Charge of Abuse of Power

"The investigation centered on Mr. Perry’s veto power as governor. His critics asserted that he used that power as leverage to try to get an elected official and influential Democrat and elected official — Rosemary Lehmberg, the district attorney in Travis County — to step down after her arrest for drunken driving last year."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/16/us/gov-rick-perry-of-texas-is-indicted-over-veto-of-funds-for-das-office.html?emc=edit_na_20140815&nlid=61843218&_r=0

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What does this have to do with NT Football?

It was my understanding that the governor appoints those who make decisions regarding UNT. If this legal action results in a different governor, it may have far reaching consequences for UNT and subsequently UNT football.

Edited by Greenrex
  • Upvote 1

It was my understanding that the governor appoints those who make decisions regarding UNT. If this legal action results in a different governor, it may have far reaching consequences for UNT and subsequently UNT football.

Uh, the election in November will result in a different governor long before this process is completed...

Unless he was demonstrably trying to scrap the ethics unit for other than his stated reason, Perry indictment seems pretty sketchy.

— David Axelrod (@davidaxelrod)

August 16, 2014

It seems quite perverse to indict a governor for exercising his clearly delineated constitutional authority.

— Ben White (@morningmoneyben)

August 16, 2014

In top video .. She doesn't sound like it .... her speech is fine....plus she was standing up straight for a long time .. and some people (especially heavy, and she is ) can't walk a straight line like that very well and she actually did it pretty well . Maybe she had some alcohol .. but drunk .. I am not convinced, especially in the first part..

She supposedly had been investigating Perry for some improper tax money donations (or grants) to cancer research that had done little or nothing... (supporters) He was trying to get rid of her. Stay tuned... this could get interesting... it looks like a BS charge but it was done to bring out the other facts.... ( so I hear ).

Check out what he has done with his "enterprise fund" which no one but him controls.... Most of them have gone "belly up" after their execs have made large donations to his political fund.... often in the neighborhood of 15-20% of the amount they received (as reported by DMN) . This whole situation smells bad...

http://blog.chron.com/rickperry/2011/10/texas-enterprise-fund-is-perrys-piggybank-says-report/

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/03/rick-perry-texas-enterprise-fund-audit

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/12/06/1260701/-Rick-Perry-s-Cancer-Slush-Fund-Executive-Indicted#

She pled guilty, so ya, she was drunk.

You also see them taking her blood and telling her they have a warrant for it. Blood results don't lie, ya she was drunks.

She also was drunkenly belligerent when "don't you know who I am" fell on deaf ears. Drunkenly belligerent to the point of being placed in a restraining chair.

This is a political cat fight between one person that loves power so much she refused to step down after committing a crime (there are special rules for liberals, don't you know) and another person so stupid that he didn't think out would look bad if he threatened to cancel funding for the organization that was investigating him (even though it was a HIGHLY political investigation) unless the drunken prosecutor resigned, then allowing him to appoint a republican prosecutor who would end the highly political investigation.

Slick Rick trying to be slick and a crappy district attorney that shouldn't have a job.

Sounds like the perfect pair to me.

In top video .. She doesn't sound like it .... her speech is fine....plus she was standing up straight for a long time .. and some people (especially heavy, and she is ) can't walk a straight line like that very well and she actually did it pretty well . Maybe she had some alcohol .. but drunk .. I am not convinced, especially in the first part..

'Maybe she did have some alcohol'?!

Her BAC was .239, that might have had something to do with her pleading guilty.

http://m.statesman.com/news/news/crime-law/as-lehmberg-heads-to-jail-new-details-about-bookin/nXRjb/

• Upvote 3

one person that loves power so much she refused to step down after committing a crime (there are special rules for liberals, don't you know)

Pretty certain that's a non-partisan quality. No need for anybody to start tossing lib v. con criminals who weathered through and continued political careers around. Pretty much true across the board. But screw the common citizen. You get a DWI like that in my line of work, you're gonna be unemployed for life. Period.

• Upvote 3

Pretty certain that's a non-partisan quality. No need for anybody to start tossing lib v. con criminals who weathered through and continued political careers around. Pretty much true across the board. But screw the common citizen. You get a DWI like that in my line of work, you're gonna be unemployed for life. Period.

Bingo. Politicians are like UT football players pre-Strong.

Break the law? So what!?! Get back in there and represent us!!

Ok ... she was ... the first part of video didn't look like it... never looked at second one... still Perry appears was trying to be trying to squash investigation. Doesn't change my opinion of him.... . It is pretty disgusting to have a judge in that condition though. I know of a guy who passed the bar and wasn't sworn in ( for a while anyway ) ....he had a recent DWI conviction.

Perry a few years when caught for speeding did the same line ... the " Don't you who I am" comment... A video of it exists.

District Attorney <> Judge

Even if Lehmberg was leading an investigation on Perry, her arrest and conviction of DWI would have hurt the case. How can you expect the lead law enforcement officer to be taken seriously when you are have a criminal record that is 100% avoidable (by not driving drunk!).