TAP. THE. BRAKES.

UNT90

You're not negative, but you're being perceived as negative because you post your "realistic" perspective as a response to anyone that wants to be positive.

It is what it is.

Look, I really could care less about how I am perceived on a message board.

That is what it is.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Don't forget that the guy McCarney was grooming to take over as DC whenever Skladany hangs it up is now coaching DBs at Indiana.

I would think Joseph could clearly articulate Skalany's defensive strategy to IU's offensive coaches. Our defense will be exploited in this game by an offense that doesnt really need that much help.

• Upvote 1

I expect Skladany to change it up. The forefront of that change up will be press by the corners. Less stunts and more lbs shooting gaps. Skladany knows the scenario and he isn't dumb, he'll mix it up.

True about Skladany. And, I, like you, expect him to throw some folds in his coverage schemes and/or mix in some different blitzes, but for the most part, he's going to adhere to his system... one coach Joseph knows well.

It's going to be an interesting game, no doubt! While IU will have more insight into the defensive philosophy, there is enough variance in defensive play calling to limit that. IU shouldn't know what going to be called! As for changing the defense, I don't think anything significant is going to happen there. First it takes too long with other priorities like scheming IU still there. Secondly, NT can lose this game, even get blown out in this game, and still win the conference and go to a nice bowl.

I hadn't thought about an IU revenge factor, but the two IU fans I know we're embarased about losing to us. If that is more widespread among the players it could factor in.

How IU does this week should tell us a lot about the IU team.

Edited by VideoEagle

I expect Skladany to change it up. The forefront of that change up will be press by the corners. Less stunts and more lbs shooting gaps. Skladany knows the scenario and he isn't dumb, he'll mix it up.

I will be suprised to see buyers in press coverage. James Jones has been playing tighter coverage though.

If skladany comes with the same defense as in the latech game, it will be picked apart. Fred Scott in coverage is not good. We have some fast olbs, but they did not drop back deep enough against latech. They were still keying on Dixon.

I can see chico calling a very creative and unpredictable game because Joseph is on staff, and this may be the game chico can sell Mac on changing things up.

If Buyers can't play press then he can't play corner. That's just the way it is. Press the corners hard and throw the kitchen sink at their QB unexpectedly throughout the game. Make them uncomfortable and keep them behind the down and distance they are comfortable with. Just my 2 cents.

Theres plenty of corners that dont do well at press coverage. Buyers has shown he can hold his own as a college corner. If he has NFL aspirations, and that is getting way ahead of ourselves, then he most likely switches to safety.

as far as press coverage, we probably only have two corners that can press/bump and run and actually wants to do it, and that is JJones and CDavis.

Its easy to get on here and say we should press more, but you have to have other elements to a defense to pull it off. Our corners play like safeties and they help out in the run game. If you press them, it is harder for them to assist in run help because they will be fighting off wrs and they will get run away from plays chacing wrs. They will also get tired a lot faster, and we dont have the depth. And if you have corners pressing, you need to have a dominant front 7 that can get pressure on the qb, and stop the run without help from the safeties.

I think a 10 yard cushion is too much. Hopefully we get at least 5 yards and take away the quick stuff. I have seen Davis and jjones line up 5 yards off of wrs this year on the outside. its really those slot wrs on the lbs and safeties that will give us the most trouble. Buyers has not looked good in coverage either. Hope we see more nickel against Indiana.

Theres plenty of corners that dont do well at press coverage. Buyers has shown he can hold his own as a college corner. If he has NFL aspirations, and that is getting way ahead of ourselves, then he most likely switches to safety.

as far as press coverage, we probably only have two corners that can press/bump and run and actually wants to do it, and that is JJones and CDavis.

Its easy to get on here and say we should press more, but you have to have other elements to a defense to pull it off. Our corners play like safeties and they help out in the run game. If you press them, it is harder for them to assist in run help because they will be fighting off wrs and they will get run away from plays chacing wrs. They will also get tired a lot faster, and we dont have the depth. And if you have corners pressing, you need to have a dominant front 7 that can get pressure on the qb, and stop the run without help from the safeties.

I think a 10 yard cushion is too much. Hopefully we get at least 5 yards and take away the quick stuff. I have seen Davis and jjones line up 5 yards off of wrs this year on the outside. its really those slot wrs on the lbs and safeties that will give us the most trouble. Buyers has not looked good in coverage either. Hope we see more nickel against Indiana.

