if it happens a second time no money for a year, a third time and you don't get anymore money. I also loved someone post about violations and under the table money those SEC schools love to do, they should crank up the heat and drop the hammer on those schools. Take 6 hours of practice a week away, take 10 scholarships away. 

Drama Queen much? College isn't supposed to be easy. The life lessons learned by, I don't know, working a job in the offseason and saving money to have during the season just aren't that important, eh? 

True, regular students may be able to work more, but then again they aren't getting FREE TUITION! Something you must have forgotten. 

This is has nothing to do with "providing for" athletes and everything to do with starting a salary system that can be increased once the media accepts it. The P5 will then use it to drive G5s to drop a level and thus make sure the P5 gets every crumb of the college pie.

Those who buy the crap that this is about college athletes finally getting what is coming to them are falling for this BS hook, line, and sinker.

Yes, athletes will eventually end up getting paid, but only athletes that play for P5 programs. So what you are clamoring for will end up hurting the majority of college athletes. G5s will lose support, they will drop down to FCS (who offer less scholarships) or they will form an in between sub division that will no doubt offer less scholarships.

Sure, it's great for the super athlete who will get paid, but what about the low income athlete that is a marginal talent? He not only doesn't get paid, but doesn't get the opportunity to go to college.

But, by all means, keep on believing this is about the injustice done to the college athlete. While you are at it, you ought to just go ahead and purchase season tickets for UT football, because that is who you are ultimately supporting with this opinion.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Drama Queen much? College isn't supposed to be easy. The life lessons learned by, I don't know, working a job in the offseason and saving money to have during the season just aren't that important, eh? 

True, regular students may be able to work more, but then again they aren't getting FREE TUITION! Something you must have forgotten. 

This is has nothing to do with "providing for" athletes and everything to do with starting a salary system that can be increased once the media accepts it. The P5 will then use it to drive G5s to drop a level and thus make sure the P5 gets every crumb of the college pie.

Those who buy the crap that this is about college athletes finally getting what is coming to them are falling for this BS hook, line, and sinker.

Yes, athletes will eventually end up getting paid, but only athletes that play for P5 programs. So what you are clamoring for will end up hurting the majority of college athletes. G5s will lose support, they will drop down to FCS (who offer less scholarships) or they will form an in between sub division that will no doubt offer less scholarships.

Sure, it's great for the super athlete who will get paid, but what about the low income athlete that is a marginal talent? He not only doesn't get paid, but doesn't get the opportunity to go to college.

But, by all means, keep on believing this is about the injustice done to the college athlete. While you are at it, you ought to just go ahead and purchase season tickets for UT football, because that is who you are ultimately supporting with this opinion.

no, I support OUR kids, all athletes. That's some crazy talk. Are there any other conspiracy theories you believe? Come on man. Maybe it's different for me, I've personally had friends make it big time D1 schools, and small time D1 or D2. I've seen some that were from money and some not at all. They struggled sure, but when mom and dad can pay to put you on a flight to come home, or fly up and visit at the drop of a hat, it's a little different when the only time you're seeing them is the RARE chance you have to work and save up enough to get home. That's not what college, or college sports are about. ( bla bla bla it's about $ bla bla bla) yeah I know it's an industry no doubt, but for crying out loud, it's 3-6 grand a year they're not getting rich nor will they ever.  I can't see where all the negative is, should there be a level this is your COA stipend? No, it's not the same in LA as it is in Eugene, as Idaho, as Denton, as Aimes! It's going to be different it's ok. You are going to compare a student to student athlete? 

Student- works to pay for school, or takes out loans, or both

student athlete- gets full ride, spends entire day in class or at practice, does HW late at night in the academic center, no opportunity at all to work for the majority of the year. 

no, I support OUR kids, all athletes. That's some crazy talk. Are there any other conspiracy theories you believe? Come on man. Maybe it's different for me, I've personally had friends make it big time D1 schools, and small time D1 or D2. I've seen some that were from money and some not at all. They struggled sure, but when mom and dad can pay to put you on a flight to come home, or fly up and visit at the drop of a hat, it's a little different when the only time you're seeing them is the RARE chance you have to work and save up enough to get home. That's not what college, or college sports are about. ( bla bla bla it's about $ bla bla bla) yeah I know it's an industry no doubt, but for crying out loud, it's 3-6 grand a year they're not getting rich nor will they ever.  I can't see where all the negative is, should there be a level this is your COA stipend? No, it's not the same in LA as it is in Eugene, as Idaho, as Denton, as Aimes! It's going to be different it's ok. You are going to compare a student to student athlete? 

Student- works to pay for school, or takes out loans, or both

student athlete- gets full ride, spends entire day in class or at practice, does HW late at night in the academic center, no opportunity at all to work for the majority of the year. 

So non-sensical. Let's take football. Spring practice for a month. Let's say April. Fall practice starts, what, second seek of August. School is out mid May. 

That leaves half of May, all of June, and all of July to work. And if they take care of their business, they don't have to attend summer semester. 

Not to mention all of December for non-bowl schools, and then January, February, and March. 

So, for god sakes, please stop telling us how hard those receiving a free education have it. It's complete BS, and you know it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they still take 1 class per summer session, and they also have minimum ammount of study hall time they must meet each week inside the academic center. You can chose to believe these guys don't do a damn thing but walk to class, go home sit on their rear, go to football, go home and do nothing choosing not to work.  I know this is not the truth but to each their own I suppose. 

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they still take 1 class per summer session, and they also have minimum ammount of study hall time they must meet each week inside the academic center. You can chose to believe these guys don't do a damn thing but walk to class, go home sit on their rear, go to football, go home and do nothing choosing not to work.  I know this is not the truth but to each their own I suppose. 

Oh, wow, one whole class? Psh..geez..who knew. I'll lay off, now. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Haha yeah... One whole class, plus their 3 hour workouts, then homework, you want them to work after that right? So they work a night shift, when you want them to recover? No, ok wel then when we get to game 4 and their bodies have fallen apart because their has been no recovery you will blame the Strength coach for doing a terrible job and want to fire him to. Come on man, use your brain. 

I find it strange that this angst didn't exist when the NCAA, schools, conferences, coaches, athletic directors, media conglomerates,  sponsors, construction companies, security companies, staffing companies, vendors, etc made money... it wasn't wrong until the players wants to make some?

So in this billion dollar industry the only people not supposed to make money are the people risking their bodies for the entertainment value?

Why do this not apply to anyone else?  How do you think this would fly:  "Hey RV, this is an amateur sport and its played by student athletes so instead of paying you $300k, we're going to give you free tuition and meals... perfect time to get that masters degree!"

OR

"Hey NCAA, this is an amateur sport and its played by student athletes so instead of paying you hundreds of millions in broadcast rights, we're going to donate a nice sum to the charity of your choice, how about Médecins Sans Frontières?

Of course that is all unthinkable, but for some reason if Jamario Thomas had made a couple thousand a year for this it would have meant the end of Western Civilization?

I don't get it.

shhhhh you're making good points. 

I actually think it's a good thing for the student athletes. It's a full time job and you aren't allowed to work. If your parents don't give you cash you can't even fly home on holidays, forget fast food, or much less taking a girl on a date. Meanwhile, especially in P5 everyone else is getting rich while the kids can't afford Arby's. It's not the end of the world for these players to get spending money. It sure as hell isn't the end of college football. 

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2

not what I said. At all. 

Last year of college I worked 40 hours a week and took a full load of classes. So cry me a river. These guys have plenty of free time on their hands to make money if they want. 

I don't feel sorry for someone getting a free education by playing a sport they love to play.

• Upvote 1