June Jones

GreenBat

Well, if he is gone they'll need a new coach. Considering it's SMU the new guy will need the following traits.

1) Runs a four wide set so that the current personnel will fit

2) Does well with rich kids and having more resources than his peers

Hmm, now who could they go get?

Funny thing is, they mentioned going after a big time high school coach on their board.

I'm just gonna Dodge that question.

Exactly.

There aren't enough FBS-level QBs and WRs in the state that will choose an SMU or North Texas over the bigger schools in the state and region. I think June wrung out as much success as he could get trying to run that offense with the circumstances he has. Hats off to him for that. But, his run is over.

Hard to teach an old dog new tricks, so it's probably time for him to go. Can't see him all of the sudden switching gears and trying to get more of a ground-based attack and a tougher defense.

Stubborn guy, June Jones. Put him in the same situation as Mike Leach. Wazzu is 0-2, but has Portland State at home next week. After that, eight games against the Pac-12. Assuming Leach can somehow get his team past Portland State (right?), Wazzu would have to go 5-4 in the Pac-12 to gain bowl eligibility. Anyone think that's possible? They've been 1-8 and 3-6 in the Pac-12 so far under Leach. Hard to see him digging out 5 more wins after Portland State.

But...

...what an exciting offense! I'm sure that Wazzu fans as thrilled to be 0-2 instead of 1-1 or 2-0 because they aren't led by a coach who calls running plays on first down. They're excited losers.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Remember June is the first coach since the death penalty that has won at SMU. Yes, he is vastly overpaid like most coaches, and this year's team is going to continue to be very bad; but he has accomplished something at SMU. I would guess that he is fired if not during the season after it. SMU will throw a lot of money at someone else like Brown in basketball to try again.

The amazing thing to me is that he and SMU havs just about won ever recruiting battle with NT, yet NT destroyed them.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

I lived in San Diego when June took over as interim head coach of the Chargers after the Kevin Gilbride/Ryan Leaf debacle. At the time, he seemed like a really great guy. When he left to take the job at Hawaii, everybody in San Diego was very supportive of him. He'd been a gracious caretaker of the Chargers, and San Diegans knew that he had roots in Hawaii and just wanted to go home. Then he had the run at Hawaii and took a grossly overrated WAC team to a BCS bowl, where they got smacked around like a broken down pony turning tricks on a seedy street corner in search for its next bump.

Whatever the hell happened between that bowl game and his move to Dallas just seemed to fundamentally alter who he was. Maybe he got blinded by the money. Maybe the Hawaiin hero worship finally got to his ego. I don't know, but I wouldn't pay two dollars, let alone two million of them for him to coach my team today.

I see serious Dodge era parallels over on the ponies board. They have completely given up on football, and can't wait for basketball season to begin (Oh, man, remember basketball? We used to have one of those). But I digress. Whatever Jones has become, he gives off a serious vibe of being an apathetic coach chasing after the biggest check he can find. I think he ends up retiring, or maybe simply going back to Hawaii where they will love him forever based on the history of one glorious (but ultimately exposed) season years ago.

One thing most people over look is the scheduling change Jones accomplished in Hawaii. He got more home games but the average home winning percentage remained about the same.

At SMU Jones got what Bennett had asked for his entire stay at SMU, relaxed academic standards for student athletes.

I liked Bennett and given the same opportunities Jones received, I think Bennett would have done much better.

I happened to remember a comment from this article, written in January, 2011.

I actually feel badly for Georgio. He loves UNT so damn much, a billion times more than any alum I know. He's an optimist, but UNT football stinks and doesn't seem to be changing any time soon. They need to find their June Jones type of coach to turn it around.