Top 10 reasons UTSA is not a rival

casual fan

I don't know... after reading all the tension in these posts about our feelings about UTSA.  Seems like some ingredients to a budding rivalry.  

Something that I think makes for a good rivalry is general disdain for a team.

Honestly, I like the idea of them becoming a rival.  Yes, proximity-wise, smu makes sense.  However, I don't think they think about us too often. 

UTSA is in conference, in division.  I think there is some jealousy on our part for how quickly they have grown. It is a game I want to be sure to watch (bc of 2013). 

Makes sense to me.

GMG!

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

If I didn't miss something this makes Littrell the highest paid coach in the league.  

I think your right.  Littrell's contract was extended, but it looks like Rice and UTSA stood pat.

What is a little concerning is this: http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=C-USA

However, Littrell seems to have a pretty good eye for talent.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 7:51 AM, MrStrange18 said:

I don't know... after reading all the tension in these posts about our feelings about UTSA.  Seems like some ingredients to a budding rivalry.  

Something that I think makes for a good rivalry is general disdain for a team.

Honestly, I like the idea of them becoming a rival.  Yes, proximity-wise, smu makes sense.  However, I don't think they think about us too often. 

UTSA is in conference, in division.  I think there is some jealousy on our part for how quickly they have grown. It is a game I want to be sure to watch (bc of 2013). 

Makes sense to me.

GMG!

What UTSA has become isn't really too surprising. They are a large public university in a town without another FBS program. I realize UT/A&M have tons of pull there, as well as the fact that Texas State is just up the road, but their city has no other football team to cover in the papers or on TV/radio for a local appeal until UTSA moved up. The city has shown a lot of support for them. They have no other pro sports besides the Spurs to take away from potential fans attending games and the Alamodome is right in the center of town. ANd the final kicker that helps them tremendously is that their city is seen as a tourist destination by other schools' fans, which is how they have gotten Arizona, Arizona State, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, New Mexico, and Colorado State to play them down there.

UTSA has a ton of advantages that nobody else in the regional G5s have. It would be only be surprising if they didn't take advantage of it all. So far, they've built this thing up in a pretty reasonable fashion from just starting football back in 2010.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

soooo our site is down and I have nothing better to do.  I dont have hatred for UNT, but seems to be that the UTSA UNT relationship is inching in the direction of a Rivalry.  The games in the past years have been pretty heated.  Only other team IMO has me wanting to watch is la tech and they seem to have our number the majority of the time.  Also, the forums here have me constantly checking to see what your new unis will look like.  They ever going to be released???

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

On 07/23/2017 at 1:36 AM, unt_rocket09 said:

Just because you dipshits can't check your ego doesn't mean UTSA isn't a rivalry. Live in reality, they are on, or ABOVE our level! 

And just because you act like an ass doesn't mean they are.

Edited by Rudy
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, Rowdy said:

soooo our site is down and I have nothing better to do.  I dont have hatred for UNT, but seems to be that the UTSA UNT relationship is inching in the direction of a Rivalry.  The games in the past years have been pretty heated.  Only other team IMO has me wanting to watch is la tech and they seem to have our number the majority of the time.  Also, the forums here have me constantly checking to see what your new unis will look like.  They ever going to be released???

I don't think there's anything wrong with a rivalry, or a rivalry with UTSA. It's just that it feels like this fan base is throwing the R word around with every new team we play.

It feels forced, and I just want to be wined and dined first.

Unis coming in August.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with a rivalry, or a rivalry with UTSA. It's just that it feels like this fan base is throwing the R word around with every new team we play.

It feels forced, and I just want to be wined and dined first.

Unis coming in August.

I don't feel like it feels forced. If you told me UTEP it might feel forced but UTSA has found a way to beat us in recent games that meant  the most the program. It feels like it happens naturally to me and it is because they haven't "known there place". It is because they've done the unexpected and beaten us when they shouldn't have.

They are like an annoying fly that won't go away until you kill that sorry bastard. That annoyance turns to hatred which is the definition of rivalry in team sports.

