Email From Pres Smatresk. Anybody Know What Was Going On?

Nov. 11, 2015

Dear UNT Community,

I, personally, find some of what recently has been preached from the city sidewalks that border our campus to be abhorrent and contrary to our universitys values. 

While I understand the rights of those preaching to express their opinions, I also believe this kind of diatribe to be hateful and hurtful. I become especially concerned when its directed at members of our university family. 

Our university has long been a supportive, caring, inclusive community. We value and celebrate our diversity. And, most importantly, we act with respect toward one another.

Our university expects individuals to have their own points of view and we respect the rights of each to express them. And, we also must practice constructive, civil dialogue as differing points of view are shared and examined. We cant prevent the hateful speech of others. We can as a community and individually control how we respond to it. I, for one, will not engage those who spew hateful speech. 

However you choose to respond, I thank you all for participating in dialogue civilly and without violence, even when confronted with speech you deem abhorrent. I also encourage you to be supportive of one another, and especially of those who feel threatened and slandered by such hateful speech. 

Thank you for being respectful and kind to one another.   

Neal Smatresk 
President

• Upvote 1

The same hateful preachers that have been on campus for decades went further than usual demeaning women and LGBT folks.

clean-cut little guy...probably early-mid 50s by now...talks with his hands a lot? he's still showing up? I remember spending about two hours watching/listening to him and everyone he was engaging right outside the union maybe a week or two after 9/11 (I was a freshman...9/11 took place, what, maybe a month after I was officially on my own for the first time...kinda accelerated the growth-curve considerably)...I was never religious to begin with, but his hate and blame was really impactful and helped cauterize me for a long time against Christianity...and gave a push toward eastern religions (which I made a part of my second major!).

anyway...glad to see hate has no place on campus.

• Upvote 1

clean-cut little guy...probably early-mid 50s by now...talks with his hands a lot? he's still showing up? I remember spending about two hours watching/listening to him and everyone he was engaging right outside the union maybe a week or two after 9/11 (I was a freshman...9/11 took place, what, maybe a month after I was officially on my own for the first time...kinda accelerated the growth-curve considerably)...I was never religious to begin with, but his hate and blame was really impactful and helped cauterize me for a long time against Christianity...and gave a push toward eastern religions (which I made a part of my second major!).

I remember that guy when I arrived in 03. 

This ain't about that guy. 

What's been happening lately is some guy who's like straight outta Westboro Baptist Church who has been screaming at people at touching folks that come near him. Yells and screams at people calling them whores and f@gs.

12194914_10206772608326616_5072645513431

12227611_993410587391559_471655071115626

• Upvote 1

I resent the statement that students are all fragile now... that is ridiculous. Students now have a way to instantaneously voice their opinion and organize themselves, which is a good thing. also, I find it very funny that his sweatshirt says God loves a humble heart while his banner reeks of unparalleled narcissism. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I've had a ton of conversations with one particular group of preachers, but they never were really that offensive. I've seen a couple guys like the one pictured above and I can't say it's not fun to watch with the types of reactions they're able to incite from students.

Great response from Pres Smatresk though. Best just to ignore them. Preachers like that guy consider it a win to get reactions of any kind.

• Upvote 1

It's very important for folks to know that dudes like that do not represent "Christianity".

I was on campus at the same time you were and recall several times when Christians would engage him with actual biblical knowledge countering his self-righteous declarations, and often-times create spin-off conversations with people who gathered around to actually share what the Bible says contextually (it's a huge book, so you need to know its entirety to really speak to it), instead of what this guy picked out of it.

I remember that guy when I arrived in 03. 

This ain't about that guy. 

What's been happening lately is some guy who's like straight outta Westboro Baptist Church who has been screaming at people at touching folks that come near him. Yells and screams at people calling them whores and f@gs.

12227611_993410587391559_471655071115626

I mean, people actually KNOW that this does not represent Christ, right? 

• Upvote 5

It's very important for folks to know that dudes like that do not represent "Christianity".

I have a great deal of respect for you.  I have seen you post this sentiment on more than one occasion.  I would, however, caution you to avoid the "No True Scotsman" fallacy.

Of the Christians in my life that I've most respected, a common quality among them was restraint from telling other people how to practice religion or categorizing people as truly religious or falsely religious.  They instead made these assertions by living by humble example, never proclaiming themselves to be correct, or pure, or right.

These Westboroesque people come around, best thing is to simply move along.  Neither support nor rebuke.  Just keep moving.  They're fishing for reaction.  I have never figured out why, but that is clearly their intent. 

