Choose ONE

emmitt01

I posed the question because I think both are "must wins" for different reasons.

SMU, as mentioned in the thread, boosts local exposure and stature. Also, it gives a leg up in local recruiting. Oh, and watching them lose to ANYONE is a treat.

UTSA is a must because they are starting to gain some serious traction. Dave Campbell's is full of references to how quickly they have become a legitimate player. Perception in the CUSA pecking order is important, especially when there are kids that we go head to head for (though I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how you expect to pass college classes when you can't make this easy choice). Putting last season's loss in the "fluke" column would go a long way to showing that we are indeed on the rise.

• Upvote 1

Yes. We beat UT and lose to both SA & smu, and even end up with a 6-6 record and a bowl, I'm alright.

This would be a bad outcome and is just an obsession with beating UT. This does not help the big picture of the program. No way I would sacrifice beating smu and utsa and a winning season for a UT win and a 6-6 season.

A UT win and a 6-6 season only gives us one week of enjoyment. And does a win over UT change the perception of the program with 6 losses? And some of those losses would have to be against bad teams.

Would it close any gaps with UT? No. it would be considered fluke and Texas would get a pass with it being strongs first game.

on the other hand, we allow teams that we are in competition with to beat us. You allow rice and smu to pull away and utsa to pass us. A 6-6 season would also mean we would be 6-5 and fighting to be bowl eligible and lose that last game to utsa. Horrible season. Great first few Weeks though, then a major choke job.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This would be a bad outcome and is just an obsession with beating UT. This does not help the big picture of the program. No way I would sacrifice beating smu and utsa and a winning season for a UT win and a 6-6 season.

A UT win and a 6-6 season only gives us one week of enjoyment. And does a win over UT change the perception of the program with 6 losses? And some of those losses would have to be against bad teams.

Would it close any gaps with UT? No. it would be considered fluke and Texas would get a pass with it being strongs first game.

on the other hand, we allow teams that we are in competition with to beat us. You allow rice and smu to pull away and utsa to pass us. A 6-6 season would also mean we would be 6-5 and fighting to be bowl eligible and lose that last game to utsa. Horrible season. Great first few Weeks though, then a major choke job.

I think if we did beat UT, the media would spin it that UT played terrible, UT has a new coach, UT overlooked us, nothing about us flat out winning the game.
  • Upvote 1

Since we are in a conference, and since C standings mean lots to NT fans, I'll take the roadrunners.
The reason, say the west is the best side of the conference as it stands in July. We lose a game somewhere in conference by our Thanksgiving date in SA. I would like to go into bowl season with W against this bunch because we are still growing and recruiting against them.

The prize is a date in the league championship game. smu means nothing to most NT fans other than you guys that rely on the damn paper for your sports. Beating UT would mean that we had found a QB. We all would love that!

By the way, UNT has more hits in the central TX sports pages that smu!

SMU leads the all time series 28-4-1

UTSA is 1-0

Give me a win over the Roadrunners. League opponent where we can even the series.

For the most part, SMU has always had big advantages in this match up. The lure of the SWC, paying players, most games played at SMU or neutral site and most of these games were when NT was in a lower class. So long time series standings means little to me. Now the programs are much closer matched and the series is 2 and 2 in the last four.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2

I choose......#BeatTexas #BeatUT #ShockDaWorld #Believe #GoMeanGreen

But in the rules of this thread, I would rather beat UTSA. CUSA West implications could very well be on the line. I'm still not over that loss last year, although in hindsight I'm kind pf glad it happened since without that, we might not have been in HOD Bowl, and that has been the highlight of 2014 so far.

For all those who picked SMU, I understand. Home opener, should be 30K strong and a win will help the momentum of capacity crowds throughout the season as well as defend our crown as Dallas Champions. Plus, it is SMU

The GREAT news is, we really don't have to pick. Let's just go win the next game and stay in the hunt for the CFB playoffs. And yes, I'm serious.

• Upvote 1