Bowl Projections 11/12/2017

unt_rocket09

6 minutes ago, shaft said:

We’ll have a real good idea which bowl it is after next week, we just need to see what bowl reps show up.

Armed Forces Bowl will be there to “see” Army, so don’t read too much into that., unless they are the only one there.

We should know before it’s official on  Dec. 3rd.

Can we name you the "Official Bowl Rep Investigator" & expect a report back on 11/20?

• Lovely Take 1

29 minutes ago, greeneagle1 said:

So my only concern is if we win the CUSA Title game, we get to pick from the affiliated CUSA Bowls. I assume we would not get to peak at the alternate bowls such as Indep, HoD, etc. I wonder what we pick, not knowing who the opponent may be. 

Hmm.  Good call.   
I bet there will be quite a few C-USA-contracted bowls that would like us to play there.   I hope C-USA would try to maneuver to get us a shot at a P5.   Wren knows how this stuff works, and we're down the road from the office, so it wont be hard to stay in constant communication.   I'm just glad we don't have a contractual tie-in for the champion like the SBC does, since our bowl selections are not the greatest ever.

• Upvote 2

We’re getting a little to fanboy in here about what we would like vs.  what is likely.

New Orleans vs Ark St or LaLa on a Saturday.

Dallas vs. UT St or Akron on a Tuesday afternoon

Frisco vs. Houston on a Wed nite.

Shreveport vs Virgina on a Wed

Or

Fort Worth vs Army on a Saturday.

Edited by shaft
Grammar

3 minutes ago, shaft said:

We’re getting a little to fanboy in here about we would like vs.  what is likely.

New Orleans vs Ark St or LaLa on a Saturday.

Dallas vs. UT St or Akron on a Tuesday afternoon

Frisco vs. Houston on a Wed nite.

Shreveport vs Virgina on a Wed

Or

Fort Worth vs Army on a Saturday.

Frisco Bowl VS Houston?  Yikes, that's going to be a very expensive ticket as the demand will FAR outweigh the supply.   But would be a game I'd like to see.  That one & Independence.  The others... eh, I'll be there.

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Frisco Bowl VS Houston?  Yikes, that's going to be a very expensive ticket as the demand will FAR outweigh the supply.   But would be a game I'd like to see.  That one & Independence.  The others... eh, I'll be there.

There’s no way they put that matchup in Frisco. That facility couldn’t handle the UNT ticket demand alone, not to mention UH.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BeatNavy said:

Why?

(Not that it matters, Army is headed to Fort Worth.)

Getting accustomed to our Texas weather (and recruiting), eh?  LOL!   I tell you one thing, yall are one hot ticket & Army may very well be participating in the  largest crowd in Apogee Stadium history.  

Game Day Weather @ Apogee Stadium This Saturday:    Blue skies & approx. 65 degrees at the 5:30 pm kick-off.

A West Point Salute:  One of my Danbury, Texas (SW of Houston) fellow HS football alums played for Army.  We were tickled when he got the call from the Texas Congressman who recommended & sponsored him for a West Point appointment.

Most all will give the Cadets & their fans a Texas-friendly welcome in Denton this Saturdaay and some of us will politely applaud your team when they come out of the Apogee tunnel onto the field, but after the kick-off---no more playing nice! :pow: 

One of the best Fouts Field (our former stadium) memories for many of us was when Navy came to Denton.   The UNT Green Brigade Marching Band's last few measures of the Star Spangled Banner were probably the fastest played in national anthem history. (They were trying to hurry up the end of the song before the 4 fighter jets from over here at Fort Worth flew over-----it was almost funny, right Silver Eagle)?

Look forward to seeing the Mean Green playing an opponent I like & respect & where most know our tax monies are being wisely spent. 

Have a safe trip if your coming down, BeatNavy

BeatArmy!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't see the big deal about playing Army twice this year. We will play FAU twice on the road. Oklahoma will play either OSU or TCU twice, and the NFL plays all division teams twice a year. I am sure that Wren Baker will chose what he thinks is best for the team and fans based upon the options available to him.UNT may have little input as to where CUSA sends them if the Eagles get plucked by FAU again.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

13 minutes ago, wardly said:

I don't see the big deal about playing Army twice this year. We will play FAU twice on the road. Oklahoma will play either OSU or TCU twice, and the NFL plays all division teams twice a year. I am sure that Wren Baker will chose what he thinks is best for the team and fans based upon the options available to him.UNT may have little input as to where CUSA sends them if the Eagles get plucked by FAU again.

The conference will want butts in seats. UNT will play where they will bring the most fans as a division champion against an opponent that will help draw the most fans. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, wardly said:

Nothing wrong with playing them twice a year, but twice a year for two years in a row is really weird for an OOC.

I don't care for it, but now that I see that they aren't on our 2018 schedule, I suppose I can survive this.  Life will carry on.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wardly said:

Out of, what, 80 eligible teams you want the same bowl opponent 2 yesrs in a row after playing the same team during each season? The NFL has their own scheduling specifications that make it so they play division opponents twice which carries weight for the playoffs. For OU you're talking about conference championships no different than us with FAU. We shouldn't play an OOC 4 times in 2 years if we have the ability to play another team.

I need to add that hopefully I didn't offend you in any way (people get so easily offended these days...). It just gets me so fired up that people are content with playing army again or going to the NO bowl to play a sun belt team. If we were looking at a fnish near 6-6 I would understand but we're coming out as division champs. We need to aim higher. Last year we finished 5-7 so you took what you could get. This year we need to get a better bowl or opponent. If they can project UTSA in the HOD against decdnt opponent, that should be us instead.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Out of, what, 80 eligible teams you want the same bowl opponent 2 yesrs in a row after playing the same team during each season? The NFL has their own scheduling specifications that make it so they play division opponents twice which carries weight for the playoffs. For OU you're talking about conference championships no different than us with FAU. We shouldn't play an OOC 4 times in 2 years if we have the ability to play another team.

