Checking Out Until After the Lamar and SMU Games

I don't think anything major could happen to change how competitive we will (should?) be before the season starts, so I'm taking a break. 

Lamar, SMU, and Army were scheduled because they are (supposed) to be winnable games.  They are the gauge for where we are.  Because of UAB's situation/return, I think you also throw them into the Lamar, SMU, Army mix. 

There's no reason we should not go at least 2-2 against those four because our rosters are roughly the same talent-wise.  If we are 1-3 or worse against those four, it's a problem.  If we are 3-1 or better against them, bowling should be in order.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, DallasGreen said:

Agree with all but SMU. In Dallas we are destined to lose big time as students and players view this as just another OOC game. The Dallas media will roast us for the failure to compete

Are we talking about the same SMU that our fans absolutely hate? The one that a UNT alum in Prosper that drove past me the other day with a UNT license plate that with "SCHM-00" on it?

If you reversed this and said all of this about SMU looking at us the way you say we are doing to them, I'd wholeheartedly agree. If they lose to us, their coach gets fired. If they beat us, they just enjoy the fact that they got a lot of visiting fans to their little stadium to add to their putrid attendance or that their 100 diehard fans had a closer drive to watch their team play in Denton.

The Dallas media won't roast us because they absolutely don't give two $hits about us. They expect us to lose to SMU right now--probably in a blowout. If SMU loses, they will get barbecued and Morris will immediately be on the hot seat for the rest of the year, knowing that a third losing season in a row for him means the unemployment line and probably never being a head coach ever again at this level.

32 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

We're gonna beat SMU.  Even without English.  Mark it.

I'd love it if we did, but I think we are going to have a really tough time with their offense. I suspect that it will take an Army-like performance from the regular season by our defense to win, meaning we get multiple turnovers to win the game. If we turn it over a lot, I think we have a very real chance of getting pounded by them. 

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

We're gonna beat SMU.  Even without English.  Mark it.

Justin Lawler and Courtland Sutton might beat us by themselves.

Nobody can cover Sutton, and our patchwork OL gave up, what, 5 sacks in one game to Lawler or something stupid like that?

You must know something we don't.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, MGNation92 said:

Nobody can cover Sutton, and our patchwork OL gave up, what, 5 sacks in one game to Lawler or something stupid like that?

This is my thought, as well. Their offense will score a lot if they don't turn it over. Our OL will determine if we stay in this one or if we get pounded, in my opinion.

• Lovely Take 1

3 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Sutton needs to have double-coverage on every play.   Not worried about anything else SMU does offensively.  Hicks, although a nice QB does not scare me near as much as Davis did.

Offensively, you're right about pass-pro.  Hopefully heavy pressure/blitzing is something we can negate by Fine quick-hitting Chumley over the middle for big chunks of yards when they do.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Sutton needs to have double-coverage on every play.   Not worried about anything else SMU does offensively.  Hicks, although a nice QB does not scare me near as much as Davis did.

Offensively, you're right about pass-pro.  Hopefully heavy pressure/blitzing is something we can negate by Fine quick-hitting Chumley over the middle for big chunks of yards when they do.

I think there is almost 0% chance Ref allows Sutton to beat us almost single handedly like he did last year.  Scheme to take him out or at least minimize his impact.  Make others hurt us offensively and if they do it and beat us, just tip your hat to em and move along.

This year we get Lamar as our tune up to get out jitters and work out the kinks in game format.  I'm expecting a significant offensive progression this season.  We have multiple players with playmaker potential now at WR, RB and TE.  We didn't last year, outside of the great Jeffery Wilson (certainly not to start the year). .  

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, Green Lantern said:

I think there is almost 0% chance Ref allows Sutton to beat us almost single handedly like he did last year.  Scheme to take him out or at least minimize his impact.  Make others hurt us offensively and if they do it and beat us, just tip your hat to em and move along.

This year we get Lamar as our tune up to get out jitters and work out the kinks in game format.  I'm expecting a significant offensive progression this season.  We have multiple players with playmaker potential now at WR, RB and TE.  We didn't last year, outside of the great Jeffery Wilson (certainly not to start the year). .  

I would feel a lot better about ^that^ happening if English was still in the middle.  Game changer, we need him back ASAP.

7 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I would feel a lot better about ^that^ happening if English was still in the middle.  Game changer, we need him back ASAP.

Agreed.  Bryce is a significant loss. Still think, even without him, that we can scheme to keep Sutton in check.

Another thing to keep in mind about this game is that it's not a traditional early road game for us.  We'll fill up almost half of their stadium with green.  It's not like its a hornets nest for an opposing team.  Team will be well supported.

• Lovely Take 1

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

True except for the hail mary at the end of the half.  We misplayed that.

11 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Most times, yeah.   That 3rd & 95 or whatever it was, duck Davis threw up to Sutton in the End Zone will torment me forever.

In the words of Nicki Minaj, he's a mfing monster.

There's only so much you can do to cover a first round draft pick.

• Lovely Take 1

19 minutes ago, Aldo said:
20 minutes ago, Aldo said:

I

I watched this again and it brought back bad memories. I threw up a little bit in my mouth!

200.gif#1-grid1

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

Would you say our secondary is better or worse than last year?

• Lovely Take 1

35 minutes ago, Aldo said:

In the words of Nicki Minaj, he's a mfing monster.

There's only so much you can do to cover a first round draft pick.

Hopefully, Reffett has learned his lesson and will not allow a true freshman (like Jameel Moore on that play) to get matched up with Sutton in one on one coverage with no help.  WTF was Reffett thinking?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

i think he out played any team Smut played last year.  We will see this guy on Sundays for sure, i just wish he would have been last years draft. Davis beat with his legs.

Would have been a 2nd rounder this year. That's a big drop in $$$

• Lovely Take 1

17 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Sutton is a projected 1st-rounder.  Do we have any NFL draftees to cover him?   Doesn't matter if our secondary is better.  He's likely better as well.

Ok, I understand that but my question was.... Would you say  our secondary is better than last year?

• Downvote 1

14 hours ago, Withers940 said:

Ok, I understand that but my question was.... Would you say  our secondary is better than last year?

Yes I believe that it will be.. 

Nate and Jenkins having a full year in the system, McClain as well. The question will be can Hall (Juco transfer) fill in like Chad Davis did in that 2a, 2b CB role that he did last rotating with Jenks... Next would be can Muhammad fill in for Gray, I don't think Gray did anything great last year and was JAG (just a guy).. Dee and Preston should be improved in that rover spot as well. 

Last year this defense came out to hyped up and missed A LOT of plays, and it was most notable on the 50 yard hail-mary... They should play better, but again Sutton is a freak and will get his yardage, and if he doesn't whoever is guarding him will be having a career day.