13 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I don't feel like it feels forced. If you told me UTEP it might feel forced but UTSA has found a way to beat us in recent games that meant  the most the program. It feels like it happens naturally to me and it is because they haven't "known there place". It is because they've done the unexpected and beaten us when they shouldn't have.

They are like an annoying fly that won't go away until you kill that sorry bastard. That annoyance turns to hatred which is the definition of rivalry in team sports.

This happened 1 time. 2013.  All other games VS them have had virtually nothing on the line.   We beat them once to keep from going 0-fer.

UTSA also beat UNT last year when they shouldn't have, keeping us from a 6-6 season.  I really hate those guys!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

My dislike for UTSA comes down to the trashy way they came onto the field. Throwing stuff, flipping off the students, and threatening to "kick our ass on Fry" later that night. I hate them solely because they were a bunch of a-holes. Reflected their coach and their fanbase well though.

UT rejects. The school exists as a UT Austin overflow.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This happened 1 time. 2013.  All other games VS them have had virtually nothing on the line.   We beat them once to keep from going 0-fer.

UTSA also beat UNT last year when they shouldn't have, keeping us from a 6-6 season.  I really hate those guys!!!

I think this was something on the line. It was a tremendous momentum killer. We had just upset Army at West Point and were sitting at 4-3 on the season. Thats the same record we started with in the '13 season. We collapsed after that and only went 1-5 the rest of the season. The UTSA game was a major turning point in 2016.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I think this was something on the line. It was a tremendous momentum killer. We had just upset Army at West Point and were sitting at 4-3 on the season. Thats the same record we started with in the '13 season. We collapsed after that and only went 1-6 the rest of the season. The UTSA game was a major turning point in 2016.

oops.   I meant UTEP in my original post, but eh.   If we're going this route, then we must consider every single conference game a 'rival'.

• Lovely Take 3

I enjoy playing against UNT and talking good-natured smack with y'all.  I don't care if there is an "official" rivalry or trophy.

It's obvious by all the discussion and declarations of "hatred" that there is a connection between the two teams/fan bases. 

It is what it is.  Enjoy it and be glad that Roadrunners are willing to travel to Denton to watch. (and vice versa) 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I feel that some - not all - of UTSA's fans seem bowed up against North Texas.  Like they have a chip on their shoulder.

Now that you say that, this is a very good point. I guess its a step brother mentality that they feel unloved by the rest of the Texas family because they joined the family (Football) late.

My dislike for UTSA is mainly due to my visits to both UTSA games vs UNT in which the fans were complete ass hats to my family and I. I am here to watch my alma mater play and Im being accosted by hill country hillbillies. The second game my 3 year old was there and fans were yelling obscenities at us and this is unforgivable in my book. They can all go to HELL

Edited by Withers940
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

Now that you say that, this is a very good point. I guess its a step brother mentality that they feel unloved by the rest of the Texas family because they joined the family (Football) late.

My dislike for UTSA is mainly due to my visits to both UTSA games vs UNT in which the fans were complete ass hats to my family and I. I am here to watch my alma mater play and Im being accosted by hill country hillbillies. The second game my 3 year old was there and fans were yelling obscenities at us and this is unforgivable in my book. They can all go to HELL

When people are dumb, and have never had a team of their own to root for in the past, you have to forgive their behavior.  They're new to this game.

It's completely OK to dislike morons without hitching YOUR wagon to THEIRS by referring to the pairing as a "rivalry".

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UTSA Paratrooper 04 said:

I enjoy playing against UNT and talking good-natured smack with y'all.  I don't care if there is an "official" rivalry or trophy.

It's obvious by all the discussion and declarations of "hatred" that there is a connection between the two teams/fan bases. 

It is what it is.  Enjoy it and be glad that Roadrunners are willing to travel to Denton to watch. (and vice versa) 

I would prefer y'all didn't. Pretty much the only fanbase I can say that about.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

When people are dumb, and have never had a team of their own to root for in the past, you have to forgive their behavior.  They're new to this game.

Not having a team before is not an excuse for acting the way that was described. I didn't had that experience when I went to the last game, but if that is the experience that he had, then that is unacceptable.