MGB: Breaking news -- UNT's Chris Jones to transfer

Incredible that any AD would respond in public in such a manner. Yes, emailing a fan is public. Even if everything he said was true, it was very bad judgment.

However, it is obvious that he is grasping at straws to support his non-action. He just compared what Jones left as a program with what Dodge left. Dodge was totally lost and the program was at close if not at an all time low. Jones had just signed the best class ever or second best to the Robbins/Tubbs' group that Blakeley inherited and as stated before; RV touted as potentially the best team ever at NT.

As I have opined before, every AD makes bad personnel decisions. The good ones though do something about it.

I don't for a minute believe that even RV has any confidence in Benford. I understand he can't state that, but to make idiotic statements defending his inaction and defaming his own student athletes is totally irresponsible.

• Upvote 4

Incredible that any AD would respond in public in such a manner. Yes, emailing a fan is public. Even if everything he said was true, it was very bad judgment.

However, it is obvious that he is grasping at straws to support his non-action. He just compared what Jones left as a program with what Dodge left. Dodge was totally lost and the program was at close if not at an all time low. Jones had just signed the best class ever or second best to the Robbins/Tubbs' group that Blakeley inherited and as stated before; RV touted as potentially the best team ever at NT.

As I have opined before, every AD makes bad personnel decisions. The good ones though do something about it.

I don't for a minute believe that even RV has any confidence in Benford. I understand he can't state that, but to make idiotic statements defending his inaction and defaming his own student athletes is totally irresponsible.

Actually he compared what Jones left to what Trilli left, but ya, pretty damn idiotic, not to mention a huge back hand to the face of JJ.

And you guys honestly think he isn't going to try and sell SMU next year as an alternate home game in football (slight derail, sorry)?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Actually he compared what Jones left to what Trilli left, but ya, pretty damn idiotic, not to mention a huge black hand to the face of JJ.

And you guys honestly think he isn't going to try and sell SMU next year as an alternate home game in football (slight derail, sorry)?

whoa...

(sorry... someone had to lighten the mood)

I have a feeling that RV's hands are tied on this matter.

If that's true, you send out a generic "we believe in the direction of the program" email, not an "it's the players' fault" email.

And if that's true, he needs to work to free those hands and stop making idiotic excuses. They call us the idiot board and then RV sends an email like that? Pot meet kettle.

It's his job. He needs to start doing it and stop BLAMING OTHER PEOPLE FOR HIS MISTAKE.

If that's true, you send out a generic "we believe in the direction of the program" email, not an "it's the players' fault" email.

And if that's true, he needs to work to free those hands and stop making idiotic excuses. They call us the idiot board and then RV sends an email like that? Pot meet kettle.

It's his job. He needs to start doing it and stop BLAMING OTHER PEOPLE FOR HIS MISTAKE.

Exactly.

The excuses = defiance, or ignorance. I really don't think he's ignorant.

Rick,

If you would like to make a move but cannot because the BOR wont let you for financial reasons... Don't respond, instead, file the complaint away in the over-flowing cabinet of fan displeasure, and bring it in (may need to rent a forklift) when the finances are in line. But, please don't tell the fans all of the bogus reasons why this catastrophe is not coach Benford's fault.

Exactly. Benford already has enough problems in recruiting, why add an AD who will privately and publicly talk bad about players to add to the problem?

I bet if anyone were to speak privately to RV about this thread, his main focus would be fury over a private email being made public.

Several of you have asked why I don't address problems directly with the AD. First, I don't give enough money (power) for my words to matter.Secondly, I don't want to be friends with anyone in the AD. I want them to do their job. Friendship, or the appearance of such, allows for manipulation. This situation is a prime example of such, with the AD spreading all sorts of rumors, some pretty vicious, about players. How do they spread them? Through friendship with donors. All in order to avoid responsibility for something that is SQUARELY on their shoulders.

It's a small time way of doing business, and sadly, that's what this AD is.

Edited by UNT90

NO Name POS HT WT Year Hometown Last School
1 Maurice Aniefiok G/F 6-5 212 SO Lagos, Nigeria Mississippi
44 Keith Coleman F 6-10 250 JR Philadelphia, PA Marshalltown CC
4 Armani Flannigan F 6-8 200 JR Rockford, IL Central Wyoming State
24 Kelvin Gaines F/C 6-10 240 RS JR Ocala, FL Cincinnati
5 Chris Jones G 6-2 203 JR Garland, TX Lakeview Centennial HS
10 Austin Mitchell G 6-1 180 SO Plano, TX Plano HS
21 T.J. Taylor G 6-3 215 RS JR Denison, TX Marquette
0 Vertrail Vaughns G 6-2 194 RS SR Mesquite, TX George Mason
33 Colin Voss F 6-7 240 RS JR Grand Rapids, MI Northern Oklahoma
2 Brandan Walton G 6-2 205 RS SR Compton, CA Casper College
3 Alzee Williams G 6-4 182 RS SR Dallas, TX Mississippi Elite Christian Academy
23 Jordan Williams G 6-6 202 JR Dallas, TX Kimball HS

We've lost a significant portion of the roster folks. We had 3 seniors graduate; Coleman dismissed; Gaines "left" for greener pastures; Jones is transferring; and now Mitchell appears to have left the team as well. We only have 5 returning players from last year's squad.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1

More surprises on the way for you, Andrew.

I do not think Jordan or TJ will go anywhere.... They are seniors. Jordan's family is here and TJ I'm pretty sure is out of transfer opportunities. Both players are capable of putting up 30 a night. I'm just concerned about the post and the point. Two very important areas. Hopefully we can fill these voids. I thought Armani was gone a long time ago so I guess it would not surprise me if he was gone.

I do not think Jordan or TJ will go anywhere.... They are seniors. Jordan's family is here and TJ I'm pretty sure is out of transfer opportunities. Both players are capable of putting up 30 a night. I'm just concerned about the post and the point. Two very important areas. Hopefully we can fill these voids. I thought Armani was gone a long time ago so I guess it would not surprise me if he was gone.

Jones is from this area as well (Garland, TX) and he decided to leave the team. I hope Jordan stays but if he decides to leave it would not surprise me.

When have either demonstrated the capability to put up "30 a night."

It's post like this (and many others) that causes just about everyone to question your basketball knowledge.

Jones is from this area as well (Garland, TX) and he decided to leave the team. I hope Jordan stays but if he decides to leave it would not surprise me.

If he does I would wish him good luck and still cheer for him. Both guys are cool though I bleed green. I would just wonder where would they go. I mean is there a lot of demand for guys with one year left. Just curious. Is it really worth it to leave a division team to go play at The D2 level? That won't help someone's career after college ball. Sitting out a year can be risky as well. Where would they end up? Most likely not together. I am more interested in where CJ is going. We can still cheer both Chris and UNT basketball on.