MGB: Breaking news -- UNT's Chris Jones to transfer

Obi Wan Kenobi?

The Darkside is too powerful. The only way to save the Universe is to destroy the Deathstar that is Tony Benford.

• Upvote 1

Of course the school's financial challenges will vastly reduce any likelihood of buying Benford out early now. Forget baseball as well and look for the AD budget to take a hit. Nothing but $hitty news since the bowl win.

• Upvote 1

RV knows the basketball program is coming apart and has known for awhile. RV is the most hard headed SOB and hasn't learned anything from his countless screw ups over the years. Getting rid of Benford would be RV admitting his hire was a huge mistake, something RV's ego won't allow. Still wonder why nobody has seriously looked at hiring RV away?

If this is truly his pride, he should be out the door yesterday. People make mistakes. Refusal to admit a mistake should immediately disqualify him from from his position as AD.

Unforgivable at that level of responsibility.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

I've been around the block longer than you Andrew. You keep living in your fantasy world. Nobody likes to be told their baby is ugly, but this baby is ugly

Don't know where that post from Andrew went, but I guess Andrew just doesn't understand that the most effective way to show your displeasure is to stop spending money. I won't attend this year unless there is a magical turnaround (there won;t be). Quit all the BS rah-rah stuff, Andrew. I'm not caring about something the AD so obviously doesn't.

When UNT starts to care about their basketball team, so will I. Sadly, that is probably a year or 2 down the road.

RV, have fun with your 1k crowds this year. You could have fixed this after Benford year one. You didn't. And that is COMPLETELY on you. Will you ever take responsibility and finally do what needs to be done?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

I have no problem with Chris Jones moving on. Quite frankly, he was painful to watch many times at the point. We conveniently forget how he let the guys down due to academics, now up and quits on the team. Where's the senior leadership from your starting point guard? When faced with some adversity, he quits.

Please review the number of players that have left the women's program (under Mike Peterson and Shanice Stephens) Why is Tony Benford always the fall guy? Was this team expected to do anything this year? (with Chris Jones) Best of luck to the kid with his future plans. Kids, like women, come and go. This coach did not recruit him and you can't expect the new guy to continue to pet players recruited by a prior staff. (See Tony Mitchell) Chris, based on twitter, has been unhappy since JJ left. Stuff happens.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10927797/lsu-grants-releases-anthony-hickey-malik-morgan-shane-hammink

Edited by Cooley
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

I have no problem with Chris Jones moving on. Quite frankly, he was painful to watch many times at the point. We conveniently forget how he let the guys down due to academics, now up and quits on the team. Where's the senior leadership from your starting point guard? When faced with some adversity, he quits.

Please review the number of players that have left the women's program (under Mike Peterson and Shanice Stephens) Why is Tony Benford always the fall guy? Was this team expected to do anything this year? (with Chris Jones) Best of luck to the kid with his future plans. Kids, like women, come and go. This coach did not recruit him and you can't expect the new guy to continue to pet players recruited by a prior staff. (See Tony Mitchell) Chris, based on twitter, has been unhappy since JJ left. Stuff happens.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10927797/lsu-grants-releases-anthony-hickey-malik-morgan-shane-hammink

...well, when people need to bring up shanice stevens to be able to make favorable comparrissons....

• Upvote 4

I am also surprised CJ lasted this long. Seems like he has been unhappy for quite some time. Too bad he didn't get the opportunity to play the 2 like he seemingly wanted. Benford has been a wreck, but he is not alone in having a high number of transfers.

Make the pain stop.

Atleast someone mentioned that his refusal to move to the two is one of the ian reasons he left... I was sure if I said it someone would have jumped all over me. Sometimes players need to accept the role the coach wants. This is still a big loss for Benford and the team... I will still cheer for whatever team he joins (outside of SMU....)

Edited by Andrew

For someone that obviously has basketball knowledge, your continued defense of Benford is quite befuddling. Ok, so the players left over weren't his responsibility (so you say), what about the ones that he recruited? What about the fact that we are chasing undertalented JUCOs begging them to play at UNT? What about the fact that through 2 years of Benford, only one high school recruit has touched the basketball court, and that guy left after one year under Benford? What about the constant turnover with players that Benford brought in (Kid from Cincinnatti, Coleman, PJ, almost all of his first recruiting class not making it to campus)? What do you hold him accountable for? Women's basketball hasn't been much better, but it's women's basketball...

