MGB: Breaking news -- UNT's Chris Jones to transfer

I can't believe they are letting him transfer to another school. That is ridiculous.

He will transfer to a D2 school to finish his career.

That is how bad he wants away from Benford.

And I love Benford blaming "college basketball" for another player wanting to get the hell away from him.

• Upvote 1

He will transfer to a D2 school to finish his career.

That is how bad he wants away from Benford.

And I love Benford blaming "college basketball" for another player wanting to get the hell away from him.

I wonder how often seniors, who have not yet graduated, transfer before their senior season. That's not a product of college basketball.
  • Upvote 1

I feel terrible for the players who have been forced to deal with a substandard basketball coach because of an AD that is too stubborn to admit what EVERYONE can see.

But, other than Jordan Williams, I don't know many of their names, being that they come and go so quickly.

• Upvote 2

I tried to post this but in the comments section of the article. But it would not let me.

Transferring out of a program is not part of WINNING College basketball. It's part of LOSING College basketball. When is Rick Villarreal going to admit that Tony Benford means LOSING College basketball?

Edited by GreenBat
  • Upvote 1

Refusing to fire him after 12-20 with Tony Mitchell was bad enough, but blaming players through the rumor mill and through insinuations on Harry's podcast really pushed me over the edge. I wonder if RV is a help or a hindrance to where this program needs to be headed.

I starting to fall squarely in the camp of hinderance.

I said this once and I'll say it again. I will not be going to another North Texas basketball game until the AD takes the program seriously. And if I were a collegiate basketball player, I would stay the heck away from this school. Take your offer from Lamar or Texas A&M-Commerce.

• Upvote 1

I said this once and I'll say it again. I will not be going to another North Texas basketball game until the AD takes the program seriously. And if I were a collegiate basketball player, I would stay the heck away from this school. Take your offer from Lamar or Texas A&M-Commerce.

Last year was the first year since 2000 that I missed every single game.

• Upvote 3

Really? This is what is wrong with our fan base. If I were a recruit I would not want to play here because of fans like you. Zero pride in the university. Obviously this is a huge blow and will definitely affect this team next season. I will still show up to every game and cheer on the team. Stop with all the negativity. The article was already negative so why dog pile on it. Instead let's hope we land some decent recruits to replace all the big losses. If Benford goes at the end of the season that is fine as well. Let's support the next coach and team. Just stop being so negative. Everyone knows this is a major loss and it will affect the program. Move on and focus on who can help us!

I've been around the block longer than you Andrew. You keep living in your fantasy world. Nobody likes to be told their baby is ugly, but this baby is ugly.

Edited by cdizzle86
  • Upvote 7

I hate it for Jordan but maybe this will send a message to RV that the basketball program is coming apart. I have almost totally lost interest since JJ left. Even this thread is too depressing to read. Help!

RV knows the basketball program is coming apart and has known for awhile. RV is the most hard headed SOB and hasn't learned anything from his countless screw ups over the years. Getting rid of Benford would be RV admitting his hire was a huge mistake, something RV's ego won't allow. Still wonder why nobody has seriously looked at hiring RV away?
  • Upvote 2

Technically, since most of you have not been going to games and you have been 'out' for a year or more, you don't actually support this (bb) program.

If we were being technical, I'd say "most" is probably an assumption and not a very technical word. Mean green club support goes to all scholarship athletes and presumably coaches salaries. Technically, they've been supporting the basketball program the entire time?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2