TAP. THE. BRAKES.

UNT90

No no no. You guys don't get it. We are supposed to be missing DT right now. We have no time for another QB to give positive attention to.

This isn't the script!!!!!!

Lol. We are missing DT and have for the 1st 3 games of the season.

Yesterday's scrimmage was just that.

We will continue to miss him for at least another 2 weeks.

• Downvote 1

But you need to understand that DW's performance against La. Tech's 3rd team was much more impressive than what happened yesterday, because La. Tech's 3rd team is FAR more talented than what we saw yesterday. Not to mention DW was playing with 2nd teamers against La. Tech..

I'm looking at the replay and on the first td drive I see first teamers, 32, 21, 11, & 7 in there mixed with some second team, and on the 1st and 2nd drive I see mostly second teamers 34, 24, 29, 20, & 35. 3rd team linemen may have been in on those drives, but a lot of the secondary and lbs were second team based on the updated depth chart.

LaTech lost to Northwestern State (Southland conference) at home. Hmmmmm, please UNT90, explain to us the football ignorant, what this means.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I'm looking at the replay and on the first td drive I see first teamers, 32, 21, 11, & 7 in there mixed with some second team, and on the 1st and 2nd drive I see mostly second teamers 34, 24, 29, 20, & 35. 3rd team linemen may have been in on those drives, but a lot of the secondary and lbs were second team based on the updated depth chart.

Right, which shows that what he did against La. Tech is far more impressive than yesterday's scrimmage.

Don't get me wrong, he needs as many reps as possible, and yesterday definitely helped shake the rust off, but people shouldn't look at it as much more than that.

LaTech lost to Northwestern State (Southland conference) at home. Hmmmmm, please UNT90, explain to us the football ignorant, what this means.

It means that La. Tech is beatable within CUSA and took an opponent lightly after a huge road win.

Please don't compare Nortwestern St to Nichols. NWS will beat Nichols by 40 when they meet later this year.

Right, which shows that what he did against La. Tech is far more impressive than yesterday's scrimmage.

Don't get me wrong, he needs as many reps as possible, and yesterday definitely helped shake the rust off, but people shouldn't look at it as much more than that.

Impressive is never what yesterday's performance (stats/production) was intended to be. The skill set, talent, composure, and the way Dajon went about yesterday's performance was impressive and that's what we should've been looking for. Not just stats.

Dajon's stats can only be so impressive, but his performance is translatable to when we start playing better opponents. Alternatively, Greer's 9-12 and settling for five field goals against SMU was not a performance that translated well.

Dajon also was not playing yesterday to win a job. He won the job once Coach Mccarney announced him as starter. It was to get him some work going into a bye week, followed by games that will be important as far as bowl, division, and conference implications every week going forward. As he represents by far our best chance at doing all three of those things. Tomorrow we start get ready for Indiana, and Dajon has something to build on and continue to find out all the nuances of becoming a division 1 quarterback. Last year we came out very flat offensively, particularly in the passing game, after both of our bye weeks. Dajon will be the major reason on whether we change that or come out flat. But there is reason for all the optimism surrounding him.

• Upvote 3

You know what sets Dajons apart from out other QBs? He can hit a wide open receiver and not undershoot them with a duck that's 10 yds short

I don't want to go all UNT90 on you but if there is one thing I would gripe about Saturday, it would be DW's accuracy and - to a lesser degree - decision making.

Your point stands! He was better than Greer. But he threw into double coverage, and threw several passes that required WRs to adjust. I hope that gets better because lots of teams on our remaining slate can capitalize where Nicholls State could not.

As far as this thread is concerned, if fans are not allowed to get excited about potentially good things, then what are fans allowed to do?

• Upvote 2

Whatever drives you to be so negative, it's okay. It's not your fault.

its-not-your-fault.jpg

It's funny that being realistic is considered being negative.

But I guess if Mean Green fans had been realistic over the years, they would be dead by their own hand or in a mental institution, so I guess I understand.

Uh-oh, just realized my ultimate fate...

