And it’s on to spring practice

Harry

Basketball season is officially over at least for UNT.

And that means its on to the next period on the Mean Green sports calendar that people care about spring football practice.

UNT got a couple of workouts in while I was covering the Mean Greens short stay in Birmingham that ended with a blowout loss for mens team at the hands of Rice. Louisiana Tech just beat the Owls, by the way.

So what will I be looking for when I get out there? Here are a couple of items of interest, but first, a public service announcement

- See more at: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/03/and-its-on-to-spring-practice-what-ill-be-looking-for.html/#sthash.XqJ2y2Sp.dpuf

It's always amusing to see Vito spend so many words to try and discredit the opinion of individuals on this board.

And yet Silver was the one who warned us about Greer, not Vito.

Amusing.

In fairness, Silver probably watched more Spring practice than Vito.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Wow Vito. Running backs, really? We had a very good group of running backs last year. Maybe we weren't ranked as highly in conference rushing but Jimmerson averaged 4.9yds per carry this year while Cobbs had 5.0 in '05. Both had bad qb play to deal with. Jimmerson got half the carries Cobbs got. I'm certain Jimmerson could've had 1,000 yards this season if we didn't have so many good backs to distribute the ball to.

• Upvote 1

It's his weekly slap to the face to GMG. It's as if he can't help himself. What's even funnier than that is he uses this site in an attempt to validate a ton of his articles, a ton.

Shanbour "fan darling?" Really? 2-3 people commented on his arm strength and he's all of sudden Prince Charming? He will never see the light of day whether he deserves it or not. Bc if he did it would make QB evaluation look worse than it already does...which I'm not sure is possible.

• Upvote 3

The group here probably makes up a significant percentage of his blog readers outside of Denton.

Writing articles in a way to create some controversy isn't exactly a new idea in sports. Randy Galloway did it in almost every article. Black Sharrod did it a often. Tim Callishaw and Skip Brainless continue the tradition. Vito is following a very successful and well proven system.

Writing articles in a way to create some controversy isn't exactly a new idea in sports. Randy Galloway did it in almost every article. Black Sharrod did it a often. Tim Callishaw and Skip Brainless continue the tradition. Vito is following a very successful and well proven system.

His article didn't really contain controversy. It was more insulting to basketball, softball, spring soccer, and any other spring practices/sports.

Then he goes on to cherry pick comments and speak condescendingly.

I started reading his blog for his news reports, but he doesn't provide much new content. Or analysis. There's sooooo many things to talk about spring football, unit by unit (LBs, safeties, corners, etc etc). I'd rather just wait on Dave Campbell stuff or sbnation stuff.

The amount of rehashing is just tiresome, I need something more engaging to read now.

• Upvote 2

Just my opinion here.

I don't agree with everything Brett writes, the condescension and all. And I'd like to see him ask real questions about important issues that holds the AD Dept's feet to the fire across several issues we're all aware of.

But you gotta remember, ever since he pointed it out that, despite coming off back to back conference championships Dickey's assistants were still the lowest paid in the Sunbelt,...this athletic department has despised the man. And considering how far they went to discredit him with Dodge, it's probably happened with Mac, Benny and all the rest too making it as difficult as possible for him to do his job?

So I'll take the backhanded slaps and condescending remarks as they come because I understand he has a difficult job and does as best he can with what he's allowed to work with.

Rick

• Upvote 4

Just out of curiosity, who said last year's group of RBs would be our best ever? I remember some marveling at the depth, and that was true enough.

I think that was me. But I didn't say the group was the best ever, I said (with the qualifier "if everyone comes back healthy in the fall") it looked like it could be the deepest ever. AND after GrayEagle watched Jamaine Wilhite rip off a couple of 7+ yard runs in the spring game, he turned to his wife and said "just think, he's around the 7th string RB out there".

We had...

Pegram

Jimmerson

Evans

Rollins

Tucker

Ivory

Wilhite

(Wilson and Ezzard arrived in the fall.)

Once again, my point was that based on what I was seeing in the spring 2014 we could have had a rash of injuries during the 2014 season and still have had some viable threats in our running game. Something that I haven't seen (numbers wise) in just about ever.

And finally, I wonder why the coaching staff didn't see the necessity of signing a RB in this years class? Could it be that the coaching staff assesses the RB situation the same as me?

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2

It's his weekly slap to the face to GMG. It's as if he can't help himself. What's even funnier than that is he uses this site in an attempt to validate a ton of his articles, a ton.

Shanbour "fan darling?" Really? 2-3 people commented on his arm strength and he's all of sudden Prince Charming? He will never see the light of day whether he deserves it or not. Bc if he did it would make QB evaluation look worse than it already does...which I'm not sure is possible.

Thank you. Just because 2-3 people make a comment about his release/throwing abilities independent of one another, doesn't mean everyone regards him as the second coming of Scott Hall or Mitch Maher or Scott Davis or Jordan Case or Steve Ramsey (have I covered most generations?). Although it would be nice.

As much as I appreciate an outsider like "Eddie from Arkansas" adding to the discussion, his love letter to Mr. Shanbour seems to have skewed the discussion somewhat, and given Vito the wrong impression and ammunition to be condescending to the fan base.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1