Mac said it well after the game

Harry

No reason NOT to see more of Wilson from here on out .. And where the heck is Evans.. I've seen enough of the veteran RB who can't stay on his feet for more than 2 yards at a time. It's all about the future from here on out

Agree 100%. Why have we wasted their freshman years? What have they gotten, 10 carries each the whole year?

• Upvote 2

Yet, everyone here killed

1. Desmon white : you'll never play at tcu have fun being a bench rider ( got in the game as true freshman even in garbage time)

2. Xavier Washington : have fun never seeing more than the number 3 spot on the depth chart, they stack players bla bla. I believe he is #2 and is in the rotation making lots of plays as a true freshman. Everyone take a rest. Every team has ups and downs particularly young ones.

This staff or someone on this staff can evaluate talent, my only real question about this staffs ability is qbs and I would like to know who is in charge of that. It's either Chico with macs stamp or Mac. Either way they deserve to answer hard questions about that in the off season to any big booster we have.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Ok folks, the coaching staff is not infallible but they clearly aren't totally inept either. Coach Mac obviously has not become Dickey but he did say one very Dickey-like thing while frustrated after a loss. He's also backed down at every chance while being realistic.

"Hard" to recruit is a relative thing. It's harder to recruit here to NT than many P5 schools. In a way, it's also harder to recruit to NT than a number of FCS schools because of our academic standards. But it's also easier in some ways to recruit to NT if the student - yes, they are students first - is looking for something we have. Also, we have a school of education which which is a program many athletes like. SMU does not, but TCU does. Our program to help dyslexic students is a real plus if a student has that need, but it does nothing to attract those who don't. The key thing is finding students with the athletic skills we need who need the programs we have at NT. Sometimes that's hard and other times it's not.

I don't believe the coaching staff suddenly forgot how to coach football. How many people where you work suddenly forgot how to do their jobs after doing them well for years? It just doesn't happen! In the corporate environment, "accountability" has a LOT more levels than simply "fired" or promoted. Lot's of people are held accountable for problems in their work without being fired. The vast majority of people are! A great many even get raises while being held accountable for some problem at work.

Gee, coaches aren't perfect. I'm shocked, shocked! As a student/reporter for KNTU, I remember being in a press conference held by Haden Fry where he blamed the team for not executing his game plan as the reason for a loss. He was frustrated and upset and later backed it down without EVER admitting he said something wrong. That's what coaches do.

All coaches should be evaluated at the end of each season. Not in the middle, but the end of each season. How did they get their teams to perform? Did they win? Did they progress? What happened? Most importantly why did things happen the way they did. "Why" is not an excuse, it's a reason. And it's almost never, EVER a black and white situation. When you manage people, I've found it's almost never, EVER a black and white situation! Occasionally, you get lucky but usually it's a sea of gray.

• Upvote 6

What I want to know is when Rick Villarreal loses his job. The level of mediocrity (and frankly mostly awfulness) of our sports programs under his tenure shouldn't be tolerated.

RV will be here as long as he wants, the BOR has no cajones and is quite happy with the product being put out as of late hence the constant extensions.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

RV will be here as long as he wants, the BOR has no cajones and is quite happy with the product being put out as of late hence the constant extensions.

Remember that RV was only extended one year.

But as long as the athletic budget is balanced, I doubt RV has to fear for his job.

• Upvote 1

without EVER admitting he said something wrong. That's what coaches do.

This is not exclusive to Mac, but it is universal among coaches and most corporate middle managers. I have never accepted it and I never will. I have a whole bunch more respect for a manager who says, "Man I really screwed this up, and getting through it is gonna suck. Let's get our sleeves rolled up, get it done, and I'll buy you a beer after," as opposed to the manager who just royally fucks it up for everybody, shoving a splintered broom stick up the collective orifice and sending out emails to the rank and file that says, "what an opportunity I've created for everybody!"

I've never been able to beat those people, but I sure as hell have been able to outlast, because the hot air only keeps the balloon afloat for so long before it ultimately deflates, comes back to earth, and gets swept away in a storm drain to go strangle some marine life.

• Upvote 1

Agree 100%. Why have we wasted their freshman years? What have they gotten, 10 carries each the whole year?

Wilson's been injured so he's missed games for that reason. May not see him again if the coaches are going to seek a medical redshirt for him.

Should Canales have a job here after the season is over? His play calling is awful, it doesn't seem like he develops any of our QB's but this just might be all in my head.

I have no confidence in him and I think Mac only kept him around when he got here for continuity and he was able to do just enough to stick around. But after this season, I don't see how Canales' position is safe. He's recruited poor QBs who have flamed out, and doesn't seem capable of developing a solid QB who can move the football when we need to.

As for his play-calling... the less said the better.

I heard Mac's comments after the game, and could tell he was angry frustrated and disappointed in his team... but he created the rod for his own back by sticking with McNulty even though he can only move the team once in a blue moon or the defense gifts him an open receive that he may or may not hit.

Though the most accurate comment of Mac's was, "we're making plays losing teams make (KO fumble; pick-six)" but I don't know how he can fix that while maintaining UNT's best home is with a perpetual backup who can't sustain drives. After the success story that was Marcus Trice, I don't know why Mac doesn't invest more time and scholarships in the right JUCO players. You can't unearth program stars if you don't get out there and offer JUCOs.

Edited by gradumacated
  • Upvote 1

Wilson's been injured so he's missed games for that reason. May not see him again if the coaches are going to seek a medical redshirt for him.

I have no confidence in him and I think Mac only kept him around when he got here for continuity and he was able to do just enough to stick around. But after this season, I don't see how Canales' position is safe. He's recruited poor QBs who have flamed out, and doesn't seem capable of developing a solid QB who can move the football when we need to.

As for his play-calling... the less said the better.

Mac kept him around because certain large donors wanted Chico to be head coach.

Compromise.

• Upvote 1