Maybe you had a relationship with Benford through your AAU contacts that biases you toward defending him? I don't know. What is clear at this point is that this program is wondering the desert and will be for another 4 to 5 years. thanks to a TERRIBLE coaching hire and then willfully denying that there is a problem that needs fixing.

• Upvote 3

I'm no fan of Coach Benford. I lost that after his first season here with a team with so much potential. I am, however, a fan of North Texas basketball. As disappointed in the program as I am, I will make as many bball games next season as I can. I will buy season tickets just as I have for the last 30+ years.

But as Cooley said, I am disappointed in the lack of senior leadership displayed by Chris Jones. The basketball program stood behind him when he didn't take care of business in the classroom. He was worked with and welcomed back to the team. And there couldn't be any problem with playing time. And to show his graditude, he quits. Just before his senior season, he quits.

Playing backyaard football and baseball with my friends growing up, we had a common saying for guys that would "take their ball and go home."

Winners never quit. Quitters never win.

Beat Texas

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 5

I can't believe there are actually people here that are blasting Jones for his decision. Jones was an excellent ball player under Coach Jones with loads of potential, and tried to play a different role under Benford. He went from the go to guy under Jones, to a distribution first pg under Benford. A role that he was not suited for and struggled with at times. I hope he goes somewhere he can enjoy his last year.

Petersen, being someone asked is also a disaster at building a team. I would be very happy if both were showed the door. Petersen has an advantage in that there are not many that give two thoughts to girls' basketball. I'm not sure he has anything however, to do with Benford; other then he appears to be another bad hire by RV.

Could someone list the number of players that have transferred out or given up basketball under Benford? Just curious if it is as high as I think it is

Are we counting players who were criminally trespassed before they got to campus, or middle school kids we criminally trespass just to keep them away?

• Upvote 1

For someone that obviously has basketball knowledge, your continued defense of Benford is quite befuddling. Ok, so the players left over weren't his responsibility (so you say), what about the ones that he recruited? What about the fact that we are chasing undertalented JUCOs begging them to play at UNT? What about the fact that through 2 years of Benford, only one high school recruit has touched the basketball court, and that guy left after one year under Benford? What about the constant turnover with players that Benford brought in (Kid from Cincinnatti, Coleman, PJ, almost all of his first recruiting class not making it to campus)? What do you hold him accountable for? Women's basketball hasn't been much better, but it's women's basketball...

Maybe you had a relationship with Benford through your AAU contacts that biases you toward defending him? I don't know. What is clear at this point is that this program is wondering the desert and will be for another 4 to 5 years. thanks to a TERRIBLE coaching hire and then willfully denying that there is a problem that needs fixing.

I have never defended Benford. I just don't understand why you, (mostly) and others, continue to bash the guy to death when clearly he will not be renewed. We just have to ride this out. This school has already taken a PR hit with the misappropriation of millions and we now expect the school to eat another $300k annually on a basketball coach. Sure, I enjoy the men's game more but women's basketball has grown to a point where it is almost as important. Where are those complaints? Many smaller schools in Texas, and other places, got on the map with a strong women's program. Why not UNT?

I've seen bad coaches (hires) come and go since I started following this program in the mid 70's. Never have I'm seen so much animosity directed toward any prior coach. Of course, message boards weren't always around back in my day; which was probably a good thing. Again, not defending Benford. I actually had the pleasure of visiting with Fran Fraschilla during an AAU event in Frisco and have briefly talked to him twice since then. He was my preference but remains very happy @ESPN for only 4-5 months out of the year.

Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Certainly in my 20+ years, there has never been another coach to inherit a comparable roster and underperform so miserably with it.

And this is why the animosity is there, at least from me. It really isn't all Benford's fault, as it was clear to anyone that attended games regularly that first year that Benford was in WAY, WAY over his head as a head coach at this level. Fans were expecting a possible national ranking and an NCAA birth. What they got was a loss to a D2 school on the biggest regular season stage on recent UNT history and a 12-20 season lowlighted by 2 conference losses to a 4 win ULM team and a 1st round blowout at the Suck Belt tournament.

The bitter disappointment would have led to his firing immediately at a school that actually cared about athletics, because retainmemt would have been unacceptable. And we didn't have anything hanging over our heads at that time.

I blame RV for year 2 and every year beyond of the Bemford era. He knew it was a failure and didnt do anything about it.

And to say women's college basketball is as influential or important as men's college basketball is just plain laughable. I'm sorry.

It would be interesting to hear Fly's take on the money situation. He has stated on this forum before that money isn't the problem. It would be interesting to know if the financial crisis has change this.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1