Obviously don't press every down, actually please don't press every down. Press on unorthodox down and distances while blitzing. Force the QB into making the right decision in a very fast manner. Press jamming will avoid giving the QB the opportunity to hit a go route down the sideline with a blitz in his face. We have to be unorthodox on defense. This will have the offense and more importantly QB second guessing his every decision. Do it on 1st and 10 on 4 or 5 of their possessions. Show it on obvious passing downs then let the CB's bail and lb's drop out. Keep em guessing. Rarely blitzing and playing soft coverage gives a QB confidence.

When your offense is generating 3 plays per drive and turning the ball over it is a problem for any defense on the planet, PRO college or pop warner.

Yes, in the late 3rd and 4th quarter after they have worn down.

Not to start the second.

Every team with a decent QB has ran us out of the stadium this year. I'm waiting to see a good performance against a QB that can throw the forward pass.

Hoping that comes against Indiana.

Edited by UNT90

Not to start the second.

Every team with a decent QB has ran us out of the stadium this year. I'm waiting to see a good performance against a QB that can throw the forward pass.

9 straight three and outs then a TO is demoralizing. It wasn't physical fatigue, it was mental.

• Upvote 2

Obviously don't press every down, actually please don't press every down. Press on unorthodox down and distances while blitzing. Force the QB into making the right decision in a very fast manner. Press jamming will avoid giving the QB the opportunity to hit a go route down the sideline with a blitz in his face. We have to be unorthodox on defense. This will have the offense and more importantly QB second guessing his every decision. Do it on 1st and 10 on 4 or 5 of their possessions. Show it on obvious passing downs then let the CB's bail and lb's drop out. Keep em guessing. Rarely blitzing and playing soft coverage gives a QB confidence.

I agree. I just dont see any indication that skladany will do it. Im surprised by the tight coverage that he is allowing jjones to have this year. Jjones is also jumping some routes, so there is a glimmer of hope. But I just do not see us pressing. I saw skladany at UH, and watched him at UNT. Its bend dont break defense.

He did make one comment about our coverage not being tight enough, so I have to assume he was talking about buyers. I thought he wanted buyers 10 yards off, but apparently he wanted him closer.

Don't forget that the guy McCarney was grooming to take over as DC whenever Skladany hangs it up is now coaching DBs at Indiana.

I would think Joseph could clearly articulate Skalany's defensive strategy to IU's offensive coaches. Our defense will be exploited in this game by an offense that doesnt really need that much help.

Kevin Wilson coached against Skladany when he was at OU's OC and Skladany Iowa State's DC. As long as Wilson has been around, it's not likely that he has to pick Joseph's brain to figure out that Texas and Lousiana Tech skewered us with, really, pretty run-of-the-mill quarterbacks.

A kid who couldn't crack the starting line up of a Big Ten school lit up our secondary for five touchdowns. Wilson surely notices, then, that sub-Big Ten talent at QB can have its way with our secondary.

Anyway, it's not the offense that is a problem for Indiana. Even with Wilson there, it's been their defense. Only Wisconsin and Ohio State held Indiana below 28 points last year. This season, no one has.

This one will be on our offense. Indiana will get their points; there's no question about that. They will get at least 28 and probably much more.

But, everyone has been able to move the ball on them. If we can't move the ball on them, it'll be a long day. Their defense is not great.

That being said, again, don't panic if we lose to Indiana. I'd even say, don't panic even if they blow us out. The time to panic would be if UAB gives us a beating. As stated before, I'll be pleased enough just to hang with Indiana, given our inexperience at so many positions. A bad loss to UAB...that's when I'd be counting parachutes.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1

Not to start the second.

A defense can be tired early in the game. That Nicholls defense was gassed really early against us.

Another big problem with 3 and outs on offense other than fatigue is, the defense does not get a chance to make adjustments. Its just not enough time to discuss what they are doing out there and gameplan. Its helmets back on with the same exact defense and scheme that just got torn up.

I think it was more adjustments and scheme than fatigue, but the offense is still to blame for the defense not having time to come up with the adjustment. If we could have just hit that wide open pass to kidsy, we would have been up 7-0 early 2nd, and its a totally different ballgame.

• Upvote 1

I disagree. A blowout v IU is not acceptable. They are not a dominating team in any facet. We will compete and possibly win.

Yeah folks, they're not that great defensively through the air. Their ground game is decent, but their passing game is meh.

They don't have Kofi Hughes anymore. Cody Latimer is on my taxi squad and will not be on the field.

If we throttle the run game, we got this.