MGB: UNT adds one to football sked

Brett Vito

If we make this a home and home we could take a day trip to Vancouver!

Also, C&TV would love the trip to Washington because of ... you know... consumables.

Pot is legal in Oregon now.

Went to Portland this summer and stayed near their campus. Love the city and they have a cool campus - but this is a lame game.

• Upvote 1

so how much are we paying for this opponent, another $300-400K?

Telling us we could not get an FBS opponent? Are opposing OOC coaches scared to face the juggernaut coach DMac. Why not schedule a SWAC school, has worked out well for Benny to get some wins to pad his resume and make RV feel good about the hire.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

ok.. so if we are going to begin going the route of 1 big money game and 1 small nothing school every year.... then that we would likely only net what $300,000? Maybe.... I feel like a good solid home and home schedule would cover that and then some because you actually increase your chances of beating an equal or greater than school which will build us an actual program.

the debbie downer in me says we will go 4-8 next year.

ok.. so if we are going to begin going the route of 1 big money game and 1 small nothing school every year.... then that we would likely only net what $300,000? Maybe.... I feel like a good solid home and home schedule would cover that and then some because you actually increase your chances of beating an equal or greater than school which will build us an actual program.

the debbie downer in me says we will go 4-8 next year.

Likely having Marshall and WKU instead of 2 * FxU and an improved SMU makes 4-8 iffy at best.

Now Mac has Benford'd the football schedule.

Maybe the Super-Secret MasterPlan is to have us returning to FCS.

This program has become Eastern Michigan. Good luck.

FCS is returning to us, no matter what we do. The P5s guaranteed that with their power grab earlier this year and with their conferences already mandating OOC games against other P5 schools for at least one game each year. They will be gone within 5 years, I have no doubt. Their media, legislatures, and money will make that happen.

As for us, we have pretty much always been what we are now--a school that has a football team because we are in Texas and too many people were gonna bitch about losing it back in the early 80s, so we dropped down to 1-aa. We figured out a way to move up to i-a in 1995, but we weren't even ready for that at all, on any level.

What will interest me the most is what kind of support a G5-FCS program will get in Denton since we will be playing current SBCUSAAC teams in conference, instead of small Texas universities at a time when the SWC was still royalty in college football. If well supported, we could do well as a program at that level. If not, a lot of old nestors are gonna get after those who ok'd the funds used on tuition and fees for a brand new football stadium...either way, it will be interesting to see.

RV: Now's the time to get onboard with NT football!!! We have a brand new stadium and club seats are the way to go!!

Potential Buyer: Awesome! But don't you play in the Sun Belt?

RV: No, we're in CUSA now. And with a new stadium we'll be bringing in teams that we could never get at Fouts.

Potential Buyer: Really? Like who?

RV: PORTLAND F'IN STATE!!!!

• Upvote 3

Considering we only won 3 home games against 1a opponents with a combined won/loss record of 7&29, I think we would be grateful for a creampuff at home since we are the creampuff on the road. What's Mac's away record[we were 0&6 this season], not counting money games like Texas.

Since 2012, we have hosted these teams for our fanbase to come and watch:

Texas Southern, Troy, Louisiana-Lafayatte, Arkansas State, South Alabama, Idaho, Ball State, Middle Tennessee, Rice, UTEP, UTSA, SMU, Louisiana Tech, Nicholls State, Southern Miss, Florida Atlantic, and Florida International. Now, for 2015, let's add Portland State to this illustrious list. If we get Old Dominion or Charlotte next year as a home game in conference play, that would just be the mayo on the cr@p sandwich we are being served.

But at least we have kick-ass tailgating...

• Upvote 1

RV: Now's the time to get onboard with NT football!!! We have a brand new stadium and club seats are the way to go!!

Potential Buyer: Awesome! But don't you play in the Sun Belt?

RV: No, we're in CUSA now. And with a new stadium we'll be bringing in teams that we could never get at Fouts.

Potential Buyer: Really? Like who?

RV: PORTLAND F'IN STATE!!!!

Remember when we got Kansas State in Fouts?

• Upvote 1

In the last four years at decrepit, toilet-bowl Fouts, we played Kansas State, Rice, Army, Ohio, Tulsa, and Navy...

$78 million dollars

We would have had Tulsa in Apogee this year but they left for a different conference. I don't want to go back and look but I thought we had a multi-game contract with them before we agreed to join CUSA. Army is on the agenda starting next year?