How I feel!

meangreenbob

Agreed, I personally don't agree that firing Mac is a good idea. Although I am concerned that the recruits he brought in have shown nothing impressive this year. I think he's one of the better coaches we've had, but maybe the 2014 season is a wake up call for this guy. It's clear, he knows he disappointed everyone this game, now he needs to keep his chin up this week and get the team to work their a** off. We have a home game in a week, and there are no if, ands, or buts on the 18th. He needs to prove to whoever of the small fan base that shows up Saturday that UNT has something to prove. And if we lose all of our games, at least show us the mean green are going down swinging. No blow outs and looking like there is no motivation anymore....

• Upvote 3

Not advocating that we fire Mac but saying we don't have the ability should we see the need in the near future.

However, we do need a change at the AD position.

Yeah. I agree the extension was a little hasty based on recruiting, but I think firing him would be hasty as well. Plus, no way we buy out more than a year of that contract. And even if we did, just like with basketball, it's hard to feel confident in RV to make a good hire.

RV's last 6 hires in the big 3 sports (Football, Men's basketball, Women's basketball) have gone a combined 117-216, good for a .351 winning percentage. There has been one winning season during the tenures of those 6 hires, spanning 15 seasons heading into this school year, and it resulted in the extension for Coach Mccarney.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 5

RV's last 6 hires in the big 3 sports (Football, Men's basketball, Women's basketball) have gone a combined 117-216, good for a .351 winning percentage. There has been one winning season during the tenures of those 6 hires, spanning 15 seasons heading into this school year, and it resulted in the extension for Coach Mccarney.

SMH

• Upvote 1

Not really advocating that we fire Mac but trying to say we don't have the ability should we see the need in the near future. I guess I didn't do a very good job expressing that.

However, we do need a change at the AD position.

In that case, I completely agree. We built a state of the art stadium and haven't sold it our yet! Why is it that it seems like RV just settles for mediocre. Jesus man, something needs to drastically change. There needs to be a better promoting of a winning football team. But the problem is, we don't have a winning football team.

• Upvote 3

Why stop at 6? Add in the 7th, even if it really screws up your numbers. Play fair.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Why stop at 6? Add in the 7th, even if it really screws up your numbers. Play fair.

To be honest, I haven't been following UNT sports all that long. I've been loosely following football since 2003, but nothing below the surface like the AD. I didn't know off the top of my head who that 7th hire would've been, but I knew the other 6 off the top of my head.

I'm guessing that 7th was Johnny Jones. My point in bringing up those other hires was to show that it's hard to have confidence in present-day RV to make a hire. A hire he made 13 years ago wouldn't really disprove that feeling. The 6 hires he's made in the last seven years are a little more indicative of that, and unsettling to be honest.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3

There is no accountability, from the coaching hires to the AD to the school board to the president. They are all doing the bare minimum and expecting to be commended for it the same way they have for as long as UNT has been a school.

I'm not ready to turn on Mac, I think we're struggling because there are so many young guys out there and the class of 2011 had a lot of attrition (the class he had two months to sign after being hired) . I know everything falls on him but at the same time Canales is responsible for the quarterbacks specifically and he simply has not been able to get a decent player on campus in 5 years now. I think Canales will be sent packing after this year and I don't have a problem with it.

What I do have a problem with is what Billysee mentioned above, those records are awful for an AD. At this point the only thing you can point to in RV's tenure as a great success is getting the AC & stadium built, and the latter only broke ground thanks to the student fee.

I think RV has to go as well, just for a shake-up in the AD department and some fresh insight into the current programs.

To be fair to RV, I think he made a couple of decent hires (i.e. Kate Ashton, women's bb coach) who didn't stick because a bigger program came knocking (her alma mater, Texas). Though the Shanice Stephens hire is mind-boggling - as was the Todd Dodge hire though even then Dodge got decent recruits on campus.

Southern Miss did have, or may have, an AD position opening and there's thoughts RV may want to take that. Which I don't think would be terrible. If RV was as good as people think he is, I think another program would have come and plucked him by now.

I think next year we'll have two new coordinators. Canales will be sent packing and Skladany may retire. Unless he wants one more year to show that this year's unit is an aberration.

And then there's the scheduling RV oversees...

I'm not ready to turn on Mac, I think we're struggling because there are so many young guys out there and the class of 2011 had a lot of attrition (the class he had two months to sign after being hired) .

Smarts.

I am disappointed with how long it took to get to a post like this.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Hence why some are saying there's a difference between losing a bunch of returning starters and being a young team.

We had the second-fewest returning starters in the FBS but we're not a young team. Means that last year's senior class didn't have much of a challenge maintaining their jobs, and it's showing this year.

Ok. Agree. Or it means that McCarney hasn't recruited worth damn and no development has happened.

MeanGreenBob,

You will not be missed. May I be the first to say please take your money elsewhere.

ParksAndRecRick

That attitude is sure to fill the stadium on game days...but it is easier than actually fixing the problems so I guess we know where you fall on the do the easy wrong thing/hard right thing scale.

• Upvote 5

Why not North Texas? Because we have an AD who consistently makes wrong hires and then foolishly signs them to one sided long term contracts at a salary level our cash poor University cannot afford to buy out thereby dooming the programs to years of failure only to repeat the cycle years later after their contracts expire.

Its very obvious Mac has not been able to recruit well while here at UNT. People this is his "fourth" year and the results are unacceptable. But we are stuck with him because our AD hastily signed him to a new contract with a hefty pay raise without seeing first if he could sustain the success he had in 2013. This is bad business.

Its getting difficult to justify investing hard earned money in a losing venture year after year. Its a bad investment regardless how the AD spins the benefits. Remember he is making a very nice salary himself with no accountability.

Starting to feel this way a bit myself. The most concerning thing is this is accepted at UNT. RV will be here until he doesn't want to be here anymore because he is such a swell guy. Never mind the fact that he has failed to market, schedule, and hire to assure any type of athletic success.

I mean, he cries a lot, so he must care. And that's good enough for little ole UNT.

Bad football, bad basketball, no consequences.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Since we have a new president it's hard to tell if he cares, but it's been evident over the years that there is not a lot of caring by some who steer the university. I mean they don't seem to care about what these embarrassments do to the brand.

And I think they have done a poor job overall of building the brand in other ways. They have done some things right, but then stupid stuff like only selling eagle logo merchandise that has the 'North Texas' attached to it. Do you see any other schools where you can't just get the logo to put on stuff without words on it too? I even see that Texas State bobcat on cars all over the place. It doesn't say 'Texas State' on it but I know what it is. I don't want the item to say 'North Texas' cause it doesn't look like what big schools do and it de-emphasizes the eagle which is a more recognizable symbol by itself.

That sounds petty but it exemplifies the sort of buffoonery we've consistently had to endure even during the rare good times. Getting blown out by LT, Indiana and UAB is a clown act. They may as well play that 'yackety sax' song at the games. Comedy football, but I don't find it funny. That's how I feel.

• Upvote 4