Monday morning thoughts...

Harry

That loss Saturday was particularly rough for our fans. In many ways it was a worst case scenario for the season and the program. Losing to UAB in that fashion hurts but the bigger issue is our once promising QB talent now has a major mental hurdle to overcome... he's young and we knew he would make some mistakes but noone saw it happening like this. I worry he will take some time to recover from this.

I can't help but wonder what might have happened had Dajon got some of the valuable reps that Greer and McNulty received this past fall and in the spring? He has himself to blame but now we all have to face the fact he may not be ready to lead this team.

After the Todd Dodge experience failed miserably, it really hurts to see a former high school coach with no D-I head coaching experience just absolutely dismantle Mac and staff like Saturday.

I haven't looked at a replay, and certainly you can't turn the ball over 5 times and expect to win but clearly the defense is a concern. I found it interesting that George and Hank were unaware that Laramie Lee would not be playing in the game. That's a BIG loss and we are not the same defense without him.

The biggest issue that seems to fly under the radar is what the heck happened to our offensive line? They came into this season as our strength and rightfully so. Yet, we are getting little to no push on the ball and Dajon was often running for his life out there Saturday. I just don't get how you can have the guys we have on the o-line playing so poorly. I think you have to move Lemon back to guard -- that experiment has been a disaster and again you aren't at least developing someone at tackle for future years.

There is still a lot to play for this season, however the talk of bowls and conference championship games needs to stop. This is a program really struggling for an identity and leadership. As a fan it hurts me to see it this way. gmg

The biggest issue that seems to fly under the radar is what the heck happened to our offensive line? They came into this season as our strength and rightfully so. Yet, we are getting little to no push on the ball and Dajon was often running for his life out there Saturday. I just don't get how you can have the guys we have on the o-line playing so poorly. I think you have to move Lemon back to guard -- that experiment has been a disaster and again you aren't at least developing someone at tackle for future years.

Agreed. I knew we would struggle at QB, especially early, but I had no idea we would have trouble running the ball. I thought we would get to six wins, maybe seven with some lucky breaks.

The complete lack of push by both the offensive and defensive lines, and the fact that many of the CUSA bottom feeders have improved, means that I don't know how we get to five wins.

• Upvote 3

Agreed. I knew we would struggle at QB, especially early, but I had no idea we would have trouble running the ball. I thought we would get to six wins, maybe seven with some lucky breaks.

The complete lack of push by both the offensive and defensive lines, and the fact that many of the CUSA bottom feeders have improved, means that I don't know how we get to five wins.

Who knew LaChris was such a key cog?

• Upvote 1

Agreed, the offensive line has been atrocious. I'm sure it's related to losing a couple, and moving Lemon to the outside. I think we ought to develop a tackle for the future, especially one who'll go through the program with Dajon. Build some trust. Question is, do we have that player on the team?

I remember one play against UAB where the defensive end ran right by our left tackle like he wasn't there and sacked Dajon. Dajon didn't even know he was there, and I don't know what's worse - a QB who hears steps behind him every snap, or a QB who doesn't hear steps and ends up being dropped for a loss.

How bad are the backups at RT?? Or is it just a question of chemistry?

Seems like Y'Barbo has been fighting foot/ankle issues all year and that certainly doesn't help. He's been one of my favorite players the last 4 years. Watching that guy pull and run downfield was just awesome. This year we aren't seeing as much of that, at all.

I don't remember the exact quote, but Mac said at the beginning of the season that the starting 5 OL were the best 5 by a wide margin. If this is true, it is very disturbing going forward.

Then go to a two-tight end, pre-Lane Kiffin type of Alabama offense...because it is obvious that the passing game is not going to be our strength any time soon.

I don't remember the exact quote, but Mac said at the beginning of the season that the starting 5 OL were the best 5 by a wide margin. If this is true, it is very disturbing going forward.

Yup. He said it during the coaches show after the Texas game. That was scary to me as well. Especially considering, of the 11 high school o-linemen Mac has signed, the only one who has ever started a game has been Lemon. Are his other signees all really that far behind? Some have left, some are redshirting, but we really want and need those guys to pan out.

Agreed, the offensive line has been atrocious. I'm sure it's related to losing a couple, and moving Lemon to the outside. I think we ought to develop a tackle for the future, especially one who'll go through the program with Dajon. Build some trust. Question is, do we have that player on the team?

I remember one play against UAB where the defensive end ran right by our left tackle like he wasn't there and sacked Dajon. Dajon didn't even know he was there, and I don't know what's worse - a QB who hears steps behind him every snap, or a QB who doesn't hear steps and ends up being dropped for a loss.

Added to what you just said about trusting his line, a QB needs to understand the protection and be aware that in some cases, they are responsible for avoiding that unblocked man. You can't undervalue the football IQ it takes to progress through the presnap reads. As far as footsteps, I think your QB has to have situational awareness but have that gun-barrel-in-the-face poise in the pocket. Planting your feet and hitting the open receiver, knowing you're about to get ear-holed takes ice in the veins and you either have that or you don't.

Edited by RiddleMeThisGT

The fact of the matter is you don't know how these kids are going to perform in a game situation until you put them in that situation. All of them lack experience in battle, and it's painfully obvious. Regarding Williams reps--that's on him. Hard to assess someone who doesn't practice consistently or know the plays he should. That's in the past, though.

You know, this is the same coaching staff that assessed Greer to be the best candidate for the starting QB spot.

Greer was Canales' guy for sure he really went after him twice. I would like to see a change sooner then later at OC.

How many of those "it was Dajon's fault, even though WR werent open or lemon or Johnson let the speed rush run right past them" come on Mac.. Give the kid a little slack. Fumble was TERRIBLE picks both bad... The plays that DAJON is being asked to make, we didn't ask our 5th year senior to make. This team is in total disarray... Everyone deserves equal blame.

Every stinking unit, except Carlos Harris who has played his butt off for this program.

• Upvote 2

I feel like dajon had a horrible game hesitating on his throws holding the ball way too long... and weve changed the offense...y? If our defense isnt playing well keep them off the feild old school football protect the rs fresh.. make him a bus driver i felt we put alot of pressure on him to win the game.. defense isnt healthy and is young(needs more development) that will take time... expecting this d to be like last years is unfair.. they arnt 3-4 year players... we need to protect them with time of possesion

• Upvote 2

I feel like dajon had a horrible game hesitating on his throws holding the ball way too long... and weve changed the offense...y? If our defense isnt playing well keep them off the feild old school football protect the rs fresh.. make him a bus driver i felt we put alot of pressure on him to win the game.. defense isnt healthy and is young(needs more development) that will take time... expecting this d to be like last years is unfair.. they arnt 3-4 year players... we need to protect them with time of possesion

Actually, 9/11 starters on defense are 3+ year players. So...there's always that.
  • Upvote 1