Poll: Which Team Should Replace UAB?

Mean Green 93-98

My vote goes to Missouri State...they are FCS right now, but could move up...they have a good market and their basketball is good. They'd have to upgrade their stadium. They have an enrollment of about 30,000, I think.

My vote goes to Missouri State...they are FCS right now, but could move up...they have a good market and their basketball is good. They'd have to upgrade their stadium. They have an enrollment of about 30,000, I think.

I went ahead and added them, so you can vote for them. I also added Ohio.

My choices would be:

1. NIU - I know it's a long shot, but as I and others (including MeanGreenTexan, I think) have mentioned, they bring the Chicago market and immediate football credibility. They are the crown jewel of the MAC, and they would immediately be one of the crown jewels of C-USA, if not the crown jewel.

2. Ohio - Another solid MAC team. They wouldn't be nearly the coup that NIU would be, but they'd probably be better than any of the other additions under consideration. They have a history with Marshall. And poaching a MAC school would establish C-USA's pecking order ahead of the MAC. In the perception of many (most?), the MAC is now ahead of C-USA.

3. Arky State - This is kind of a selfish pick, as I would personally benefit from having a conference opponent only about 2 1/2 hours away from me. But they'd be a good add as well--they're better than at least half of C-USA as far as commitment to athletics and on-the-field performance. The only thing they really lack is TV market, and that always struck me as a dumb criterion anyway.

4. ULL - Everything that goes for Arky State goes at least as much for ULL (except they are a "fur piece" from me). Good fan following. Although I wonder what will happen to them when/if Hud leaves. Arky State has shown an ability to weather coaching changes that I don't know that ULL can. Of course, Hud may retire at ULL, making it a moot point.

5. Texas State - That's a very distant 5th. I would have vastly preferred them over UTSA; but the fact is we have UTSA now, and having both teams is somewhat redundant. Although I'm sure they would have a great rivalry with each other.

Oh, and whichever option it ends up being--kick out FIU anyway. :)

I went ahead and added them, so you can vote for them. I also added Ohio.

My choices would be:

1. NIU - I know it's a long shot, but as I and others (including MeanGreenTexan, I think) have mentioned, they bring the Chicago market and immediate football credibility. They are the crown jewel of the MAC, and they would immediately be one of the crown jewels of C-USA, if not the crown jewel.

2. Ohio - Another solid MAC team. They wouldn't be nearly the coup that NIU would be, but they'd probably be better than any of the other additions under consideration. They have a history with Marshall. And poaching a MAC school would establish C-USA's pecking order ahead of the MAC. In the perception of many (most?), the MAC is now ahead of C-USA.

3. Arky State - This is kind of a selfish pick, as I would personally benefit from having a conference opponent only about 2 1/2 hours away from me. But they'd be a good add as well--they're better than at least half of C-USA as far as commitment to athletics and on-the-field performance. The only thing they really lack is TV market, and that always struck me as a dumb criterion anyway.

4. ULL - Everything that goes for Arky State goes at least as much for ULL (except they are a "fur piece" from me). Good fan following. Although I wonder what will happen to them when/if Hud leaves. Arky State has shown an ability to weather coaching changes that I don't know that ULL can. Of course, Hud may retire at ULL, making it a moot point.

5. Texas State - That's a very distant 5th. I would have vastly preferred them over UTSA; but the fact is we have UTSA now, and having both teams is somewhat redundant. Although I'm sure they would have a great rivalry with each other.

Oh, and whichever option it ends up being--kick out FIU anyway. :)

Yessir.

Would be a no-brainer if they're interested.

• Upvote 1

Let me tell you the non starters:

TexSt: I would like to have them in the same conference, and it would get SBC football out of Texas. However, I think the eastern schools would balk at having a five Texas voting bloc, especially with the conference HQ already in Irving.

NMSU: UTEP would fight them tooth and nail. Long term this would in effect be a UTEP for NMSU swap.

Liberty: The votes are cast by the university presidents. No way they vote to be associated with them. Look beyond creationism. No tenure. The president doesn't have a PHD. It's in effect a giant diploma mill.

Ohio: My understanding is the reason Akron and NIU are looking to leave is because they want to increase athletics spending, while there is a movement in the MAC to place a cap on spending. Ohio is one of the proponents of the cap.

I also think the Georgia teams have some serious issues and have little chance, but they aren't flat out no goes yet.

• Upvote 1

They're joining the AAC next year. . . . Not an option.

Added. I'm not sure it's realistic, but we have a couple options already that are probably not within the realm of reality, so it's all good.

I hope this doesn't happen, as it would most certainly lead to another 5 game home season in

You know, with the confusion that this would cause a certain AD and all...

I don't get this boards obsession with ULl. No one has heard of them. I realize must haven't heard of unt, but if we have options let's go after a bigger fish 1st.

Northern ill, Army, Or Ohio would be much better.

Edited by mgfan