And for the record, I'm also excited about DW's possibilities. I just don't think Saturday's game meant anything but reps. If DW performs half as well against Indiana, then we all have something to be legitimately excited about.

2 weeks.

But I guess if Mean Green fans had been realistic over the years, they would be dead by their own hand or in a mental institution, so I guess I understand.

And for the record, I'm also excited about DW's possibilities. I just don't think Saturday's game meant anything but reps. If DW performs half as well against Indiana, then we all have something to be legitimately excited about.

2 weeks.

Saturday meant something, we could have struggled offensively. Turned out a great day to help break-in a new QB. But skip the field and what we may or may not learned about the possibilities of a Dajon offense. This game gave this fan base a big shot in the arm, and I for one I needed it. I think the value of such a decisive win will prove valuable in confidence building in practice the next two weeks.

So what do we need to see at Indiana? It is the next test? Is winning the only passing grade? Or a just a competitive and executing offense? What do we need to see to be happy? Indiana beating Missouri has me a bit worried. If we stomp them can we go ape shit?

Saturday meant something, we could have struggled offensively. Turned out a great day to help break-in a new QB. But skip the field and what we may or may not learned about the possibilities of a Dajon offense. This game gave this fan base a big shot in the arm, and I for one I needed it. I think the value of such a decisive win will prove valuable in confidence building in practice the next two weeks.

So what do we need to see at Indiana? It is the next test? Is winning the only passing grade? Or a just a competitive and executing offense? What do we need to see to be happy? Indiana beating Missouri has me a bit worried. If we stomp them can we go ape shit?

Yes! To the first and second questions: We need to see a complete game, including pass, run, and play calling on the offensive side; for special teams, continued improvement on the return game that showed promise yesterday after a dismal game at La Tech; for defense, stop the run (although their run game will have some success, just don't let them run at will). We don't have to win for a passing grade, but staying in it long enough, even in a high scoring game, to be in a position to win late, should count for something; we have to learn how to handle close and competitive games. Kevin Wilson was definitely a good hire by the Hoosiers.

If DW throws for over 200 and has a 60% completion rate with 2 or less turnovers, then let the Ape shit commence. Winning that game isn't necessary. Being competitive isn't even necessary. DW playing well relative to the competition IS necessary.

I understand the fans needing a shot in the arm. Just don't lose sight of just how bad that football team was that we beat badly. But we did do what we should have done. And that's a good thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If DW throws for over 200 and has a 60% completion rate with 2 or less turnovers, then let the Ape shit commence. Winning that game isn't necessary. Being competitive isn't even necessary. DW playing well relative to the competition IS necessary.

I understand the fans needing a shot in the arm. Just don't lose sight of just how bad that football team was that we beat badly. But we did do what we should have done. And that's a good thing.

27424758d1394748813-fansproject-stuntico

I can't believe I'm writing this, but I agree with UNT90. Indiana is not a powerhouse in the B1G, but they are far better than anyone else we have on the schedule. If in DW's first star against a P5 team on the road he looks good the we are in good shape for the rest of the year.

But even if he throws 4 INTs it isn't the end of the world. Don't forget we are talking about a guy who camp into camp out of shape, who by his own admission did not study film or the play book early and missed both fall scrimmages. He is working now and it shows.

2 weeks.

So, I don't think you're being realistic. I think you're trying to not get your hopes up, which is entirely different. In fact, I'm thinking you kind of do this every year, post well wait and see, we really don't know anything until game X. Then when it goes sour, which has been pretty much every year but last, you haven't got your hopes up, so you don't feel too let down.

I get it, it's a kind of defense mechanism, and nothing wrong with it at all. Some others do go all crazy we're going to win every game from here on out so you try to balance you're own worry about feeling that, because it isn't really likely.

But, either way, DW is for real. He will win us some games. And it's fun too look forward too. I believe you are looking forward to it too, you just don't want to get too excited because something might go wrong. It happened to us in basketball with Tony Mitchell. I get it, i feel somewhat the same way, but I can sit back and look at the T-Mitch time as well and go, man that was fun, even though it wasn't as fun as I'd hoped it would be. Hope that makes sense.

• Upvote 2