And it’s on to spring practice

Harry

Vito knows who posts here regularly and who doesn't. It was pure "I'm smarter than you guys because I have a journalist degree" snark mixed with jealousy from getting scooped by Silver in athe QB situation last year.

But it probably generated page hits, so...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So I'll take the backhanded slaps and condescending remarks as they come because I understand he has a difficult job and does as best he can with what he's allowed to work with.

Rick

I would take it in stride if what he wrote was a post was on gmg.com. In fact as I was reading it, it sounded like a forum post. It's another thing to misrepresent people's observations and shut em down (indirectly) and publish on the DRC (re: Shanbour and RBs).

But I guess being a "blog" kind of makes it more acceptable since it makes room for opinion vs an article in the paper? But just being able to discuss things would be fun. I love debating (and backing it up, of course). Otherwise, what's the point of using social media to let readers know about your thoughts if you won't hear theirs?

I don't think what he said was inaccurate tbh, but the material could have been researched more accurately.

And it's obvious he skims through this so I mean it with all due respect. I check his blog every morning, and it would be fun to talk with an insider about what a lot of people don't want to talk about in the region: North Texas football.

Rick does hold a very valid point. Vito can't really ask questions with his pen blazing. The atmosphere is country club-esque. Ask the wrong question (which he apparently already did years ago) all they will do is throw you scraps and nothing more. There will be no tough questions at the UNT athletic complex and there sure as hell will be no criticism, ever, especially from "outsiders." It will be the demise of McCarney's career and he doesn't even know it.

• Downvote 1

Rick does hold a very valid point. Vito can't really ask questions with his pen blazing. The atmosphere is country club-esque. Ask the wrong question (which he apparently already did years ago) all they will do is throw you scraps and nothing more. There will be no tough questions at the UNT athletic complex and there sure as hell will be no criticism, ever, especially from "outsiders." It will be the demise of McCarney's career and he doesn't even know it.

That's fair and it sucks he has to deal with that, but that's not what we're getting butt hurt about here.

That's fair and it sucks he has to deal with that, but that's not what we're getting butt hurt about here.

Oh no doubt. I've been complaining about Vito's backhands for awhile now. He can't help himself bc of already said reason within the athletic department (they apparently give him little to nothing) and maybe just his writing style, condescending.
  • Downvote 1

vito said from the very beginning we were going to miss DT. yes, he has a man crush on him, but i pretty much took it as our Qbs did not look good.

i posted that saying we would miss DT, is saying our qbs would be below average and they suck. he did not change his stance and he came right back and said we would miss DT again, so i took it as that. they sucked.

vito is repetitive and does not give us a lot of new info. im not sure if i consider him the beat writer. he also posts negative stories when guys get in trouble. beat writers for a team are usually homers and have access to good info. im sure in most cases, they get something in return from the team. im not sure if this fanbase and school is even big time enough for a beat writer. i consider vito just a local sports guy.

one thing that vito has stepped up was his coverage of the recruits. whether its to get hits or get info nobody has, it helps UNT look more like it cares about athletics. recruits and parents are on the internet a lot, and it helps to have an article from a UNT source. good job on that this past year.

Just my opinion here.

I don't agree with everything Brett writes, the condescension and all. And I'd like to see him ask real questions about important issues that holds the AD Dept's feet to the fire across several issues we're all aware of.

But you gotta remember, ever since he pointed it out that, despite coming off back to back conference championships Dickey's assistants were still the lowest paid in the Sunbelt,...this athletic department has despised the man. And considering how far they went to discredit him with Dodge, it's probably happened with Mac, Benny and all the rest too making it as difficult as possible for him to do his job?

So I'll take the backhanded slaps and condescending remarks as they come because I understand he has a difficult job and does as best he can with what he's allowed to work with.

Rick

I don't think Vito's stories on "Is Dodge a Racist?" helped matters either.

• Upvote 1

I don't think Vito's stories on "Is Dodge a Racist?" helped matters either.

The race baiters instigated that story by going to the TV news. Brett had no choice in the matter other than to report that.

What was sorry was the DRC not printing the follow up that it was a baseless accusation on their front page. But that's how papers work and Brett has zero control over that.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Would you call Patton's love of uni's "girlie"? This is his design for a Tank commander's uniform.

post-5-1234887787.jpg

No, I find your analysis of his uniform design girlie.

So would Patton.

I find you asking my opinion of Patton's design super girlie.

Edited by UNT90

No, I find your analysis of his uniform design girlie.

So would Patton.

I find you asking my opinion of Patton's design super girlie.

Reading comprehension please. I didn't do any sort of analysis. I just showed you his uni design photo and asked if you would call him girlie for taking the time to design one. Make that "call him girlie" to his face"?.......... B)

Only girlie people twist other people's words for their own benefit........ :P

I'm quite sure Patton never used the phrase "Uniform design" and his "uniform" was made out of what he had available in the most practical way possible.

And that is very manly.

In the movie "Patton" George C. Scott said "I once designed a uniform".

Ninth sentence on this page.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Z1qIPXNUJFoC&pg=PA99&lpg=PA99&dq=General+Patton+talking+about+his+tank+commander+uniform+design&source=bl&ots=2zScFHQrCz&sig=1-wy-tUjhkbiPq73nPqtbS5YsEo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ZFADVffhG8OYgwSPg4TwBw&ved=0CFYQ6AEwDA#v=onepage&q=General%20Patton%20talking%20about%20his%20tank%20commander%20uniform%20design&f=false

His peers didn't call him "girlie" for designing a uni......just the "green hornet".

Edited by SilverEagle

Let's be clear here, no one's saying he "sucks". He does put in a lot of work for us. I'm not going to stop reading his blog. The recruiting series is awesome. It's just the times he addresses the fanbase directly can sometimes be construed as pedantic, and several comments in this specific article was a collection of one-too-many.

dawson_crying.jpg

• Upvote 2