UNT Students Lining up for SMU TIX

Harry

FYI, I was told by one of the ticket officials that students and their "guests" will not be turned away on gameday. What does this mean?

We could end up with more students at the game than they actually have student-allocated seats.

Man, wouldn't that be awesome!?

They'll start giving students any open seats, regardless of where they are located. I believe this happened for the Houston game.

• Upvote 1

23K is an ambitious figure since the good citizens of little "d" won't realize that there was a game on Sat. until Mon. Most the artists and horn tooters are not even aware that UNT has a football team or that Apogee is used for anything but a July 4th venue ( which they don't attend since it would cost them to park).

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

23K is an ambitious figure since the good citizens of little "d" won't realize that there was a game on Sat. until Mon. Most the artists and horn tooters are not even aware that UNT has a football team or that Apogee is used for anything but a July 4th venue ( which they don't attend since it would cost them to park).

BOOOOOOO..... I dont know where you are from but you have to give Denton a little bit more respect than this.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

He has not been to Denton since the 40s. It's ok.

He has been to Denton more times than most on this board, and he is correct, the vast majority of Denton does not support UNT Athletics.

For a college town it is very unsupportive compared to other major football college towns. It really doesn't matter except that Athletics focuses it's marketing (if it ever has any) on Denton instead of the whole DFW area 30 minutes away. It's not the University of Denton!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

He has been to Denton more times than most on this board, and he is correct, the vast majority of Denton does not support UNT Athletics.

For a college town it is very unsupportive compared to other major football college towns. It really doesn't matter except that Athletics focuses it's marketing (if it ever has any) on Denton instead of the whole DFW area 30 minutes away. It's not the University of Denton!

Drive through Fort Worth on a Friday in the fall and see the difference.

It's stark.

• Upvote 5

Don't we bring in more new students each year than the entire sum enrollment of either university to the south?

We don't need all of Denton to support us, though it would be nice! If we can string 4 - 5 fantastic seasons, we'd be hooking in the majority of those new students. Whatever amount of new students we average bringing in per year, multiply that by 4 and BAM, sold out Apogee.

It's not the immediate attendance solution we want but I think whatever happens, long term we will be okay.

• Upvote 3

He has been to Denton more times than most on this board, and he is correct, the vast majority of UNT ALUMNI do not support UNT Athletics.

Fixed it for you.

Just like there are alumni who do support athletics there are residents of the city of Denton who do too. In both cases the supporters are in the minority. Why the venom towards Denton and not alumni?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

and always has been...for the last 5 or 6 years.

TCU Football has gotten way more support from FW than UNT Football ever has from Denton. I know you are from there, as am I, but growing up in FW, the Sunday FWST always had the TCU game from the day before on the front page. Of course, it always helped that the good citizens of our hometown got to see Arkansas, Texas, A&M, Tech, Baylor, and SMU roll into town to play at ACS, too. But Ft. Worth trumped them as the hometwon team for at least the last 20-25 years.

Back in 1994, when TCU found out that they were going to get left behind, they and the city started a Group of 100 Team, made up of local business leaders, civic leaders, and educators in the FWISD that helped market the program to the city and to help with attendance. Yes, they didn't have great attendance until they started winning, but they still had better attendance than we ever had with much less of a student body and local alumni base while they were losing.

Things have improved in Denton to where the community will support UNT better than they ever have, if for no other reason than Apogee is a great venue to go to watch a game. But I'd still be that if Denton scheduled an Arts and Jazz festival on a fall weekend, that would dwarf attendance at Apogee on that hypothetical Saturday. Denton is just an arts and music town, in part because UNT is well-known for both. The administration and the BOR butter the bread that the local citizenry wants, whether its students, faculty, or the residents of the town--that just happens to be music and arts over college football.

The administration and the BOR butter the bread that the local citizenry wants, whether its students, faculty, or the residents of the town--that just happens to be music and arts over college football.

The responsible adult reaction is to accept that is the case and understand to each their own.

But for my part I saw that and wanted to say "Well, that's just plain Un-American."

Edited by UNTDoubleAlum
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The responsible adult reaction is to accept that is the case and understand to each their own.

But for my part I saw that and wanted to say "Well, that's just plain Un-American."

I'm right there with you...its not done this way in literally any other college town in the region that I'm aware of, but it is in Denton.

• Downvote 1

You know what? I have never seen even close to 20,000 turn out for any UNT music or art event. Turnout at Apogee beats 'em every time!

Any of you guys seen students line up days in advance for tickets to a UNT art show opening? I must have missed that. I guess I missed the billboards and newspaper and radio and TV spots announcing that Mozart recital too.

Yep...BOR and Administration just ignore athletics....come on folks...

Get yourself to Apogee Saturday and bring a friend. You will want to be part of the first sellout in Apogee history! Beat SMU! They deserve a good Mean Green whippin' !

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

Denton is just an arts and music town, in part because UNT is well-known for both. The administration and the BOR butter the bread that the local citizenry wants, whether its students, faculty, or the residents of the town--that just happens to be music and arts over college football.

I just don't believe this is true. Yes, Denton is probably more fond of music and arts than your average Texas town, but Denton is probably just as football crazy as most Texas towns. They support their high school teams. But for various reasons, there is a wedge between the university and a sizable portion of Denton's citizenry.

The difference between the Denton City Council and the FW City Counsil is also stark. Go to both meetings. See the TCU flag right next to the Texas and USA flag in Fort Worth.

I assume the UNT flag is nowhere near the Denton council chambers as they don't want to "choose sides" between UNT and TWU. Funny how the FW city council has no problem choosing TCU over Texas Weslyan...

Drive through DTFW right now and you will see TCU banners on city owned light poles on just about every street. Has the City of Denton ever done that? I haven't seen it when I have gone to the square the Friday before a home game.

This is equally the fault of the city council and the UNT athletic department. If you drive anywhere near downtown FW in the fall, you know whether TCU is playing that weekend. Downtown Denton? Nothing.

The difference is STARK.

• Downvote 1

The difference between the Denton City Council and the FW City Counsil is also stark. Go to both meetings. See the TCU flag right next to the Texas and USA flag in Fort Worth.

I assume the UNT flag is nowhere near the Denton council chambers as they don't want to "choose sides" between UNT and TWU. Funny how the FW city council has no problem choosing TCU over Texas Weslyan...

Drive through DTFW right now and you will see TCU banners on city owned light poles on just about every street. Has the City of Denton ever done that? I haven't seen it when I have gone to the square the Friday before a home game.

This is equally the fault of the city council and the UNT athletic department. If you drive anywhere near downtown FW in the fall, you know whether TCU is playing that weekend. Downtown Denton? Nothing.

The difference is STARK.

Every year for the last several there have been UNT banners on light poles running down the medians of major streets such as Carroll Ave in Denton.

• Upvote 7