Poll: Which Team Should Replace UAB?

Mean Green 93-98

As a reminder, for whatever reason, at the time CUSA added WKU the commissioner had mentioned that the next two on the list were WKU and NMSU. Not sure if anything has changed since that statement. From an academic standpoint, NMSU is much more attractive that the some of the other schools that seem to be getting some support (ULL, TXST).

UAB is considered a tier 1 university and so is NMSU according to US News & World Report Rankings. I would not underestimate the impact that the academic profile of any potential replacement will play.

It should be interesting to see how it plays out.

• Upvote 1

As a reminder, for whatever reason, at the time CUSA added WKU the commissioner had mentioned that the next two on the list were WKU and NMSU. Not sure if anything has changed since that statement. From an academic standpoint, NMSU is much more attractive that the some of the other schools that seem to be getting some support (ULL, TXST).

UAB is considered a tier 1 university and so is NMSU according to US News & World Report Rankings. I would not underestimate the impact that the academic profile of any potential replacement will play.

It should be interesting to see how it plays out.

NMSU is an interesting case. Arkstfan pointed this out a couple years ago: the last few conferences that invited NMSU to join only did so because they had no other choice. The Belt wanted 12 and thought inviting NMSU could get them there before WKY left. The WAC wanted US, not NMSU or Idaho. Actually, the WAC wanted ANYONE except Idaho and NMSU but that was all they could get. The Sunbelt needed football members and had to take anyone who would come along. They were invited to the The Big West after it lost members to the WAC. And before that they were invited to the Missouri Valley while it was collapsing as a football conference to plug holes from teams leaving.

If CUSA invites them, CUSA will be the first conference with other choices to invite NMSU into membership in fifty years!

I don't see how Army couldn't be at the top of this vote. They are a college football staple. It's a great institution on all fronts. Totally classy organization with great history and respected by everyone.

I might have picked Army first if they hadn't been added to the poll later. But it's probably the least realistic add on the poll. If they were to join a conference, it would be at least AAC, with Navy and their former conference mates.

5. (Navy)

They're joining the AAC next year. . . . Not an option.

Added. I'm not sure it's realistic, but we have a couple options already that are probably not within the realm of reality, so it's all good.

Besides it being unlikely that Navy would prefer CUSA over AAC, Navy is joining as a football only member. Unless CUSA could convince them to leave the Patriot Conference where they've had their non-Football sports for over 20 years or unless CUSA changes their rules about all sports members, Navy is not an option.

Same is true for Army.

NMSU is an interesting case. Arkstfan pointed this out a couple years ago: the last few conferences that invited NMSU to join only did so because they had no other choice. The Belt wanted 12 and thought inviting NMSU could get them there before WKY left. The WAC wanted US, not NMSU or Idaho. Actually, the WAC wanted ANYONE except Idaho and NMSU but that was all they could get. The Sunbelt needed football members and had to take anyone who would come along. They were invited to the The Big West after it lost members to the WAC. And before that they were invited to the Missouri Valley while it was collapsing as a football conference to plug holes from teams leaving.

If CUSA invites them, CUSA will be the first conference with other choices to invite NMSU into membership in fifty years!

Yeah their league history is something to behold.

Border Conference - collapsed when top members left to form WAC. NMSU left behind.

Missouri Valley - Was down to five teams and joined with West Texas left when Valley was bumped from I-A.

Big West - collapsed after numerous WAC raids.

Sun Belt - left for WAC.

WAC - collapsed as a football league.

When looking at teams, I hope that people aren't actually considering the "tailgate scene". Prestige and relevance should be at the top. NO FCS TEAMS OR SUNBELT TEAMS.

ULL has a pretty good program. Are they national darlings? No, but they are a step up from UAB and a helluva road trip' from what I've heard.

Its a bit naive to think location and game day experience don't matter, including tailgating.