Coastal Carolina to the Sunbelt Conference

Coach Bill Lewis

Who's next to move up into the G5? El Centro? All of these move ups just dilute the brand even further.

Future Sunbelt Telecast, "Thank you for joining us this Saturday evening, as we watch Southeastern Central State EL Centro University vs. Northwestern Middle Mountain Northpoint University. a suspected crowd of 9 thousand has sold out the stadium in today's rivalry funbelt game."

• Upvote 3

Each addition into the Sunbelt keeps making CUSA look better and better. Thank the football Gods that we got out of that conference. 

Probably true from our vantage point, but the "big boys" probably see us and The Belt in pretty much the same light. With all of the P5 win opportunities for CUSA this season, hopefully the conference can at least begin to make its mark over the next few weeks.

• Upvote 1

Future Sunbelt Telecast, "Thank you for joining us this Saturday evening, as we watch Southeastern Central State EL Centro University vs. Northwestern Middle Mountain Northpoint University. a suspected crowd of 9 thousand has sold out the stadium in today's rivalry funbelt game."

Not sure if we can talk all that much... we are a directional school after all. 

Each addition into the Sunbelt keeps making CUSA look better and better. Thank the football Gods that we got out of that conference. 

We are out of that mess only because SMU moved up to the AAC. Imagine being stuck in the SBC right now. We 'd be playing Idaho,  NMSU, ULL, ULM, Ark State, Texas State, Troy, South Alabama, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Appy State, and Coastal Carolina. Man, I bet the crowds at Apogee for those games would just be packed by the thousands--like no more than 5 thousand.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I believe that moves like this will continue to hurt all G5 schools, not just the Sun Belt.  The larger D1 gets overall, the more likely we will be looking at a clean split of D1 at some point IMO.    Get ready for the super-conference breakaway.

I really feel for our friends at Ark St and LaLa.     They deserve much better.

• Upvote 5

I believe that moves like this will continue to hurt all G5 schools, not just the Sun Belt.  The larger D1 gets overall, the more likely we will be looking at a clean split of D1 at some point IMO.    Get ready for the super-conference breakaway.

I really feel for our friends at Ark St and LaLa.     They deserve much better.

Its just a matter of when. They control the NCAA, the networks, the media, and the legislatures. Once they get the playoff up to 8 teams, that schism will be in full motion. They will be able to schedule each other more often, just to avoid the reality of a loss killing their chances of making the playoff. The money that will be there for those 65 teams will be huge. Some G5 teams will try to BYU it if they don't get in, just to keep up the idea of being included in the P5, by going independent and saying that they could get into the mix if they go undefeated. It would be real easy to see a Boise State, UCF, UH, and others to become independents again. 

When its done, that's gonna leave the remaining G5 and top level FCS teams to probably merge together. I have no doubt that several G5 programs will quit scholarship football, whether its immediate or over a few years. The rest will probably compete in a playoff system, too, just like the one that the FCS currently runs.

If giving away this allows the NCAA Tournament and the College World Series to stay as is, I'd be fine with it. It would certainly be more equitable and competing in hoops and baseball/softball is much easier than in football. But I fear the P5s pulling it all away. Then leaving us with some lower-level tournaments to compete in that don't get anything close to the love and attention that the current NCAA Tournament and College World Series provide.