• Upvote 4

I have a great deal of respect for you.  I have seen you post this sentiment on more than one occasion.  I would, however, caution you to avoid the "No True Scotsman" fallacy.

Of the Christians in my life that I've most respected, a common quality among them was restraint from telling other people how to practice religion or categorizing people as truly religious or falsely religious.  They instead made these assertions by living by humble example, never proclaiming themselves to be correct, or pure, or right.

These Westboroesque people come around, best thing is to simply move along.  Neither support nor rebuke.  Just keep moving.  They're fishing for reaction.  I have never figured out why, but that is clearly their intent. 

The "No True Scottsman" fallacy doesn't quite fit this scenario though.  In that comparison, both are actually Scottish... it's just a difference in opinion.  This would work when you see two Christians arguing about the end times or something.

Ever since emperor Constantine made Christianity the "official religion" of Rome, it has been 'advantageous' in one way or another (see today's money-sucking televangelists) to identify as a "Christian".  The proof is in the pudding though.  What are they doing with that money?  Buying luxurious stuff for themselves.  That is not a True Christian.
This is more like a "wolf in sheep's clothing".  Twisting the No True Scottsman fallacy here, it would be like me telling you, "No True Californian would go to the beach".   You're from Cali.  I'm not actually a Californian... but I sure can talk out of my ass about what I think Californians should think.  However, you can disregard/disprove what I'm saying... because you're actually Californian, and I'm not.

Gotta talk the talk AND walk the walk.  You're absolutely correct in Christians living in humility, among many other things, (walk the walk).  Part of that is Matt. 7:3-5 as you're asserting.
But Jesus also tells us point-blank to proclaim Him (talk the talk)... to ignore that part and stay silent while dudes like the above continue acting a fool "representing Christ" is to disregard a critical tenet of the faith.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Oftentimes the best way to deal with loud, self important a-holes is to ignore them. This dude is going to stick around as long as he gets a reaction and has people hanging around with gay pride flags on like a superhero cape...

Exactly my point.  The street corner guys were on campus back in the early 90s as well.  Some preached, others just passed out little Bible.  We just ignored them and walked on.  Can't seem to figure out what is so difficult these days about ignoring.  These days, everyone seems to want to manufacture a crisis. 

• Upvote 1

The "No True Scottsman" fallacy doesn't quite fit this scenario though.  In that comparison, both are actually Scottish... it's just a difference in opinion.  This would work when you see two Christians arguing about the end times or something.
Ever since emperor Constantine made Christianity the "official religion" of Rome, it has been 'advantageous' in one way or another (see today's money-sucking televangelists) to identify as a "Christian".  The proof is in the pudding though.  What are they doing with that money?  Buying luxurious stuff for themselves.  That is not a True Christian.
This is more like a "wolf in sheep's clothing".  Twisting the No True Scottsman fallacy here, it would be like me telling you, "No True Californian would go to the beach".   You're from Cali.  I'm not actually a Californian... but I sure can talk out of my ass about what I think Californians should think.  However, you can disregard/disprove what I'm saying... because you're actually Californian, and I'm not.

Gotta talk the talk AND walk the walk.  You're absolutely correct in Christians living in humility, among many other things, (walk the walk).  Part of that is Matt. 7:3-5 as you're asserting.
But Jesus also tells us point-blank to proclaim Him (talk the talk)... to ignore that part and stay silent while dudes like the above continue acting a fool "representing Christ" is to disregard a critical tenet of the faith.

Yes.  What someone needs to do is just walk up and show these guys Mathew 10:14 - "If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet."

Move along, dude...you are not welcome and no one is listening to your words.  It's what Jesus did and preached.  Follow him, as you claim to do.

poor little protected snow flakes must have gotten their little feelings hurt and mommy was not there to pop her tit back in their mouth.

Good grief just ignore the guy and he goes away, maybe they should start teaching the Constitution again, 1st Amendment and what not.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

I resent the statement that students are all fragile now... that is ridiculous. 

Not as rediculous as the demands of the Million (college) Student March movement.

1. Free Public College Tuition

2. Cancelation of all student debt.

3. $15 minimum wage for all college employees for each campus.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I was on campus at the same time you were and recall several times when Christians would engage him with actual biblical knowledge countering his self-righteous declarations, and often-times create spin-off conversations with people who gathered around to actually share what the Bible says contextually (it's a huge book, so you need to know its entirety to really speak to it), instead of what this guy picked out of it.

I mean, people actually KNOW that this does not represent Christ, right? 

Well, apparently HE does not.  However, I don't see anything on his sign that should upset the Islamic State, and he could thus represent someone's perceived deity.

• Upvote 1