MGB: Follow-up thoughts on Littrell, Benford comments

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

benford is the reason for an empty gym.   I will always remember the SFA game they were killing us by 30 and even there fans had stopped cheering.

Yep. He turned a 4K plus average attendance (and growing) into 1500.

And no one has done anything about it.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Was Darrell Dickey ever a head coach before UNT or after?

Did Dickey's teams play in an inaugural league with "new to football" schools or others that had just moved up from DII?

Did Dickey have a winning record while at UNT? 

What was Dickey's record outside of this newly formed league? How many games did he win outside of this conference?

I know we have had disasters since Dickey but it is not saying much by describing him as the most accomplished football coach since 95. Who cares that he had to play Texas, Alabama, TCU or Arizona in one season. Many NT coaches have had similar schedules. (TCU and Arizona were not national powers) 

As an alum and fan, I'm happy that we did win those conference games/titles back then. We should have. It's time to move on from Darrell Dickey and that cupcake start-up league at that time.   

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, Cooley said:

Was Darrell Dickey ever a head coach before UNT or after?

Did Dickey's teams play in an inaugural league with "new to football" schools or others that had just moved up from DII?

Did Dickey have a winning record while at UNT? 

What was Dickey's record outside of this newly formed league? How many games did he win outside of this conference?

I know we have had disasters since Dickey but it is not saying much by describing him as the most accomplished football coach since 95. Who cares that he had to play Texas, Alabama, TCU or Arizona in one season. Many NT coaches have had similar schedules. (TCU and Arizona were not national powers) 

As an alum and fan, I'm happy that we did win those conference games/titles back then. We should have. It's time to move on from Darrell Dickey and that cupcake start-up league at that time.   

All those crap variables and the guy still snagged us better recruits than anyone since, didn't hire a HS football staff, and never got hammered at home in record fashion to an FCS school.

I don't fault anyone for dwelling on Dickey.  Those were fun times, and we've had one - ONE - winning season since.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, greenminer said:

All those crap variables and the guy still snagged us better recruits than anyone since, didn't hire a HS football staff, and never got hammered at home in record fashion to an FCS school.

I don't fault anyone for dwelling on Dickey.  Those were fun times, and we've had one - ONE - winning season since.

Dickey also was hired after being fired from here several times and succeeded at adjusting his game and improving things along the way, helping lead Memphis to one of their greatest seasons in history and a drafted QB to boot.

Rick

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Dickey also was hired after being fired from here several times and succeeded at adjusting his game and improving things along the way, helping lead Memphis to one of their greatest seasons in history and a drafted QB to boot.

Rick

All I know is that he was a stubborn mule while here. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

If Benford wasn't getting stomped against D1 opponents and a couple of guarantee games were all that was keeping him from reaching 22 wins then it wouldn't sound so much like being a sore loser.

He was 10-20 against D1 schools last season, the guarantee games had almost nothing to do that.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

If Benford wasn't getting stomped against D1 opponents and a couple of guarantee games were all that was keeping him from reaching 22 wins then it wouldn't sound so much like being a sore loser.

He was 10-20 against D1 schools last season, the guarantee games had almost nothing to do that.

I think I remember him saying something along the lines of having to raise $325K last year.  How many basketball guarantee games does it take to raise $325K?  How much does it cost us to bring in a lower level school in return?

• Upvote 1

– Benford made the point that UNT is having to raise $215,000 this year from guarantee games. The top teams in Conference USA, including UTEP, UAB, Old Dominion and Charlotte don’t play guarantee games.

Maybe that is so we can pay the little sisters of the poor to come in so we can get Benford to 10 wins. His only season without a losing record '13-'14 included a win over Texas A&M. I don't recall JJ whining about guarantee games because he was pretty good about beating them. He beat LSU and Tech in the same year once, I know he beat Oklahoma State at one point and I'm sure there were others.

• Upvote 1

Benford is a disaster, never should have been hired; I don't care if we go 30-0, he needs to go at the end of the season, definitely build off next years team with a new coach that can recruit talent and coach... Benford, is just plain bad, put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UNT78 said:

Benford is a disaster, never should have been hired; I don't care if we go 30-0, he needs to go at the end of the season, definitely build off next years team with a new coach that can recruit talent and coach... Benford, is just plain bad, put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig!

I hope he goes before the start of this season.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I hope he goes before the start of this season.

It would be nice, but I can understand if we are stuck with him for another season. I don't see us winning a substantial number of games or getting to the NCAAs through the conference tournament, so there's no reason to worry about what to do in that case. Actually, that would be a problem I would LIKE to have, but it just isn't going to happen!

• Upvote 2

Bedford can recruit but he can't coach up his players.  He has always been a good recruiter where ever he has been.  When he leaves here he will find a job somewhere because he does have that skill.  I have not been impressed by his coaching abilities.  The big thing i see is when the other team is on a run he calls time out and we go out do nothing differently on the court.   

Edited by southsideguy

13 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Bedford can recruit but he can't coach up his players.  He has always been a good recruiter where ever he has been.  When he leaves here he will find a job somewhere because he does have that skill.  I have not been impressed by his coaching abilities.  The big thing i see is when the other team is on a run he calls time out and we go out do nothing differently on the court.   

I think we "go up strong" better after these timeouts...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 10:41 PM, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

Dickey has also proven to function better as a Coordinator than a Head Coach.

Edited by UNTLifer

11 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Dickey has also proven to function better as a rCoordinator than a Head Coach.

He has! But he has also, IMO, proven to be worthy of consideration for another HC gig.

It interests me to think about how he would fair under a better budget and AD than RV.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

He has! But he has also, IMO, proven to be worthy of consideration for another HC gig.

It interests me to think about how he would fair under a better budget and AD than RV.

It is amazing to me how much more creative DD's offense's are when he is the OC as opposed to the HC.  He might suffer from what I call, "Norv Turner Syndrome," or "Wade Phillips Syndrome."  Great coordinators that just aren't successful as HC's.