I need to add that hopefully I didn't offend you in any way (people get so easily offended these days...). It just gets me so fired up that people are content with playing army again or going to the NO bowl to play a sun belt team. If we were looking at a fnish near 6-6 I would understand but we're coming out as division champs. We need to aim higher. Last year we finished 5-7 so you took what you could get. This year we need to get a better bowl or opponent. If they can project UTSA in the HOD against decdnt opponent, that should be us instead.

Not offended at all. I just don't want to go the N.O. Bowl or H.O.D. Bowl.I have been there, done that.In a perfect world I would love to be in Shreveport playing a S.E. C. opponent ,but would would settle for Albuquerque  and the M.W.C.Also, I think that playing in Ft. Worth would give us a recruiting presence in Cow Town that we don't have, and don't mind playing Army  to gain one. Just an old man's opinion.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

WB/SL and them will get us into the best bowl they can... and stop worrying about UTSA, they aren't bowl eligabile (yet) and they very likely would not get the HoD with us in FTW to face Army again... They drew well to the New Mexico bowl as well. 

I personally think we should keep playing in DFW because we have not locked down the DFW recruiting market in terms of the kids we should be getting and its another game for the AD office to make $ on top of hopefully get the eye of alumni. I get the whole people don't want to play army again, and personally I wouldn't like it but I would rather play them if it means playing in FTW or Dallas over going to New Mexico or NO because we don't have many (if any) alumni there and we don't recruit much from those spots. Some people and I'm one of them, I would rather play in Ftw than play in the Cotton Bowl game 

Edited by BTG_Fan1

20 hours ago, ArmyFan1995 said:

Army fan chiming in here .... Army has contractual agreement with Armed Forces Bowl this year so once they became eligible they accepted. 

ESPN has had us playing UNT since mid October ... I thought those guys were brain dead until I read this thread. Do you all think it really possible we would play again? A few other sources have us playing UTSA, Southern Miss or Marshall 

Welcome to the site.  Would totally up for playing you guys again.  That was a close game last years and Fort Worth is a fun town to visit.

Just now, AustinFromUNT said:

I read over on the CUSA Board a fan’s projection that seemed pretty believable. Plus, he went to Rice, so he is one of the sharper tools in the shed. He has us playing against Louisville in the Frisco bowl. How would you feel about that matchup?

I'd feel cheated that a bowl game would not be able to hold 30,000 plus area UNT bowl fans, AustinFromUNT; that's how I'd feel. 

But like the great Darrell Royal said concerning another theme:  "OLD UGLY'S BETTER THAN OL' NOTHING." :huh:

• Haha 1

Just in passing, there have been several posts suggesting that we should move to the MWC if at all possible .However, there also have been several posts against playing a bowl game in Albuquerque because its too far to travel. The University of New Mexico in Albuquerque is the closest MWC school to UNT.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, wardly said:

Just in passing, there have been several posts suggesting that we should move to the MWC if at all possible .However, there also have been several posts against playing a bowl game in Albuquerque because its too far to travel. The University of New Mexico in Albuquerque is the closest MWC school to UNT.

ww, only if the 4 CUSA Texas schools + La Tech could go as a package deal would the MWC make sense (and probably cents). That problem means no one is going anywhere soon. 

Best thing the MWC has going for it are several schools that have been in the Top 25 thru the years.   The "new"  CUSA since we've been a member just 1 school, ie, the one we play for the CUSA championship game.  My O my if we could win that game.  

Just my .02.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

I read over on the CUSA Board a fan’s projection that seemed pretty believable. Plus, he went to Rice, so he is one of the sharper tools in the shed. He has us playing against Louisville in the Frisco bowl. How would you feel about that matchup?

I think this game possibly goes over 100 pts.

I would rather see one of the other possible-6-win ACC teams like Wake Forest/BC/Virginia/GATech.

And, I'm starting to agree with those who are saying UNT would never get put in Frisco simply due to our ability/history to fill that place up twice for a bowl game... let alone any opposing team's travelling fans' demand.

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

ww, only if the 4 CUSA Texas schools + La Tech could go as a package deal would the MWC make sense (and probably cents). That problem means no one is going anywhere soon. 

Best thing the MWC has going for it are several schools that have been in the Top 25 thru the years.   The "new"  CUSA since we've been a member just 1 school, ie, the one we play for the CUSA championship game.  My O my if we could win that game.  

Just my .02.

GMG!

The MWC and AAC are in the catbird's seat right now for being the G5s that can pluck away the Big XII's leftovers when that conference dies off here in the next 8 years or so when their GOR expires and those with options are taken and those without are now G5s.

The MWC, especially, wants to get back in Texas, but they know that by waiting this out, they can get ties to the state again, with this pool of teams as potential choices (Tech, TCU, Baylor, Rice, UTSA, UTEP, and us). Lets say that Tech doesn't get left out in the G5 cold, leaving the others to consider, but then add in Iowa State and Kansas State as probable leftovers, you can see quickly where this is going. The MWC will get stronger than they already are by adding in 2-4 more teams to their conferences to get to 14 or 16 teams. My guess is that they will go for KSU, TCU, Baylor, and UH to move over. If they cannot get UH, they will go for UTSA because of the TV market, bowl tie-in, and SA being a destination city. For CUSA, either of those scenarios involve losing either Rice to replace UH in the AAC or replacing UTSA, with ULL replacing Rice and Texas State replacing UTSA.

• Downvote 1