UNT Students Lining up for SMU TIX

Harry

this is how you promote and get rid of other school shirts and pretty sure did not require a visit to AD's office to change said shirt:

"UCA Trade Up 2014 is in the books! 500 non UCA shirts are headed to a charity outside of Conway! Thanks to The UCA Bookstore for the shirts! ‪#‎FearTheStripes‬ ‪#‎BeatUTM‬"

https://www.facebook.com/ucasports/photos/a.114085376579.112786.111051716579/10152206302746580/?type=1

Thats an Awesome idea but That would never happen here

• Downvote 1

this is how you promote and get rid of other school shirts and pretty sure did not require a visit to AD's office to change said shirt:

"UCA Trade Up 2014 is in the books! 500 non UCA shirts are headed to a charity outside of Conway! Thanks to The UCA Bookstore for the shirts! #‎FearTheStripes #‎BeatUTM"

https://www.facebook.com/ucasports/photos/a.114085376579.112786.111051716579/10152206302746580/?type=1

If only some enterprising North Texas student had come up with this idea over a decade ago.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Apogee is a more fan friendly place than Fouts so if UNT can just keep producing on the field more and more people will come out...Or if North Texas Alumns will stop using the excuse that "we suck" and they dont want to waste their money or time. Just show up and support your team through thick and thin and stop being a T-shirt fan (Texas, A&M, and BLOW U) to Schools you didnt even attend. Way too many of those.

More blaming the public. That has worked so well for our athletic department in the RV era.

• Upvote 5

I think people are having a very short and/or selective memory of Ft. Worth's support of TCU. The Ft. Worth I remember had TCU flags on light poles on Berry and S. University and that's about it. I remember some billboards and bumper stickers during the LT for Heisman campaign...but I also knew the family behind most of the funding for those. That wasn't a city thing. And pulling from a city population about 4 times the size of Denton...and understanding that a lot of TCU students/alumni come from Ft. Worth and stay in Ft. Worth...and knowing that TCU was churning out ranked teams...the attendance from 99-04, when TCU was in a similar conference to what UNT is now, is not that far off from what UNT saw last year.

Average attendance -

'99 - 26289 (60% of capacity)

'00 - 32664 (74%)

'01 - 28971 (66%) (with only 4 home games, btw)

'02 - 27813 (63%) (with the UNT game being the largest seller of the season)

'03 - 36155 (82%) (climbed as high as #10 in the poll)

'04 - 29412 (67%) (went 6-6...apparently an average of 7000 people cared less about an average TCU team)

Apogee 2013 - 21030 (68% of capacity...with the bad weather of the UTSA game, which otherwise likely would've been the biggest seller)

None of this is to say that the Denton/UNT relationship doesn't need work...but lets try and gain a little bit of perspective. Neither the product nor the presentation (Fouts) has been appealing to the average Dentonite (hell, alumni either) for the past decade...UNT has done itself few favors in capitalizing on the potential for broader interest.

The city can paint every road green and put an eagle in every pot and attendance probably wouldn't have changed much.

You are using way old stats here. Things have significantly changed since you have been gone, my friend.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

You are using way old stats here. Things have significantly changed since you have been gone, my friend.

sure...namely TCU has won a Rose Bowl, is now in the Big 12 and hosts UT, Tech, Baylor and OU bi-annually.

If nothing else, the city is just re-investing the added tourism revenue those games bring in.

• Upvote 4

Also, SMU, TCU, & UNT are all in DFW. DFW casual fans are notorious for being bandwagon jumpers. If your team is winning, fans will come out in droves to be a part of it. If your team is losing, fans will not show up. There are aberrations to this obviously, (see UNT's attendance issues during DD's bowl run VS the increase during Dodge's tenure, & the Cowboys in general), but overall, it's proven to be true.

Your example of aberrations actually point to what really drives attendance and that is Buzz. That can take the form in many ways, and winning isn't the only way to do it. It can be the ting to do because families have been doing it for generations (Penn State), it can be because you are famous (Notre Dame), or wacky (Loyola Marymount basketball in the late 80's), intriguing (Todd Dodge won state and a million games in a row), or the place to be seen in a freak show of a stadium (Cowboys). Winning can also be Buzz but there are other ways. Winning helps keep them coming back year after year, but it doesn't have to be the only thing.

UTSA is a good example of where buzz generated attendance and it wasn't winning, at least not yet.

Edited by MeanGreenHoops

sure...namely TCU has won a Rose Bowl, is now in the Big 12 and hosts UT, Tech, Baylor and OU bi-annually.

If nothing else, the city is just re-investing the added tourism revenue those games bring in.

No doubt. But the investment began pre-Rose Bowl and pre-Big 12 admittance.

So I guess you could say they are reaping the return on their investment. I wish Dentin invest 1/4 as much.

• Upvote 1

Don't we want to encourage RV to be receptive to others' ideas? I couldn't care less about RV's creativity, or where RV gets new (or even old) promotional ideas, I'd just like to see more of them put into practice.

Yes, but at some point you would like to see something original that works for your athletic department.

I mean, it's only been, what, 15 years?

• Upvote 1

I wish Denton invest 1/4 as much.

perhaps...but perhaps it could prove to just be throwing good money after bad until the product shows consistent improvement.

look...I live now in a college town where the school is essentially the town...the school props up the city. I live a ten minute drive to the gorgeous old football stadium and a ten minute walk to the really cool old basketball facility. I've been to one football game and two basketball games in my 7+ years here...all rivalry games against Harvard...and I like football and at least used to like basketball.

by contrast, I've been to a good dozen or so Yale hockey games. I, for the most part, don't give a damn about hockey.

Why?

because Yale football is awful. Yale basketball has never been better than the depths UNT basketball currently sits. but Yale hockey is consistently ranked and has a national championship back in '12.

The product, the atmosphere, the experience is far better at a hockey game. And that's what it takes to get those with little or no tie to their local university engaged.

• Upvote 2

This is the hardest to forecast crowd at Apogee. I have asked two different AD employees to give me their best guess at attendance tomorrow.

One said "near sellout", the other said "25,000."

Did you go in the chatroom, though?

• Upvote 1

This is the hardest to forecast crowd at Apogee. I have asked two different AD employees to give me their best guess at attendance tomorrow.

One said "near sellout", the other said "25,000."

I was told they are hoping for a walk up crowd of 4k.

I think we will see about standard attendance that we always see for a home opener.

• Upvote 1